OLM bar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems so. I believe that was done not because the oil was going bad but people were never checking their oil level. So most of the timing chains issues for example were because the oil got low. Cars use oil and longer intervals means people need to check it. Most don't so this was GMs fix.

GMs fix before this on the 3.6 motors was to recall them and flash the OLM to tell it to change sooner.

BMW use to have 20k oil change interval. But people would not use the right oil, not check it, etc... and BMW had to pay for a lot of new motors. I believe the new interval is every 10k since then.

Yes this is my understanding as well. Our 2016 Suburban is at 7,500 miles when the OLM hits 0%. Our 2011 Acadia was at 5,000 miles when the OLM hit 0%. Every time no matter the driving style. Even when we took long 14hr road trips and when we stay home and drive 4 miles one way for weeks at a time not leaving town.

My 06 GM ecotec was in for recall work in 2014 that would have required them to update the car's computer. The OLM will still let me go past 7,500 miles but only under certain conditions. Slow highway in cool weather.

Sounds like the GM OLM is getting less sophisticated over the last decade. Can see having a built in maximum but the same distance no matter the driving style seems really crude. Don't remember my 14 Encore (whose electronics I miss vs. Kia) behaving like this.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Seems so. I believe that was done not because the oil was going bad but people were never checking their oil level. So most of the timing chains issues for example were because the oil got low. Cars use oil and longer intervals means people need to check it. Most don't so this was GMs fix.

GMs fix before this on the 3.6 motors was to recall them and flash the OLM to tell it to change sooner.

BMW use to have 20k oil change interval. But people would not use the right oil, not check it, etc... and BMW had to pay for a lot of new motors. I believe the new interval is every 10k since then.

Not checking oil on a brand new car? I understand that it is new, but it's.......A BRAND NEW CAR!

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Originally Posted By: maxdustington

Not checking oil on a brand new car? I understand that it is new, but it's.......A BRAND NEW CAR!

A modern BMW engine has no oil dipstick, so the traditional way of checking oil level is out. You can of course check through the center console/computer, but many people don't bother. In any event, the oil level sensor will alert the driver if oil needs to be added.

I did a small survey here earlier and yes, all the new Chevy truck V-8’s that we’re build after approx 2013 we’re reporting 7500 miles when the OLM read zero. I’m assuming it was to keep the newly revised AFM system in good shape.

Last edited:
It's not a GM but our 2017 2.3 EB Explorer tracks almost perfectly at a 10% loss per 100 miles for a 10,000 mi OCI. This occurs no matter the season, the heat of summer or frigid winter with lots of remote starting. And the type of driving doesn't seem to change the 10,000 mi countdown. It's the same whether it's summer high speed highway travel or everyday winter commuting.

Whimsey

Have 4 GM cars with the OLM but never monitor it, 5K oil changes is my routine, lowest reading was 65% when reset.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Hammehead
Is this true? GM OLM capped to 7.5k miles since 2013?
http://www.underhoodservice.com/video-oi...amp;bid=2156110

My GM’s are done at 6500 to 7500 on an OCI … but my 2015 ecoboost was about the same … and so is the Fusion Hybrid …
… we probably do 60/40 Highway/City …

Think the computer algorithm is lives in Texas = 7k …I’m OK with that … I shop oil stash and DIY oil changer …

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
It's not a GM but our 2017 2.3 EB Explorer tracks almost perfectly at a 10% loss per 100 miles for a 10,000 mi OCI.
Same here on a '15 Ford CMax Hybrid (which technically only runs the engine about half the miles driven, no kidding). I once thought Ford's iOLM ("i" for intelligent) was really intelligent. There is a 1-year limit of course too.

My '18 Equinox had its OLM triggered at EXACTLY 7,500 miles (less than 1 year too). It won't let it go over a year, for all you short-trippers out there.

GM is having trouble getting soot concentration predictions into their OLM algorithms as of now. Thats why they have dumbed it down to a 7,500 maximum.
A Dow Chemical tribologist once said “GDI engines tend to produce more soot, which can impact timing chain wear."
and Infineum said DI's soot is tough on chains too. https://www.infineuminsight.com/insight/oct-2016/timing-chain-wear

Someday, GM will ask you if you are using a limited list of oils and adjust the OLM upward. For example, they already are in cahoots with Exxon-Mobil for their Mobil1 line, mentioned right in the latest Owner's Manuals too, so they could allow one to go more miles and time on Mobil1 Extended Protection and Mobil1 Annual Protection. Exxon-Mobil is going to great lengths to push "Don't Change Your Oil" in ad campaigns, and projects (proof) such as https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4806775/1

So it is capped at 7,500 miles or one year. If you have 30% remaining at 7,400 it will go to 0% at 7,500. Conclusion is that OLM works fine up to 7,500.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back