rust resistant calipers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see those now in RockAuto.

1) A-1 Cardone - uses and powder coating.
2) AC Delco and Raybestos use a zinc coating

Anyone in the rust belt try any of these?

Got a link?

What do they do to prevent rust on the piston, under the pad ears and in the slider pin area? The rest of the area I don't care about. Oh, in the bleeder threads too.

What's the cost bump? I'm sure most are not like me and are not taking their brakes apart on a yearly basis to lube and inspect. But one could. If not, they can always clean up most areas of any rust without too much effort. At least until the caliper piston gives up.

With new calipers, I used to paint them in the old days, then coat neverseize on the bleeder screws and brake line threads.

The rustoleum on the 35 year old calipers on my 71 Cutlass is still holding up, though it sees no salt.

I installed a Cardone Ultra Premium caliper in March of 2016 in my Element, no problems so far, and they have not rusted. The Element doesn't get driven much anymore though, however, it was parked outside on the street for at least a year during that time frame and the replaced caliper was on the street side (driver side front). I'll double check the rust-free status and grab a pic tonight.

I have the Napa Eclipse, which is the same as Cardone Ultra except the coating is black instead of silver. They are still holding up just fine after a year
thumbsup2.gif

I have always taken a 1" paint brush and Rustoleum BBQ black paint to my calipers and brackets.

Always holds up and looks great.

The most important thing is to change the brake fluid every2 -3 years !

As the fluid ages it acquires more and more water which is then transported to all the internal parts of the breaking system thereby producing rust.

Last edited:
Mopar OE's are zinc plated *and I feel like hold up well.

Can e coating withstand caliper temperatures?

Last edited:
Powder coating will last or you could just paint them. G2 USA has a good paint or use POR15.
As stated earlier, change the fluid every 2-3 years as well.

I've looked at the cost differential between coated and bare and decided I'd just bolt on rebuilt uncoated calipers when I think they're getting too ugly. I've been hitting them with brakeclean and spray painting them white with a normal $4 can of rustoleum.

The second gen f-body calipers are $15 so frequent renewal isn't cost prohibitive.

At that price point you can’t complain. I used to do that (rustoleum) and found it worked better than the caliper paint.
I was rust proofing the undercarriage so I figured I would POR everything else.

I've installed a few of the Cardone/Napa powder coated ones, they seem to look good for a couple years anyways.
After that they start to rust like any other in the salt belt.

I just installed one of the zinc coated Raybestos ones from Rockauto on my F350, we'll see how that one holds up.
It appeared to be of good quality.

Originally Posted By: cronk
I've installed a few of the Cardone/Napa powder coated ones, they seem to look good for a couple years anyways.
After that they start to rust like any other in the salt belt.

I just installed one of the zinc coated Raybestos ones from Rockauto on my F350, we'll see how that one holds up.
It appeared to be of good quality.

A couple years is great! Obviously it's not forever, but still definitely not bad at all!

Non-coated calipers rust overnight
crazy2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back