2018 Raptor 3.5 HO break in and oil questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PimTac
I agree with the suggestions of a full synthetic d1G2 and SN+ oil. The brand choice would be your decision. The idea of idling before shutoff is a old one but still a prudent measure, especially after a long highway leg or any kind of towing or hauling.

Be interesting to see if it says something about it in the manual, I know it does for our EcoDiesel:

Originally Posted By: FCA
After full load operation, idle the engine for a few minutes before shutting it down. This idle period will allow the lubricating oil and coolant to carry excess heat away from the turbocharger

Originally Posted By: Brigadier
Do they still make aftermarket turbo timers?

They do, but like others have said most modern turbos are water cooled and will cycle coolant through the turbo with an aux pump. My SRT4 had this, and my GTI has this now.

But also like others have said, not a bad idea to let the engine idle for 60 seconds or so just to cool things down. If I'm romping on things I like to make sure the oil temp is below 220 before shutting down. With all the boost the Raptor is running, I bet things get nice and toasty. Does the Raptor have an oil temp gauge?

I would probably look for Used Oil Analysis of people with the 3.5 Ecoboost who tow. My guess is thats a great indicator of what oils to use (within warranty spec) for the Raptor. It looks like the motor ups the boost about 2psi over standard F150 Ecoboost 3.5. Then again the Raptor has been out awhile, there may already exist some UOAs.

Originally Posted By: s2krunner
What turbos in Ecoboost? Are they oil cooles or water?

My old Evolution uses oil cooled, which i did feel better changed them out quicker than 3k oci or 5k oci.

After long runs in hot days, its better idle for 30 seconds or min before shut off. But i dont know much about Ford Ecoboost.

I would like to see a normal production oil cooled turbo car made this century. My 2003 Jetta 1.8T has a water cooled turbo and an auxiliary water pump that runs after shut down to cool the turbo. There is no need in a modern stock vehicle to let the turbo cool down. They are either cooled by evaporation or by auxiliary cooling.

Normal cars have turbos durable enough to survive the abuse a clueless owner will unwillingly put them through.

Many people on this forum are turbophobic, I don't know why. The turbo whine makes my car sound like a UFO at low speeds!

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
I would like to see a normal production oil cooled turbo car made this century. My 2003 Jetta 1.8T has a water cooled turbo and an auxiliary water pump that runs after shut down to cool the turbo. There is no need in a modern stock vehicle to let the turbo cool down. They are either cooled by evaporation or by auxiliary cooling.

Normal cars have turbos durable enough to survive the abuse a clueless owner will unwillingly put them through.

Many people on this forum are turbophobic, I don't know why. The turbo whine makes my car sound like a UFO at low speeds!

Like OVERKILL mentioned, its actually in some owners manuals to let the car idle before shutting down if driving "spiritedly"...even with the aux cooler pumps. Its in my OM as well.

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
I know very little about turbos .

Everything I have read indicates the turbo NEEDS clean oil . And not only for lubrication of those parts whizzing around at high RPM's . The oil also aids in cooling things .

I would think it depends somewhat on how much you put your foot into it ?
Best of luck to you , :)

You're not the only one, lol. I was under the impression that you did not need to run an oil filter on a turbo car?
Why did you even post in this thread if you know nothing about turbos?

Originally Posted By: 69Torino
Most important thing is to let the truck idle for a minute before shutting it off if you drive it spiritedly at all. A hot turbo will coke the oil in the bearings of the turbo if shut off very hot. Oil and coolant circulating for a minute before shutdown cool the turbo bearing housing quite a bit. Enjoy the new truck, congratulations!

My vote for oil would be Amsoil Signature Series 5w-30, every 5k. But I don’t go an inch over 5k in ANY vehicle, no matter the oil. Oil is cheap. Engines aren’t. Good luck!

I'm not surprised, stuck in the 80s with your oil cooled turbos and 5k OCIs. That "oil is cheap insurance" theory is literally the biggest cliche here on BITOG. The only thing that blanket 5k OCIs do is make you poorer, it's 2018 not 1988. 5K OCIs with a boutique oil, classic case of spending someone else's money.

If you have no insight into the topic, you will probably give bad or incorrect advice. That goes for both of you.

Take your own Advise!!!!

OP I would also recommend Amsoil for your new rig and change every 5k, oils in 2018 like Amsoil can go longer on the OCI if you want. But for me, I love changing my oil, spending time with my truck, looking under the under carriage, checking fluids and making sure all is good with my 45k investment. Spending the extra money on 5k OCI and a good quality oil is time and money well spent.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk

Like OVERKILL mentioned, its actually in some owners manuals to let the car idle before shutting down if driving "spiritedly"...even with the aux cooler pumps. Its in my OM as well.

