2018 Raptor 3.5 HO break in and oil questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, I’ve seen some posts about the eco boost engines and their beak in procedures. 2,000 miles at a semi synthetic oil then change to full synthetic from there on after. Is this the best and correct way?

Also I wasn’t sure if anything was different with the HO Ecoboost motor in the raptor in terms of OCI or break in that’s out of The ordinary . I was thinking of running redline 5w30 after my first oil change, but was wondering what my oil interval could be. I do not have the truck yet and was hearing the normal interval is 7-8000 miles with a motorcraft / mobile 1 full synthetic? I was wondering if the OCI would remain the same with redline. Or if not it would obviously be better to run such a great oil with with the turboed engine. I’m new to turbo engines also. as I was coming from a ram 1500 where I ran 5w30 Redline with Royal Purple Oil filter.

Is there anything I should keep in mind with a turbo engine? Anything to watch out for or make sure I am doing to take the best care of it. I plan on putting a lot of miles on this vehicle as I drive 20-25,000 per year.

I know very little about turbos .

Everything I have read indicates the turbo NEEDS clean oil . And not only for lubrication of those parts whizzing around at high RPM's . The oil also aids in cooling things .

I would think it depends somewhat on how much you put your foot into it ?
Best of luck to you , :)

Guys on here had terrific luck with semi syn castrol Magnatec. They don't seem to market that anymore. I used in a non turbo and it was great, then I tred the full synthetic and HATED it. So I cant rec Magnatec.

Im running QSUD 10w30 NON DEXOS approved AND IT IS EXCELLENT. Best syn Ive run in over a decade by far. Doubt the 5w30 is as good especially in a turbo.

I'll see you at the gas station every other day. 80 - 100 bucks a whack I bet

A 3.5L dual turbo V6 pumping out 450hp deserves a quality oil. I would go with a Dexos1 Gen2 synthetic of the highest grade/viscosity specified in the Owner's Manual. Awesome truck, by the way. Enjoy!

Most important thing is to let the truck idle for a minute before shutting it off if you drive it spiritedly at all. A hot turbo will coke the oil in the bearings of the turbo if shut off very hot. Oil and coolant circulating for a minute before shutdown cool the turbo bearing housing quite a bit. Enjoy the new truck, congratulations!

My vote for oil would be Amsoil Signature Series 5w-30, every 5k. But I don’t go an inch over 5k in ANY vehicle, no matter the oil. Oil is cheap. Engines aren’t. Good luck!

Most important thing is to let the truck idle for a minute before shutting it off if you drive it spiritedly at all.

I do that all of the time regardless how I drive.

Originally Posted By: 69Torino
Most important thing is to let the truck idle for a minute before shutting it off if you drive it spiritedly at all. A hot turbo will coke the oil in the bearings of the turbo if shut off very hot. Oil and coolant circulating for a minute before shutdown cool the turbo bearing housing quite a bit. Enjoy the new truck, congratulations!

My vote for oil would be Amsoil Signature Series 5w-30, every 5k. But I don’t go an inch over 5k in ANY vehicle, no matter the oil. Oil is cheap. Engines aren’t. Good luck!

This isn't really necessary in modern turbo vehicles, and specifically the F150. They are water cooled and the coolant keeps flowing some time after shutdown.

And yes it is port/direct injected. The engines are pretty much identical other than piston part numbers and compression.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WyrTwister

Everything I have read indicates the turbo NEEDS clean oil . And not only for lubrication of those parts whizzing around at high RPM's . The oil also aids in cooling things .

You're not the only one, lol. I was under the impression that you did not need to run an oil filter on a turbo car?
Why did you even post in this thread if you know nothing about turbos?

I'm not surprised, stuck in the 80s with your oil cooled turbos and 5k OCIs. That "oil is cheap insurance" theory is literally the biggest cliche here on BITOG. The only thing that blanket 5k OCIs do is make you poorer, it's 2018 not 1988. 5K OCIs with a boutique oil, classic case of spending someone else's money.

If you have no insight into the topic, you will probably give bad or incorrect advice. That goes for both of you.

Last edited:
What turbos in Ecoboost? Are they oil cooles or water?

My old Evolution uses oil cooled, which i did feel better changed them out quicker than 3k oci or 5k oci.

After long runs in hot days, its better idle for 30 seconds or min before shut off. But i dont know much about Ford Ecoboost.

Originally Posted By: s2krunner
What turbos in Ecoboost? Are they oil cooles or water?

My old Evolution uses oil cooled, which i did feel better changed them out quicker than 3k oci or 5k oci.

After long runs in hot days, its better idle for 30 seconds or min before shut off. But i dont know much about Ford Ecoboost.

In this heat, water cooled turbo or not, I'd let it idle a minute or so after a long run before shutting the engine down if it has a turbo.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Originally Posted By: WyrTwister

You're not the only one, lol. I was under the impression that you did not need to run an oil filter on a turbo car?
Why did you even post in this thread if you know nothing about turbos?

I'm not surprised, stuck in the 80s with your oil cooled turbos and 5k OCIs. That "oil is cheap insurance" theory is literally the biggest cliche here on BITOG. The only thing that blanket 5k OCIs do is make you poorer, it's 2018 not 1988. 5K OCIs with a boutique oil, classic case of spending someone else's money.

If you have no insight into the topic, you will probably give bad or incorrect advice. That goes for both of you.

Hate to wave my thing around, but I am a Master Elite Kia Technician. And Kias have turbos too. Much unlike they did in the 90’s. My advice is prudent.

OP, given how much those trucks cost, honor warranty requirements until the warranty is over, then do what you think is best given the experience of having owned and maintained the truck for a while.

I agree with the suggestions of a full synthetic d1G2 and SN+ oil. The brand choice would be your decision. The idea of idling before shutoff is a old one but still a prudent measure, especially after a long highway leg or any kind of towing or hauling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back