"bag rage" in OZ markets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Single use plastic bags banned as of July 1, people don't like it. OZ Bag ban

Haven't heard much about it except in that state all the way to the left.

It’s all for show as protecting the environment. The bags are not the issue, it’s the people who discard them irresponsibly. Many people reuse the bag for trash or other purposes. Now they have to buy plastic trash bags.

Nothing has been gained.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

It’s all for show as protecting the environment. The bags are not the issue, it’s the people who discard them irresponsibly. Many people reuse the bag for trash or other purposes. Now they have to buy plastic trash bags.

Nothing has been gained.

Agreed. We use our plastic bags in the kitchen garbage, picking up after our dog, and picking up yard debris, among other things. If they were banned here we would have to buy them.

I always used every grocery plastic bag for garbage, never one wasted. Now they have the ban. At first I was annoyed because I didn't do anything wrong myself. But others do and they are flying all over places. So I buy a box of large kitchen bags at WM for cheap and they are far better anyway. I have a box in the car and use that to bring groceries in the house. Ban is a good idea, happy they have it.

I live one mile from the ocean and go walk there every day with dog. I always am picking up trash and dog poop on beaches, mainly tourist's. Haven't see the grocery bags for awhile, and that's a good thing.

Plastic straws are very bad, sharp. They were showing a turtle with one through his mouth up through his nose.

$0.11/bag is too much for my blood. $15.99 for 1000, then keep a handful in the trunk.

Are they after your plastic straws yet?

Originally Posted By: PimTac

Nothing has been gained.

Plastic bags are the issue. It has nothing to do with show, it is for a reason. A lot has been gained. Sometimes being anti everything protecting our environment is wrong.

Isn't it interesting that "green" grocery stores in the US have "banned" plastic bags but they'll charge you for a paper bag. Oh no this was all about the so-called "environment" not actually greed.. no.. never greed.. ya right..
crackmeup2.gif

We switched to reusable bags 10 years ago. I keep some in my car and my wife has fancy ones in her car. Aldis doesn't even have bags. You either bring your own or scavenge through the cardboard boxes they are recycling to find a box that suits your stuff.

Why would there be more? People use the same number of bags whether free or 11 cents each.

I think it's more the "externalities" that's the issue and not the numbers used. If you haven't heard anything about banning single-use bags, them you must not live where there are people because it's been an issue for over a decade in several states.

There's a whole calculated mindset to this idea in some municipalities about banning versus fees vs. what type of bags to offer and where. The plastic bags that you pay for where I live are both better quality and recyclable vs. the paper thin bags that are more a cover for what you bought and serve more as an immediate nuisance than something you'd re-purpose.

Obviously, the idea is to alter consumer behavior sometimes combined with the idea of stopping the discarding of one type of bag in one area or bags from one type of store versus another. Studies show they can differ significantly. It makes sense on that level and definitely has an impact on the trash created by the "wrong" type of bag in areas / retail outlets where it's been shown they're more likely to be tossed. In my mind at least, that's good "nanny state" vs. bad "nanny state" especially when you put it against the "Pacific Garbage Patch" and the **** that's getting into our food chain.

Why would there be more? People use the same number of bags whether free or 11 cents each.

Before people would mindlessly get bags; and they'd fly away if they want to eat their ice cream sandwich or snapple or whatever in the parking lot. Perhaps they fail to get it all the way into the garbage can,
Now because they're asked, and it costs a trivial price, a percentage of people will decline when they don't need a bag and use their hands to carry it out.

When talking about the environment, you can talk about the environment as a global thing, or a local thing. This is more about the local environment. IN terms of your city, county, state; you have has plastic bags in your trees; sides of the road gutters etc.
You could just say there's no need to gather garbage and just throw it on the side of the road. Whether it's on the side of the road or in a landfill has nil affect on the global environment; but it makes it worse for the humans who live there. Same goes for the plastic bags; which uniquely tends to fly and get caught high up and everywhere versus other litter that's slightly easier to pick up.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4793507/Re:_Oz_Planstic_Bag_Bans_-_not

Originally Posted By: Shannow
From Silk's thread on cotton bags...

Originally Posted By: Shannow
My "single use" bags brought the groceries home.
Then packed my lunch for work

Then either collected the use kitty litter; or
Lined the kitchen bin/tidy to gather the junk before going into the bin.

"single use"...used three times.