He is right but didn't go about it in a nice manner. It isn't required but I having been doing it forever out of habit
and even do it in my normally aspirated engines- again for no reason but a bad habit. It wont hurt a thing but as max said it ain't required.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Read the owners manual ! Oil with the proper ratings is oil.

This. I'm not sure why people mess around with oil specs on new cars under warranty.

Originally Posted By: Blaze
What oil is QSUD? My wife has a 3.5 ecoboost and looking for the best product. Thanks.
QUAKER STATE ULTIMATE DURABILITY

I'd dump the factory fill around 1500 miles replace the Motorcraft filter and stick with a full synthetic.. Mobil, castrol, Quaker state, valvoline etc.. of course follow manual recommendations for your climate. I'd follow a 5,000oci

The reason I suggested the QSUD D1G2 5W-30 are:
This vehicle will be under warranty
LSPI
The QSUD D1G2 5W-30 is one of the higher viscosity D1G2 oils I have seen, so far.

If you don't own and have experience with a modern DI turbo engine, I would suggest you not advise on this. It's a whole different game.

Of course I could just follow the owners manual and choose between those options, but if everyone did that there would not be much point to this forum in my opinion (and engines would wear more quickly then we’d like them to). I plan on sticking to factory intervals, but we all know the factory won’t reccomend a short OCI on the first oil change and give detailed break in instructions with the type of oils and the right intervals for this motor. I’m looking for superior insight and protection (hoping to learn more about oil and also the ecoboost motor), not that a semi synthetic motorcraft recommended by the factory wouldn’t work just fine, but I wouldn’t run that any further then 5,000 miles, even though the vehicle could possibly let me go 7-8000 on that oil without instructing me to change it.

I know that redline meets ford specifications in its manual, and was wondering if this motor and this oil pair exceptionally well together. I know redline is group IV and V ester PAO based oils with high MOLY content. Not a total expert on that but I have a good grasp. I’m just looking for oils that will help my engine break in properly and help the engine wear the least over time, as I want to keep it fresh/young throughout its future high mileage life.

Maybe there are lab results from Black Stone or another source that shows the best wear numbers for 3.5L ecoboosts in f150s as I would assume there a few results for the HO. I personally only really know about PUP Amsoil and Redline in terms of its quality and base stocks.

Also I’m aware of the amosil EA filters and the Royal purple full synthetic oil filters as being the best in terms of flow and filtering out the small particles. I assume turbos put more stress on the oil then my 5.7L Hemi would.
I also know all engines react differently to different oils, so hopefully I can find all of this out in this thread or forum. I’m hearing guys suggest QSUD as a good oil.. what makes it so? On the ram forum high MOLY content is important to the Hemi engine, I’m thinking it may be a benefit to all engines especially the ecoboost because of its properties. Also I have heard motorcraft is a good oil as well, I’m just unfarmiliar with its makeup.

Thank you for all your suggestions

As a GENERAL rule of thumb, the DI engines soot the oil and dilute the oil with gasoline. Your engine's DI and port injection should alleviate some of this, but we don't know yet. The soot in DI engine oil was a sufficient enough concern that auto manufacturers pushed for the SN+ spec.
There is only one way to get soot and gasoline out of your oil. Change it. Therefore the recommendation of an initial 2k and then 5k oil change, by me. IF you do a couple of UOA's and your engine isn't doing this, then maybe you can stretch them out.
I don't think QSUD is better or worse, in general, than any other D1G2 SN+ 5W-30 that meets your warranty specs. What it is, is fairly inexpensive for your 5k changes, and it is a little higher in viscosity, so dilution will not bring viscosity down below spec. It also seems as if these turbos chew that oil up pretty well.
You have an EXPENSIVE truck with a high performance D/PI Turbo engine. There is no reason for you to try to stretch OCI's out.

also, of these oils mentioned, which of them have high MOLY content? I have read that this can help with anti wear and keeping the engine running smoothly.

is there way I can find out how much moly the oils you are recommending actually have? and is moly as important in a turbo engine? I know its important to the hemi motor and keeping it running smoothly

Originally Posted By: Fpm2026
also, of these oils mentioned, which of them have high MOLY content? I have read that this can help with anti wear and keeping the engine running smoothly.

is there way I can find out how much moly the oils you are recommending actually have? and is moly as important in a turbo engine? I know its important to the hemi motor and keeping it running smoothly

http://pqiamerica.com/PCMO_Sample_Summary_12_15_2016.html

As far as QSUD, for dexos 1 Gen 2, I bet the calcium has decreased and the magnesium has increased to fight LSPI, but it looks like it has a healthy dose of moly:

http://www.pqiadata.org/QuakerState5W30dexos.html

Last edited:
I did see this on the database, I like the moly content in that oil. I was not sure if the 2015 oil was outdated or different than it is now.

does anyone know the base stocks in QSUD?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back