Tires - brand new - stored..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a car in storage, life happens. I have brand new tires for this car, stored in bags (sealed) and in a cool, dry environment, inside my place. Nowhere near any ozone-generating appliances. I bought them 2 years ago, but the car got stored, instead.

My question is this. They have a production date of July 2016, and here we are two years later. I've heard that tires usually have a 6-7 year expiration date. Are these tires ok to use or I should just buy new?

Last edited:
thanks eddie! I have taken them out of the bags to look and the sidewalls look perfect. thanks for the info.. I guess I'll run them and just keep an eye on them, easier than spending $500 again..

I go with 10 if the vehicle spends most its life inside and the sidewalks aren't cracked.

UD

You did everything right, protected the tires from heat cycles and ozone.

They should be fine.

I understand about heat and I know ozone is corrosive but I have one question.

What is it which generates ozone in our homes? I can't imagine it happening.

Thanks

According to the PHD's working at "Discount Tire" (local tire chain). Tires have a ten year life, after which they refuse to rotate, balance, etc. Lifetime is defined as ten years. You should be fine.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Your tires are fine, my Harley has a mid 2006 date code, I'm waiting for them to let go on me every time I ride, but they show absolutely no signs of old age. I had tires on my Jeep that were easily 15-17( maybe more) years old when they started to bulge and separate within the thread. All those years they were abused off road, or were stored in direct sunlight/weather.

Ozone is generated by brushes arcing in electric motors. Even if you believed the six year rule you have four left, so mount em up!

BTW I just replaced 25 year old tires on my tow dolly and am running the original 1995 spare on my f150.

Originally Posted By: Kira
I understand about heat and I know ozone is corrosive but I have one question.

What is it which generates ozone in our homes? I can't imagine it happening.

Thanks

Electric motors - the spark at the brushes creates ozone, so anything that has a universal motor (shop vac, power tools, etc.) will create ozone.

Edit: what eljefino said...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UncleDave
I go with 10 if the vehicle spends most its life inside and the sidewalks aren't cracked.

UD

My sidewalks are cracked but it hasn't affected my tires at all. LOL

In central Florida I think 6 years is plenty. I like to keep newer tires on my wheels anyway.

Just replaced the 10.5 year old tires on my 1998 Chevy C1500. It is kept in a garage, rarely driven and the tires looked great on the exterior. In a way I kind of regret replacing them as soon as I did.

Those tires are fine. Use them without hesitation. Two years in controlled storage will not damage them

My Harley tires are lucky to make it a year or a year and half. I don't think I would ever ride my scoot with 2006 tires. I like my skin intact

To everyone! Thanks for the advice!
cheers3.gif
01.gif

I had a feeling they would be good, but just wanted everyone's opinion on it. I'll definitely use them with confidence. Always good news I didn't have to buy anything else to get the car out of storage (besides the work I already have to do, suspension, brakes, etc..)

And about the ozone, yes exactly, anything that is an electric motor can generate ozone.

I'm still running low mile, stored inside tires on my BMW roaster I installed in 2004, and they still work great. Of course I wouldn't try them on a long trip. I also have a 1950 Chevy 1 1/2 ton 24kmi truck with 3 of the original 6 tires on it, that I'm not afraid to drive around town.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Traction
I'm still running low mile, stored inside tires on my BMW roaster I installed in 2004, and they still work great. Of course I wouldn't try them on a long trip. I also have a 1950 Chevy 1 1/2 ton 24kmi truck with 3 of the original 6 tires on it, that I'm not afraid to drive around town.

original? like original original from 1950? wow!

Originally Posted By: czbrian
Just replaced the 10.5 year old tires on my 1998 Chevy C1500. It is kept in a garage, rarely driven and the tires looked great on the exterior. In a way I kind of regret replacing them as soon as I did.

Watching a crew of guys dismount 10 year old tire with 80% tread remaining my wife thought somebody ran over the dog I was crying so hard

UD

Originally Posted By: dogememe
Originally Posted By: Traction

original? like original original from 1950? wow!

They sure look like 68 year old tires that were made by US Royal. 6.50-20 inch. I miss-typed the miles. The truck has only 2400 miles, and the tread wear looks to match that. It is an old fire truck that was stored inside until about 12 years ago. It's going to be around $2000 for 6 new tires, but with a top speed of 40mph, for around town they still work fine for now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back