Enclosed Trailers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been wanting one for a while, wondering if maybe this will be the year (possible move, general usage). Started looking at CL to see what is available used, and what is new. I'm a bit surprised: all the single axle 6x12's seem to lack trailer brakes. Well, I'm not surprised in terms of "because it's cheaper, duh" but just that they can get away with that these days. Are brakes just uncommon on single axle trailers? and/or special order / pricey trailer?

Yeah, I know, all over the place. As long as I keep my truck I'm actually ok with no brakes on a sub 3k trailer. I trade into a minivan (which would probably not be wise to tow such a trailer with) and I'd need brakes.

Most single axle 6x12 trailers carry a weight rating of 3000 lbs or right under it. In most (not all) states, that mean no trailer brakes are required. Doesn't mean folks don't rountinely overload these (and you may even find a heavier axle setup under one) for registration purposes, 3000 lbs it is...

I'm dithering on what I want. I don't see myself doing "lots" of highway but do see lots of short trips across town. But, our roads definitely suck. I have seen the recommendation for torsion axles though.

1,360 kg (2,999 Ibs) or over, or if the trailer and load equals 50% of the GVWR of the tow vehicle, requires brakes "on all axles" plus a break-away here. A lot of Canadian provinces it's 910 Kg (2005 Lbs), but beware driving near towed trailers / or enjoy your trailering in Nova Scotia (1800 Kg / 3969 lbs) or (gulp) Newfoundland (4,500 Kg / 9923 Lbs).

For enclosed trailers don't overlook horse trailers, they can carry quite a bit and can be found at decent prices, although bigger than maybe what you need.

Around here, people ask ridiculous money for used trailers. Just slightly more and you can get a brand new one.

Might be able to find a brand new one with electric brakes.

You could also just pick up a Dexter axle with brakes and swap it yourself, would be an easy job. Leave the leaf springs bolted on the trailer and just unbolt the U bolts and slide it out. Run some wires for brakes and put a 7 pin plug on it. www.etrailer.com is a good site for trailer parts

Then sell the other axle.

Yeah, trailers seem to hold value. Or at least the asking prices are up there. Seen a few on CL, and gauging by age I know most (all?) will need tires before any long trips. Not a big deal but still bumps the price in my eyes.

Trailer brake prices don't look bad on etrailer. $62 a side, plus wiring. Oh shoot, that's right, now I remember why you mention swapping axles--existing axle probably lacks the 4 bolt flange. That's more like $369 for axle&brakes.

For a 7x12, is dual axle that much better? I don't want to go longer than 12' (well I do but it's going to get unwieldy and fast). I can see myself doing "lots" of tight turning/backing up relative to highway miles. On the flip side, I've been trying to limit to "tall" trailers as a couple of friends are around 6'5".

Probably depends how much it'll be used and how heavy.

If you won't be loading it down super heavy, a single axle might work.

If you got rid of the Tundra, would you pull it with a van? Sounds like too big of a trailer for a van.

That I don't know, just yet. A small 6x12 would be the limit of a Caravan, so it'd be argument for me not to get one. A 7x12 would be an argument to keep a truck around, but then we'd have the minivan as a daily driver, and I'd probably want to give up one of my Camry's as four vehicles seems a bit overkill. Wife drives 20k/year, I do 30k.

I have an Aluma AE58 (5x8, all aluminum enclosed, torsion axles, LEDs). Easily the best automotive purchase I’ve ever made. Fits 4x8 sheets inside, much larger volume than a Suburban, easily towed by a car if you keep the load in-check. Little-to-no maintenance, lifetime registration sticker. No brakes on mine - fully loaded maxes out at 3,000 lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back