Quarts vs Jugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much more are you willing to pay to purchase oil in quarts versus 1-gal or 5-qt jugs?

Obviously the price difference at WM between quarts and jugs is astronomical, but if the price difference was less, would you consider paying more for quarts?

Nope. I've pretty much decided that I'm keeping one oil and buying it in 5 gallon jugs. Done with buying 1qt and 5qt bottles.

If the car takes the full 5 quarts, or something that can round to 5 quarts, I just use the jug.

Otherwise, I can usually wait for a sale where they have those 5 quarts and a filter deals. The single quart bottles are easier to pour, and if you car doesn't take the full 5 quarts, the leftover oil is in a small bottle not a big jug taking up space.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
How much more are you willing to pay to purchase oil in quarts versus 1-gal or 5-qt jugs?

Obviously the price difference at WM between quarts and jugs is astronomical, but if the price difference was less, would you consider paying more for quarts?

Even buying oil for 6 vehicles … I’d be better off with gallon jugs … not 5 quarts …
So I need a combination of jugs and quarts and do wish quarts were more affordable …

I don't throw away all my empty quart bottles. So if I have a half-quart leftover from a five quart jug, I grab a funnel and put that half quart into a small one quart container - then toss the large container into my city's large recycle can, for weekly pickup.

I use the same large laundry soap containers repeatedly, when draining my old oil. I need containers that holds at least six quarts - that I take to Advanced Auto periodically for recycling..

Quarts.... Formula Shell for $2.94 everyday price at HD is ok enough for me. Though I like it better at less than $2 on sale. This sure beats Valvoline at AAP not on sale for near $7 a qt.

5 qt container I have always shot for less than $30. I didn't mind paying $27.97 for Pennzoil Ultra at WW.

Though I like getting some 5 qt container synthetic oils for $20 or less. I didn't mind getting Valvoline Advanced for $21.97 from Wally World.

I like having a quart for a spare to keep in the vehicle. Otherwise couldn't care less.

Honestly I just have an oil shelf full of 5 quart jugs, gallon jugs, and lots of random single quarts. Doesn’t bother me really, I always have something on hand that will work for a random friend or neighbor that needs an oil change or a quart dumped in. Also have a 5 gallon bucket full of Valvoline Synthetic 5w-30 with a Lincoln bucket pump on top. I call it my “bulk oil”. I use an empty Valvoline easy pour jug to measure it out.

We used to buy oil from Southern States in reusable 5-gallon steel cans with spouts. Sometimes there were 10-quart single-use steel cans. Then in 1-quart paper-and-steel cans, 24 of them per box. Then in 1-quart plastic bottles, only 12 per box. Then only a few years ago the marketing folks decided to drastically increase prices of quarts, and offer competitive pricing only on clumsy 5-quart bottles. Single quarts (or liters, which wouldn't matter much) are more convenient, but less efficient in utilization of shelf space in stores.

Whichever is cheaper.

I would not pay more for qts than the price per/qt in the jug if I had to buy oil at regular price.
I personally see no reason to buy qt bottles at full retail.

I do have ~42 qts in qt bottles, ~70 qts in 4/5 qt jugs.
I do have a few empty qt bottles (the red Havoline) that I re-use to keep top off oil in my vehicles that I fill from the jugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back