Video pulling Tiger Moutain summit 6.0 Chevy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
Since the first video didn't have sound I turned it on for this one.

I did not exceed 60ish mph or 4500 RPM. Trans temp did not exceed 180.

I am glad I kept the stock exhaust on this one.

I was loaded for 4 days of camping right around 14,500 lbs combined.

You have to turn it up a bit, the camera gets so so sound.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
But, but, but... you need a diesel pickup in order to pull trailers!

smile.gif

If I camped more than 6 months a year (June, July and August we are out almost every weekend) or was heavier, I would consider it.
But this thing is paid for, has 52,000 miles and well does just fine.
smile.gif

Now you need to try a real pass like the Siskyous or over the Rockies. Deadman Pass in Eastern Oregon is a dangerous one even though it’s not so high.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

smile.gif

If I camped more than 6 months a year (June, July and August we are out almost every weekend) or was heavier, I would consider it.
smile.gif

But, just think what you could do with the extra 5 minutes you'd save by pulling faster up the hills!

Unless it's an absolutely huge trailer, I'm not so sold on diesel trucks when usually a gas one can do it for a fraction of the price, with easier and cheaper maintenance.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Now you need to try a real pass like the Siskyous or over the Rockies. Deadman Pass in Eastern Oregon is a dangerous one even though it’s not so high.

I have been over the Continental divide with the setup at least 4 times and all through Yellowstone. Through Idaho, Montana, Colorado and down the West coast.
Didn't have the camera then. Lookout Pass, 4th of July Pass, Snoqualmie pass, Vantage. Truck does just same, I do however slow down at bit on the longer runs.
This recording was really the only one I remembered to turn the Radio down on this trip.
smile.gif

Last edited:

smile.gif

smile.gif

But, just think what you could do with the extra 5 minutes you'd save by pulling faster up the hills!

Unless it's an absolutely huge trailer, I'm not so sold on diesel trucks when usually a gas one can do it for a fraction of the price, with easier and cheaper maintenance.

Here it is.
Trailer is 35'10 overall 6280 dry and 7400lbs scaled when full for 5 days of camping.
Truck is a 6.0/4L80E 4.10 gears 2WD. It is 5820 scaled with me and full tank of gas.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

I have been over the Continental divide with the setup at least 4 times and all through Yellowstone. Through Idaho, Montana, Colorado and down the West coast.
Didn't have the camera then. Lookout Pass, 4th of July Pass, Snoqualmie pass, Vantage. Truck does just same, I do however slow down at bit on the longer runs.
This recording was really the only one I remembered to turn the Radio down on this trip.
smile.gif

Then you have been over some real passes. To me , Snoqualmie is just a hill.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
My truck would have struggled with just me in it.

Heh, I know the feeling! There's several times I wish I had a bigger truck going up our mountains daily. I need to put the GoPro in there one of these days to show how slow it is
laugh.gif

Mike, how hot does the coolant get loaded up like that? Looks like you had nobody infront (directly) of you so I assume you had plenty of clean airflow.

Does yours have a secondary fan? Sounds like our 6.0L in the Class C. Pulling a car around Colorado had to let it sing more than a few times! Even with extreme duty fan clutch I have to watch the coolant temps, no idea on the transmission temps. Probably sound get a temp gauge and change out the cooler with a fan for the transmission. But the trans is shot anyways.

smile.gif

smile.gif

Is this what's termed a "hater' in BITOG current parlance ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow

smile.gif

smile.gif

It sure seems so...

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Does yours have a secondary fan? Sounds like our 6.0L in the Class C. Pulling a car around Colorado had to let it sing more than a few times! Even with extreme duty fan clutch I have to watch the coolant temps, no idea on the transmission temps. Probably sound get a temp gauge and change out the cooler with a fan for the transmission. But the trans is shot anyways.

Nope one big fan with mechanical stock clutch. Even pulling in the heat of the desert I have not seen the temp go above 212 in the truck on the scanner. Maybe a difference in the radiator?

Originally Posted By: Delta
Originally Posted By: E150GT
My truck would have struggled with just me in it.

Heh, I know the feeling! There's several times I wish I had a bigger truck going up our mountains daily. I need to put the GoPro in there one of these days to show how slow it is
laugh.gif

Mike, how hot does the coolant get loaded up like that? Looks like you had nobody infront (directly) of you so I assume you had plenty of clean airflow.

Stays pretty steady. 212 is the highest I have seen on a 4 to 7 percent grade over 10 miles going about 50 to 65 in 100 degree heat. I think the truck has plenty of air flow through the radiator that is why is stays cool. It cam with an aux tranny cool which I replaced with a larger one. Hottest I have seen the transmission temp is 210-215ish. Runs right about 165 to 180 most the time when towing.

Truck is a 6.0/4L80E 4.10 gears 2WD.

A 6.0L and 4.10 gears, no wonder you don't need a diesel.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

I think its both a straight opinion and sarcasm.. Not hating.

Opinion that diesel may not be worth it.

Basically at this towing weight there are plenty of really strong gas engines still.
if you were shopping 1500 series..
Now once you step up to the 2500/3500 or 250/350 models and tow thousands of miles/year diesel starts to be the only option you want.

But for weekend warrior the big ecoboost on the f150 might be a better and cheaper option than the baby powerstroke for example.

I was pricing out the ram 1500 ecodiesel. Real world prices I was seeing $5000 more than the hemi. The hemi is rated for 10340lb and the ecodiesel 7990, the 3.6 pentastar 7600

So you are paying a huge premium for the diesel.. The diesel does make more sense where diesel fuel is cheaper.. for example Ontario vs Ohio.. the numbers are much better up north towards the diesel.

Vs paying a 60cent(25%) premium here in Ohio.. which nullifies most of the mpg advantage.

Originally Posted By: glock19
Truck is a 6.0/4L80E 4.10 gears 2WD.

A 6.0L and 4.10 gears, no wonder you don't need a diesel.

My 3500 has the same set up. But with the larger tires, the engine is only turning around 2400 RPM's at 80 MPH.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith

Nope one big fan with mechanical stock clutch. Even pulling in the heat of the desert I have not seen the temp go above 212 in the truck on the scanner. Maybe a difference in the radiator?

Sounds about the same.. The highest it goes now is one line above 210 whatever that is. Typically between 210 and two lines below. I think the enclosed space of the van chassis doesn't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back