Commander 114/115 et al

Status
Not open for further replies.
This comes up every now and then but thought I would ask around again. Did anybody pick up PMA authority to continue supplying parts for these? The ones I see for sale don't seem to be being given away. Makes me think someone has picked up the pieces.

Cheers

A quick Googleing shows that there are at least a few PMA suppliers out there of certain pieces for these birds.
There is also a company called Commander Aero located on a GA airport not far from here that has a pretty good selection of what I guess are NOS parts for these aircraft.
Parts support for these airplanes appears not to be much of an issue.
There is a national type club for the 112/114/115 and those guys would have all of the answers as to any difficulties in obtaining parts.

I'm slipping. I hadn't even thought of tracking down the user group before asking you guys. Thanks for the heads up.

I own a 76 Commander 112, yeah a bit underpowered with the IO-360. I plan to soon pick my plane up with a brand new IO-390 engine, matched with a composite MT prop. I’ll shed some weight and gain 35 horsepower. I can’t answer yet if it was all worth it. I plan to fly a bunch to evaluate.

Yes, there is the commander.org , the owners group that is almost a must do if someone buys, or seriously thinking about buying. The Commanders convention will be in Augusta, GA this year, 21-23 Sept, a great place to see and check out the planes.

Many of the parts are common to other types. There are a few companies who make a handful of parts. Once in a while another airframe is written off, another source of parts. The Commander gets a little more ramp appeal than the average Cherokee, not that it means all that much.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Joe
I own a 76 Commander 112, yeah a bit underpowered with the IO-360. I plan to soon pick my plane up with a brand new IO-390 engine, matched with a composite MT prop. I’ll shed some weight and gain 35 horsepower. I can’t answer yet if it was all worth it. I plan to fly a bunch to evaluate.

Yes, there is the commander.org , the owners group that is almost a must do if someone buys, or seriously thinking about buying. The Commanders convention will be in Augusta, GA this year, 21-23 Sept, a great place to see and check out the planes.

Many of the parts are common to other types. There are a few companies who make a handful of parts. Once in a while another airframe is written off, another source of parts. The Commander gets a little more ramp appeal than the average Cherokee, not that it means all that much.

Just wondering why you picked the MT prop? The Hartzell composite is considerably more efficient and it works very well on the IO390. If it's not too late, see if it's possible.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Joe
Yes, way to late for a prop change. The STC is somewhat tailored for the MT 3-blade, though others may be an option. All those before me went with the MT, maybe not the best reason either.

http://www.aerodyme.com/Firewall_Forward/390_Super_Sheet.pdf

The 3 blade should help with takeoff and climb, maybe not much for top end. Anyhow, I need a lot of flying and testing to evaluate.

Hey, that is a cool package. I get it now. Is the ram air conversion selectable? (can be shut off) 35 more HP will be wonderful, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back