Looking to replace Accord with a new Taurus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two weeks ago I took my Accord up to my fathers house (he's got the driveway room, I don't) and laid the Accord up on jackstands.

Over the course of two weeks, I replaced:

• axles
  • front wheel bearings
  • tie rods
  • ball-joints
  • lower control arms
  • upper control arms with ball-joints
  • front struts
  • intermediate shaft bearing
  • front rotors
  • front pads
  • front caliper brackets
  • front caliper slide pins

As some of you may know, I have been trying to chase down a vibration issue for the better part of two years now. After all of this work was performed, the car re-aligned -- the issue again comes and goes. During this 2 week layup, I was borrowing my fathers 122k mile, 2004 LeSabre. Most of the parts above were warrantied as they have been previously done. But what a chore.

Think I might be looking to sell this Accord outright and get back into something larger. Especially with a family starting around the corner. The LeSabre made me realize 3 things.

• I hate shifting
  • I miss comfort
  • Wow I have a lot of trunk space

I have been looking at some 2017 Taurus in my area. I am super stoked to buy a car with a higher trim level and not have to make modifications to it. For example: stereo, backup camera, bluetooth, Apple CarPlay, etc.

I cannot find anything bad about the 3.5 DOHC motor or transmission in these cars. As far as I know, they don't use oil. The Accord likes it's oil.

The Taurus also can tow according to the manual. It is a must for me to be able to tow my ATV on a trailer. Hitches for the Taurus are cheap.

Last edited:
Why not an Impala? I looked into a newer Taurus for a friend and the interior space for how large the car is overall wasn't impressive. Nice car, just not as roomy as i thought it would be.

Not many problems with those! The 3.5 is a solid motor, the Ecoboost engines had timing chain issues early on but I haven't heard of the NA motors doing that. The 6F50? Trans is also strong, they had early issues but got much better later.

If you go AWD, there are some issues with the pump in the rear differential failing, but not super common either.

Last but not least, they are HEAVY cars and tend to eat the original front suspension components, especially front struts bearing\mounts. Ford has updated the part several times.

My only issue with driving a Taurus is the high belt line and lack of outward visibility. That alone would keep me from buying one.

The Taurus is a larger car as far as exterior dimensions, but it is very cramped inside for a large car and does not make good use of its size. Sit in one before you go any further with this.

Close friends have all said get AWD, but I don't know that I'd see the need for it. I used to drive a '94 LeSabre and an '07/'11 Impala through winters with snow tires. The heavy cars really do well in the snow.

I'd think family stuff would not be an issue, but might want to just make sure kid seats work fine in the backseat. I can't see why not, but I'd check anyhow.

Originally Posted By: redhat
Close friends have all said get AWD, but I don't know that I'd see the need for it. I used to drive a '94 LeSabre and an '07/'11 Impala through winters with snow tires. The heavy cars really do well in the snow.

I'm typically in the camp of "Get the AWD". But if you don't drive in tons of snow, you may not need it. Ford has had some issues with their PTU (power transfer unit, transfer case basically). Not 100% sure about the newest models, but previously they didn't have drain plugs so you couldn't swap the fluid. That combined with the fact it held very little fluid and sat near the hot exhaust caused many to fail. I also think you will get slightly better fuel economy without AWD, and lower vehicle price. With less possibility of mechanical issues and maintenance, non-AWD may make alot of sense.

My parents have the 3.5L in their 2011 Edge. Other than one coil plug going bad just recently (70k miles), its run very well. Its not a rocket ship but it has adequate power and returns great fuel economy even with the taller body and AWD (28ish highway).

My 2010 SHO has just over 126k now and I'd buy another in a heartbeat if I needed something like it again. It's been quite the reliable vehicle for me. No PTU issues or anything like that and I'm sure mine's got a workout in dry, rain, and snow.

It did have some early teething pains but all was taken care of under warranty and has not returned. Since it was an all new model in 2010 I can overlook a lot of that and most was minor things (Trans range sensor, knock sensor, and a few programming issues) that should be well sorted out by now. Have not had issues with suspension parts other than rear tie rod ends but our roads are [censored] here.

It is a BIG car on the outside and "not so big on the inside" but still comfortable and it's an awesome highway cruiser. The trunk is HUGE and the seats fold down so you can put even more stuff in it.

I'd buy another in a heartbeat. It's just a shame Ford has not updated it since, well, 2010. But that does lead to some smoking deals.

Originally Posted By: Zee09
I feel cramped in the Taurus
It's like your stored away in a box
Of course I'm 6'8"

You are quite tall! I am 5'10" so I would be ok in that department.

Every review I have read on the Taurus says that outside it's a big car-inside it's not as roomy as other cars in it's class-by a wide margin.

Originally Posted By: redhat
Originally Posted By: Zee09
I feel cramped in the Taurus
It's like your stored away in a box
Of course I'm 6'8"

You are quite tall! I am 5'10" so I would be ok in that department.

I'm 5'10 and the high window sills were a problem for me. However, I tend to have my seat set relatively low for my height. I prefer looking out the bottom of the windshield vs. out the top.

I'm surprised to hear that about your Accord.

We basically drive the same car, same mileage. I haven't done ANYTHING to mine, except maintenance. Right now, I'm replacing the brakes.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Why not an Impala? I looked into a newer Taurus for a friend and the interior space for how large the car is overall wasn't impressive. Nice car, just not as roomy as i thought it would be.

+1 I would at least check out the Impala before you make a decision. It was the perfect large car (except for the funky looking dash) in my opinion.

My father has a Taurus SHO. It's a nice car.

I consider it roomy, but I'm like 5'6". She's 5' 9" and has no complaints. Very large trunk and very nice ride.

I see what 14accent means about the sills. I have an abnormally large upper body like a gorilla so I have to have the seat higher; not an issue for me.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Every review I have read on the Taurus says that outside it's a big car-inside it's not as roomy as other cars in it's class-by a wide margin.

I believe the reviews say it's like opening up a bank vault to find a piggy bank inside.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: CKN

I believe the reviews say it's like opening up a bank vault to find a piggy bank inside.

That assessment would be absolutely correct.
I cross shopped the Taurus when I bought my Accord.
I found it to have less usable room than the Accord, and frankly found the seating position to be like sitting in a deep bathtub.
Plus, the fact that it was 8K more at the time than the Accord I purchased, made my decision a no brainer.
On the plus side, given Fords current conundrum, new Taurii can be found dirt cheap. One can be had around here for 20K for merely using the door of a Ford store without even breaking wind.
However before you jump at one, you really should drive an Impala. We rented one on a trip to California last summer and I was impressed with it (and I'm not a GM person.)

I agree 100% with this.

You all are right, I should try a new Impala.

For some reason I have been turned off to GM as of late, but perhaps GM shouldn't be on my nix list for small reasons.

Would you all categorize the drivetrain in a 3.6 Impala as good as a Taurus 3.5?

Originally Posted By: Tahoe4Life

I agree 100% with this.

Me three!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back