Which filters better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which one filters debris (all sizes) the best in your opinion during a regular 5000 mile oci. Cellulose or a regular synthetic media filter? Not talking longevity just best filtration. 5000 mile max.

2017 Chevy 5.3 running 0-20 synthetic in Georgia climate .......I am aware of the updated 22psi bypass valve setting FYI

Primarily interested in the Wix 10255 or the 10255xp

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dabo72
Which one filters debris (all sizes) the best in your opinion during a regular 5000 mile oci. Cellulose or a regular synthetic media filter? Not talking longevity just best filtration. 5000 mile max.

2017 Chevy 5.3 running 0-20 synthetic in Georgia climate .......I am aware of the updated 22psi bypass valve setting FYI

For 5K OCIs, you could run the Wix Pro-Tec oil filter and still net 300K on the odometer.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

For 5K OCIs, you could run the Wix Pro-Tec oil filter and still net 300K on the odometer.

So you say cellulose filters better?...I’m not interested in saving a buck for the oil filter. I’m asking which media of the two mentioned do y’all think filters better for my application. Thx

Which one filters debris (all sizes) the best in your opinion during a regular 5000 mile oci. Cellulose or a regular synthetic media filter? Not talking longevity just best filtration. 5000 mile max. 2017 Chevy 5.3 running 0-20 synthetic in Georgia climate .......I am aware of the updated 22psi bypass valve setting FYI Primarily interested in the Wix 10255 or the 10255xp

There is no comparison, synthetic fibre filters down to .02 microns. But then again this varies according to manufacturers

For a blanket statement, synthetic media will filter better (smaller particle filtration with better flow) than cellulose media.

For real world, cellulose media will filter well enough for a 5000 mile OCI that you engine will not notice any difference over it's life.

Depends on how the media is designed. Only indication of filtering performance is ISO 4548-12 test data.

I'll go for anything that is 95% @ 20 microns or better.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Depends on how the media is designed. Only indication of filtering performance is ISO 4548-12 test data.

Would be using a Wix 10255xp if I decide on synthetic

That's not a simple question to answer. You can have any filtration level you want but the "better" it is, the greater the pressure drop through the filter. Honestly you should just buy a decent known good filter and leave it at that; there's a reason why they don't sell sub-micron 100% per pass filters, and it's not because they couldn't make one.

There is nothing wrong with the standard Wix/Napa Gold, or even the Pro-Tec/Napa Proselect

If you're not going to exceed 5k OCI ever, there is no point in spending the extra money on the XP/Platinum

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
There is nothing wrong with the standard Wix/Napa Gold, or even the Pro-Tec/Napa Proselect

If you're not going to exceed 5k OCI ever, there is no point in spending the extra money on the XP/Platinum

Thank you but that was not the question

This is right. Problem is, for the 2017 engine here, the 22 psi bypass pressure issue is overriding.
Therefore, avoid the NAPA Platinum & Wix XP (clones), since they filter terribly. Beta ratios are not good.
Wix regular and NAPA Gold oil filter (clones) both satisfy the 22 psi bypass pressure and have very good 4548-12 performance.
(Fram Ultra actually filters better, but some dummies at Fram have still not updated the bypass pressure, years late.)

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

This is right. Problem is, for the 2017 engine here, the 22 psi bypass pressure issue is overriding.
Therefore, avoid the NAPA Platinum & Wix XP (clones), since they filter terribly. Beta ratios are not good.
Wix regular and NAPA Gold oil filter (clones) both satisfy the 22 psi bypass pressure and have very good 4548-12 performance.
(Fram Ultra actually filters better, but some dummies at Fram have still not updated the bypass pressure, years late.)

So you are suggesting the wix 10255 over the xp due to them not filtering well vs the cellulose 10255.

So you are suggesting the wix 10255 over the xp due to them not filtering well vs the cellulose 10255.

The Wix 10255 and NAPA Gold equivalent are not 100% cellulose. They are a mix of synthetic fibers and cellulose fibers.

Similar to the approach taken in the Fram ToughGuard media, the Mobil1 oil filter media, MicroGreen media, etc.; The mixed, blended method is used a lot.
I do agree that every 100% cellulose media oil filter I've ever seen the 4548-12 results for have been poor, and they also tend to clog sooner, holding less grams of dirt total before getting unacceptable pressure drop.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

Fram is adding a PF64 equivalent to it's Ultra lineup with the 22psi bypass, it's part number XG12060. It's supposed to start hitting the stores this summer.

ok fine, the XP isn't the most efficient filter out there, so you will get better efficiency with the cellulose standard Wix (which actually a mix of cell and syn, but still more efficient than the XP)

The XP's efficiency has been stated to be as low as 50%

ok fine, the XP isn't the most efficient filter out there, so you will get better efficiency with the cellulose standard Wix (which actually a mix of cell and syn, but still more efficient than the XP)

The XP's efficiency has been stated to be as low as 50%

Thanks. It appears most agree the 10255 would filter better than the xp.

Last edited:
Reading with interest:
I've been looking at Donaldson they publish specs for their filters, you might find a good one to suit.
Not answering your question though
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back