TPMS "reconditioning" when replacing tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
This my first experience replacing tires on a car with TPMS. I'm currently pricing tires for my Pilot and all the installers are asking for a TPMS "reconditioning" fee, ranging from $5-10/tire.

What exactly is this service, and is it necessary? My TPMS is working fine right now; no warning light or anything.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
This my first experience replacing tires on a car with TPMS. I'm currently pricing tires for my Pilot and all the installers are asking for a TPMS "reconditioning" fee, ranging from $5-10/tire.

What exactly is this service, and is it necessary? My TPMS is working fine right now; no warning light or anything.

They remove the sensor from the wheel, install a new O-ring, and then install a new schrader valve (which they removed to rapidly deflate the tire).

Never had that done, with the shops the replaced tires on my old car.

It's one of those "don't fix if it ain't broke" things.

It's the way they've adjusted to not being able to charge you for new valve stems every time they replace the tires. I'm in the "ain't broke don't fix" camp, too.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
I would hope that fee might include new batteries in the sensors??? (But i've learned not to assume anything..)

Can't be done. They are sealed.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: earlyre
I would hope that fee might include new batteries in the sensors??? (But i've learned not to assume anything..)

Can't be done. They are sealed.

There have been guys who cracked open their sensors and replaced the batteries in them - it's a YMMV operation. Those TPMS sensors are sonically welded together and the CR2032 or similar cell has spot-welded tabs, it's generally not a good idea to solder on a lithium coin cell.

On my Kawi motorcycle the first year TPMS had replaceable batteries. Any time you took it to a dealer for tire change they took out the originals and replaced with the non serviceable type. Non of the originals really had problems other than needing new battery ever few years. I replaced batteries one time in six years.

FWIW, VDO recommends replacing the nut, grommet, and stem (everything except the sensor itself) with every tire service. Probably not really necessary but can't blame 'em for trying !

Are they asking for this service or requiring it ?

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
On my Kawi motorcycle the first year TPMS had replaceable batteries.

I recently had a sensor replaced in my '08 G35 and they gave me the old one. There was a small compartment that was about the size of a 2032 battery and it looked like it could be opened. I didn't try though....

Costco charges $3/tire for this. There's no getting away from it, just like they claim that they will re-balance all tires when doing a rotation. It was explained to me that it's a policy so there's no issues later on down the road that they didn't follow mfg's recommendations.

Last edited:
From Discount Tire's web page:
Tire Installation: Itemized Costs

The costs included in Discount Tire’s $19 tire and wheel installation include:

Labor
Valve stems
TPMS kits
Mounting
Balancing
Center caps
Visual inspection
Life of Tire Maintenance

I've never heard of TPMS reconditioning.

It's a fee for insurance in case they break yours and you know enough to complain.

Yes, there are those for whom the tire shop broke the TPMS and they had to pay for another.

And, there are those who think when they pay for a service, they shouldn't have to pay a separate fee for them to not screw it up.

I would decline this fee and see where that leads. If the old o-ring is happy where it is, it's not going to spontaneously become unhappy.

Unless you were losing air before, it's a scam.

However, you may want new sensors pre-emptively, at most you can get 5-6 years of driving, the
sensor battery dies and you have to take the tire off the rim to replace!

Originally Posted By: mclasser

This is nothing new. Discount Tire has been doing it for years on my cars. It's a CYA, but I can almost guarantee you if you "decline" this they will note it in the file and won't be held liable if anything leaks or fails later. They have also recommended sensor replacement based on age, which I get.

If you're curious, both times I've gone to Tire Rack's facility in Indiana, they've never charged me for this on my Corvette. Not sure if these sensors are different, or if they just bake this into the price of the tires and such.

Originally Posted By: spackard
TPMS kits

I've never heard of TPMS reconditioning.

I'm sure that by "kits" they mean replace the stem, nut, and o-ring, hence "recondition" the TPMS sensor.

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
FWIW, VDO recommends replacing the nut, grommet, and stem (everything except the sensor itself) with every tire service. Probably not really necessary but can't blame 'em for trying !

I actually believe this is a good idea. Leaving them alone for too long has led to some nasty galvanic action for me on several vehicles.

look on YouTube to disable the whole stupid system, did mine in 20 min. if you run multiple wheels or can check or feel a low tire it all makes sense to disable...this all came about when soccer mom's started flipping their Broco's from running low pressure tires that blew out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back