ADAC 2018 All-Season Tire Tire.... surprise winner

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.adac.de/rund-ums-fahrzeug/reifen/ganzjahresreifen-test/
Nexen beats out Michelin, Continental, Goodyear and Nokian

Surprise loser, is Michelin.

Test winner: Nexen N blue 4 Season

To solve the goal conflicts succeeds in the test the Nexen N blue 4 Season best. With good performances on wet and ice, the Korean tire on dry and snow-covered road is a bit weaker, but still acceptable. The new AllSeasonContact from Conti , on the other hand, solves the classic conflict of objectives of wetness vs. Snow very well - but at the expense of performance on dry roads.

On dry land, the next-ranked Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen-2 and Nokian Wheatherproof are also showing weaknesses. With the exception of the Firestone (worst dry and wet performance), all tires behind it ride on snow only below average - even the most expensive model in the test, the low- wear CrossClimate from Michelin

No surprise there, I have been saying Michelin is grossly overrated and over priced for years on here, here is the proof of real testing not opinion driven bias reviews. Their summer tires are not bad but shorter lived than the P Zero.

This was a European test of all weather tires in a 14" tires. I believe the best options for people in places that get snow is to have two sets of tires one for summer and a real dedicated set of winter tires (not all-weathers) for winter. I don't like that manufacturers are blurring the lines of what a real winter tire is.

4 dedicated snow aka winter tyres beat all season but winter tyres hands down!!! my 2001 jetta left 4wd's behind unless snow was too deep. bought snow tyres mounted + bal free on decent cheap alloy rims from discount tire. easy to change yearly in my garage, safe + economical IMO. snow tyres need to be MANDATORY in the snow belt IMO!!!

Originally Posted By: FordFocus
This was a European test of all weather tires in a 14" tires. I believe the best options for people in places that get snow is to have two sets of tires one for summer and a real dedicated set of winter tires (not all-weathers) for winter. I don't like that manufacturers are blurring the lines of what a real winter tire is.

These tires are the direct result of jurisdictions requiring winter tires during the season. These all-season tires are technically compliant with teh letter of the law but allow people to use one set of tires year-round. Quebec has done this for a few years, and Germany since the beginning of 2018. There are a few others.

Vredestein was the first company to make all-season tires with the 3-peak sign. The original Quatrac debuted in 1993
smile.gif

Michelins are the greatest tires in the world....especially on Crown Vics......

My scion gets through the same amount of snow as my impreza did both with all season but would get stuck at times because the awd would dig me in. The scion has thin tires and the cars light it just pulls right through 5-6 inches with ease.

Originally Posted By: FordFocus

That the normal way, summer tires and winter tires on 2 sets of wheels, alloys for the summer and steelies with hub caps for the winter. The all season tire are mostly popular in North America which is no surprise given 400 HP cars and the parking lot speed limits. Speed boat in a bathtub job.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Michelins are the greatest tires in the world....especially on Crown Vics......

Greatest at what, going bald young?

I would never use Nexen. Bad quality and awful/lack of customer service.

Initial test is fine if you change your tires every 1000 miles. But I need a tire to last and perform over 30k+.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
I would never use Nexen. Bad quality and awful/lack of customer service.

Initial test is fine if you change your tires every 1000 miles. But I need a tire to last and perform over 30k+.

I had a set of Winguard Sports that lasted me 2 winter seasons plus a summer season. With the mileage I put on my car (around 25,000 miles annually), I didn't have complains about them. The summer season was to completely wear them out before putting on Nokian WR G3's.

I would have considered Nexen's for my all-season choice, but their price compared to the Nokian Z-line A/S (more expensive) made me purchase the Nokians.

The CP672 is pretty highly ranked in Consumer Reports as well.

When it comes time to replace the Nitto SN-2's on my car, the Winguard Sport2 is a potential contender vs Nokian WR G3 SUV (or if the G4 SUV comes out for this season or not).

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Nexen is moving up in the world. N'Fera RU1 is N-Rated and factory installed on the Macan and Cayenne.

What does N-Rated mean in relation to Porsche?

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

To solve the goal conflicts succeeds in the test the Nexen N blue 4 Season best. With good performances on wet and ice, the Korean tire on dry and snow-covered road is a bit weaker, but still acceptable. The new AllSeasonContact from Conti , on the other hand, solves the classic conflict of objectives of wetness vs. Snow very well - but at the expense of performance on dry roads.

On dry land, the next-ranked Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen-2 and Nokian Wheatherproof are also showing weaknesses. With the exception of the Firestone (worst dry and wet performance), all tires behind it ride on snow only below average - even the most expensive model in the test, the low- wear CrossClimate from Michelin

LOL, I am waiting 25 years for ADAC to test tires after 20k.
This is not first time ADAC has "surprise" winner.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

THe problem with the 20K test is how you do simulate the appropriate environmental aging? Some people drive over 20,000 miles per year, and others drive less than that.

Some tests have had the tires shaved down to simulate wear, but people balk at it because it doesn't take into account the environmental aging.

See https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4780970/AAA:Replace_worn_tires_at_4/32#Post4780970

THe problem with the 20K test is how you do simulate the appropriate environmental aging? Some people drive over 20,000 miles per year, and others drive less than that.

Some tests have had the tires shaved down to simulate wear, but people balk at it because it doesn't take into account the environmental aging.

See https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4780970/AAA:Replace_worn_tires_at_4/32#Post4780970

True, that is valid point. Still, based on experience I have slight feeling I will stick to Michelin and skip Nexen.
I can guarantee you you will not find too many Nexen's in Europe too, ADAC test or not.

True, that is valid point. Still, based on experience I have slight feeling I will stick to Michelin and skip Nexen.
I can guarantee you you will not find too many Nexen's in Europe too, ADAC test or not.

Porsche did select Nexen to supply factory tires to them.

You're not going to find too many Nexens in Europe or North America because they are a growing brand, and it takes time to establish a good reputation to increase market share. Michelin and Continental have a huge head start on them.

Quote:
Porsche did select Nexen to supply factory tires to them.

You're not going to find too many Nexens in Europe or North America because they are a growing brand, and it takes time to establish a good reputation to increase market share. Michelin and Continental have a huge head start on them.

Same happened with Hankook and Kumho some two decades ago. I remember when Hankook and Kumho suddenly spiked at the top of ADAC tests.
Even today when I think of Kumho Ecsta LX I got on VW CC when I bought car I start to pray think of their braking performance in wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back