Why do new cars smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep seeing new-newish cars bellowing black smoke out of the exhaust when the accelerate even just moderately. I saw a new Lincoln suv (it said 2.0 ecoboost on the back,maybe an MKX?) accelerate on the hwy to change lanes and black smoke poured out of the exhaust. I see this all the time on new cars only. Why is this?

Please excuse the title typo. Stupid phone touch screen.

I dont see that over the pond...Maybe its just because you are using your CAFE oily water in them (sae20)
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
I dont see that over the pond...Maybe its just because you are using your CAFE oily water in them (sae20)
smile.gif

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I think you're right.

It must be a DI thing in gas engines.
27.gif
That's what I've noticed. Diesel is a totally different animal, and not really a fair comparison.

smile.gif

Our fuel mapping over here is different - we run richer fuel mixture to comply with the local emissions regulations. Not sure if that has something to do with it.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
smile.gif

Funny thing,I wondered this very same thing. Can thin oils get past the rings easier when you put your foot in it vs thicker oils?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
smile.gif

Funny thing,I wondered this very same thing. Can thin oils get past the rings easier when you put your foot in it vs thicker oils?
Oil smoke is blueish in color.

My 2016 eco 3.5 DI dual turbo does no such thing. I also run 0w40, but haven't seen this phenomenon around here. Perhaps it's clearing out the condensation/PCV oil mist that has accumulated in the intercooler.

My GTI will let out a DSG downshift burp accompanied by a small black puff of smoke when I floor it.

No manners at all.

At or near wide open throttle, many cars enter open loop. Those puffs of smoke are usually due to a rich AFR while in that state.

I would imagine it would be like a carbureted engine at WOT....flat out rich.Imagine how that's loading the converter with raw fuel....

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I would imagine it would be like a carbureted engine at WOT....flat out rich.Imagine how that's loading the converter with raw fuel....

Unless it's just your imagination.

When i hammer the throttle on either car in my sig it belches a puff. And with the 2.0T, it makes no difference if i use 5W-30, 5W-40 or 0W-40.

I would venture to say its more of a people granny driving their cars around for a long number of miles that is also exacerbated by the more sooty nature of GDI engines. Then once they get on it once all that soot that was allowed to linger around at 2000 RPM for the past umpteen thousand miles is now being expelled when the engine is actually driven.

I would think if you get behind someone who drives their car hard on the regular and they punch it the smoke would be minimized or eliminated all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back