Fixed the AC in the Suburban today..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its been hot lately and while driving my 03 suburban down the road the a/c is nice and cold..however at stoplights or idling...no bueno.

I checked everything i could but nothing was wrong. AC works great except while idling...

I had a suspicion it might be the fan clutch.. so i spun it by hand..seemed taut.

The SUV is 15 years old and by the looks of the fan clutch its OEM..so i gambled $50 and installed one.

I spun each by hand side by side and the newer one was a bit tighter but not $50 tighter..

I installed it and started the engine-- ROAR said the fan. I hadnt heard that noise in the 2 years that I have owned it.

Problem solved.. going to take some getting used to the ROARing of the fan but good to know i needed one.

I had two options Heavy Duty or Severe Duty. From what i gather the Severe duty pulls harder more often robbing horsepower and gas mileage. If i made a living towing i would probably do the Severe Duty but the HD one does alot more than the worn out one has been doing.

I replaced the one on my avalanche. The a/c now works great at idle, and low speed. I heard that the other brands would over engage. So i went oem. Was over $100 for the delco oe one.

Last edited:
Had the same thing happen with my grandparent's Trailblazer. A/C was absolutely terrible at awful, I was driving my grandparent's around in 115+ degree heat and it was unbearable. Had my mechanic replace the fan clutch... Incresible A/C, and as you said the roar on startup, had never heard that before.

I just replaced the fan clutch on an 03 Sierra. Same problem, no A.C. At idle. Fan clutched fixed it! Thanks for reminding me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back