All But Castrol Edge 0W40 Euro Over Rated ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to be controversial but while examining the Castrol synthetic oils - nothing jumps out at me for being a good value (versus M1 & PP) EXCEPT the 0W40 . I tried the Edge 5W30 in a 4.2L I-6 Trailblazer and experienced oil consumption and an oil that turned black early (vehicle has had nothing but synthetic M1 & PP for 50K miles relying on oil life monitor changed at 20%) . Now an oil turning black early may / may not mean anything negative - I'm just not sure what the over priced hype is for Castrol Edge is for all but (maybe) the 0W40 as compared to M1 , PP & even Valvoline ... Your thoughts ?

I've run both German Castrol 0W-40 and Belgian Castrol 0W-40 in a few of my vehicles, including the LL8 4.2 L6 in my Envoy. While I cannot speak for other grades of Edge, I have experienced less noise, particularly lifter noise, at start up with the German version of the 0W-40. This was particularly noticeable in the Envoy and the 4.0L SOHC Cologne V6 in my Explorer.

Just pick a brand that appeals to you and buy it when it is on sale. I personally do not buy castrol oil or bp gas because of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Not to be controversial but while examining the Castrol synthetic oils - nothing jumps out at me for being a good value (versus M1 & PP) EXCEPT the 0W40 . I tried the Edge 5W30 in a 4.2L I-6 Trailblazer and experienced oil consumption and an oil that turned black early (vehicle has had nothing but synthetic M1 & PP for 50K miles relying on oil life monitor changed at 20%) . Now an oil turning black early may / may not mean anything negative - I'm just not sure what the over priced hype is for Castrol Edge is for all but (maybe) the 0W40 as compared to M1 , PP & even Valvoline ... Your thoughts ?

What are your metrics/standards to determine a "good value"?

Originally Posted By: Charlie2015
Just pick a brand that appeals to you and buy it when it is on sale. I personally do not buy castrol oil or bp gas because of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.

yes, I'm not sure what benefit people expect to reap by using a higher rated oil over a lower rated oil. Unless you're pushing past OCI recommendations, why all this effort to find a better oil.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46

I have used both Castrol black and gold Jug with equal results from what I can conclude. My Corolla has very little oil consumption with either about a full cup in a 5K OCI. But in April I bought some 0w-40 calling my name at Walmart $13 a Jug its going to be just fine.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
yes, I'm not sure what benefit people expect to reap by using a higher rated oil over a lower rated oil. Unless you're pushing past OCI recommendations, why all this effort to find a better oil.

It's always nice to have a little safety margin. Makes me feel more comfortable with my choices.

Oil getting dark early can be a good thing. Could mean it's cleaning an older engine effectively. Changing brands means a different detergent add pack and it could be getting deposits left by other oils. I rotate through different brands, M1, PP, Castrol for this very reason. I do the same with fuel.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Originally Posted By: Charlie2015

Seems like the general consensus is Castrol 0W-40 is 'a great oil' but no one seems to produce UOAs > 8K miles; where are the 15K OCI on non DI cars?

I think the value leader is Magnatec in all flavors
Oil going black instantly has happened to me with most brands
if I felt like spending more money I'd be a Total user in everything.
I no longer buy oil or filters- the rule here is to buy nothing until I use up what I have
I have broken the addiction and my wallet is thick because of it
smile.gif

BTW- I run Magnatec in all my rides- 10K- no oil use- no noises and it is very predictable
But it is a go to oil at $18- no more than that and I see no use for edge in the basic grades

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Seems like the general consensus is Castrol 0W-40 is 'a great oil' but no one seems to produce UOAs > 8K miles; where are the 15K OCI on non DI cars?

I run it 10,000 miles all the time in my old BMW but I don't do UOA, why should I?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

I run it 10,000 miles all the time in my old BMW but I don't do UOA, why should I?

Me either.

M1 0W40 used to be the forum darling, then it lost BMW LL01 certs during a reformulation. Now EDGE 0W40 is the ultimate non-boutqiue 0W40 but M1 is more popular in other grades on this board I think.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
M1 0W40 used to be the forum darling, then it lost BMW LL01 certs during a reformulation. Now EDGE 0W40 is the ultimate non-boutqiue 0W40 but M1 is more popular in other grades on this board I think.

I'm sure it is still fine, after all it has Porsche A40 and all the other certifications it previously had. Besides no one knows exactly why it no longer has Longlife-01.

On the other hand there is an oil with LL-01 for almost exactly the same price that's only five feet down the Walmart shelf. Even for someone who has used M1 oils since the late 70s I didn't have a problem picking that container up instead of the M1.

I switched my wife's BMW over to Castrol 0w40 partly because M1 0w40 no longer has the LL-01 certification anymore. I just finished up the first oci with this oil today, I drained it at 7400 miles. I'm trying to save money so I didn't do a UOA but I will probably do one next year just to see how the oil is holding up (I'm most interested in seeing how it holds it's viscosity actually) I will probably stick with ocis in the 6-8k range though, and most certainly don't want to push it beyond 10k.

I don't know what people are so worried about LL-01 spec, LL-01 has been replaced by LL-04 and with these new fuels there is no reason to even look for LL-01. Same as VW 502. Might as well look for SF oils for the 68 Ford and dismiss any oil that doesn't have it on the label.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I don't know what people are so worried about LL-01 spec, LL-01 has been replaced by LL-04 and with these new fuels there is no reason to even look for LL-01...

This is an excerpt from a BMW Service Bulletin...

Longlife-04 oils are only approved for spark-ignition engines in Europe (EU plus Switzerland, Norway
and Liechtenstein). They must not be used outside this area.

When was that TSB from 2015? Before tier 3 fuels? Low SAPS but that is no longer a real concern, you will see USA on that list for sure shortly if not already.

I have no idea why no BMW spec on the 0w40 but that wouldn't bother me in a BMW gasser as it meets MB 229.51 which offers greater protection from wear, sludge, piston deposits with a little better fuel economy.

Right or wrong that's my worthless
49.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back