Now I need to buy bags to put the kitty litter in, or line the kitchen tidy.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/envir...15bcb71e20c708f

Quote:
A 2009 report produced for Woolworths by researchers at RMIT calculated the environmental impact of single use carrier bags versus their reusable counterparts.
The classic supermarket bag, the type being banned, is made from high density polyethylene (HDPE). Compared to other bags it’s not that great environmentally — but it certainly doesn’t have the worst impact.
On measures such as its contribution to global warming and water usage, it actually scores well. In landfill they compress and so take up very little space. But it falls down on energy consumption and the effect on marine life.
Other research has said light density polyethylene (LDPE) bags, the thicker type available for a few cents at the supermarket, are generally worse than their thinner counterparts.
So called “green bags” made from polypropylene (PP), use fewer materials but produce a lot of waste, but overall they are better than HDPE bags.

Quote:
However, “single-use” plastic bags aren’t really used once at all.
“Most shopping bags are used twice because people take them home and use them as rubbish bags or for picking up dog poop and that further reduces their environmental impact,” said Dr Thornton.
Every time an HDPE bag is reused, the environmental hurdle other bags have to jump over to better them increases. Paper bags, which aren’t all that strong, have to be used six times; green bags 20+ times and a cotton bag more than 260 times.
If you use a plastic bag to carry your shopping home, take your lunch to work and then pick up your pet’s waste then, according to Woolies figures at least, you might have to use your green bag hundreds of times for it to be truly green in comparison.

And YES, now that they've got that win under their belt, they didn't even have time to take a breath before announcing drinking straws are their next target.

Originally Posted By: raytseng

Before people would mindlessly get bags; and they'd fly away if they want to eat their ice cream sandwich or snapple or whatever in the parking lot. Perhaps they fail to get it all the way into the garbage can,
Now because they're asked, and it costs a trivial price, a percentage of people will decline when they don't need a bag and use their hands to carry it out.

Obviously your fines for being an idiot aren't either large enough or enforced enough.

When talking about the environment, you can talk about the environment as a global thing, or a local thing. This is more about the local environment. IN terms of your city, county, state; you have has plastic bags in your trees; sides of the road gutters etc.

Here's the creek right next to our town dump...signage everywhere that failure to cover a load is $200 on the spot fine...no bags in the creek and trees, and none escaping the landfill.

Here's my creek (the one out the front)...walking along it the other day, we have more problems with single use TVs (one), Truck Batteries (two), Truck Oil filters (two), and dogs (one, yesterday shallowly buried, going to see the council about that today).

The other thread has people talking sea turtles, when I'm 140km inland, and all the sea turtles died out here long ago...it's not a problem when people are held to account...and per my other thread, the alternatives aren't that "green"

You could just say there's no need to gather garbage and just throw it on the side of the road. Whether it's on the side of the road or in a landfill has nil affect on the global environment; but it makes it worse for the humans who live there. Same goes for the plastic bags; which uniquely tends to fly and get caught high up and everywhere versus other litter that's slightly easier to pick up.

That's a silly strawman argument (the thro it at the side of the road argument)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Why not just go back to the good old days when all they used was paper bags?

Is anybody old enough to remember that it was the environmentalists who demanded we stop using paper bags to save the forest? I do. Now they want to do away with plastic bags. All I'm sayin is: put one of those bags out in the sun for a couple months and see how it desintigrates.(can't spell that word today)

Not sure how long the plastic bag ban has been in effect in my town, but at least a year and a half.

I was annoyed when implemented, as I too, used those bags as garbage bags.

BUT, I have found that all the other products that i buy that come in plastic bags, work equally well as garbage bags, and are less likely to leak coffee grinds. So I have not purchased a single plastic bag to use as a garbage bag.

I did not have a dog before the ban, but now I do, and the only plastic bags I buy are the ones designed for dogpoo, and I do not have to worry about if they have holes in them or not, like I would with the regular plastic grocery bags or the plastic bags my landlord's newspapers come in.

As far as having to remember to bring my own bag into the store or have to pay a dime for a thicker reusable plastic bag, well that is also become a complete Non issue. In fact Since I bring my own bag, I also do not wait for the clerk to bag my items, but pack them myself and get out of the store quicker, and the line behind me, also moves faster and the clerk thanks me for bagging my own stuff.

So whine and whinge and complain, but a plastic bag ban in my experience of living in a town with one, is basically of no consequence to one's lifestyle, unless one is simply overwhelmingly self important and loves to hear themselves complain, in which case they should be thankful that government has given them what they ultimately want, which is yet one more reason to complain.

For those who feel they must outwit the system, most every store that can no longer give away disposable bags for free, still has a large recycling bin filled with them, and one can simply go over and grab a few, and reuse those that others have recycled, and not pay the outrageous dime for a thicker reusable plastic bag. And, even better, you still get to complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back