Any Veterinarians here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dog may need a bladder operation for stones.
The Vet gave me an estimate of $2K to 3K!
Yikes!
Is this about right?

She used to work at a nice small town farm vet before working at the hospital. $600.

$2-3k is our local emergency clinic pricing.

Originally Posted By: marine65
Yikes!
Is this about right?

Now you're seeing the benefit that pet insurance has brought us at the Vets office. They will have those prices matching your Doctors prices shortly.

I'm going to come off as rude. I feel pets should live a life without expensive vet procedures and expensive pet meds.
If that was my dog, I'd let it live out till it dies or have it put to sleep if it is suffering.
I have a co-worker who's wife borrowed thousands from her 401K to keep their shih tzu alive a wee bit longer.
It wont stop at $2-3K I'm betting.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I'm going to come off as rude. I feel pets should live a life without expensive vet procedures and expensive pet meds.
If that was my dog, I'd let it live out till it dies or have it put to sleep if it is suffering.
I have a co-worker who's wife borrowed thousands from her 401K to keep their shih tzu alive a wee bit longer.
Sad it is but I agree !.

Disclaimer: I'm NOT a vet.

Our oldest bordercollie is at 15 and he had blood in the urine and was physically uncomfortable.

Vet said stones. quoted a similar price to the OP. Also possibly some prostate issues as he's never been fixed.

After a year of a different diet he's pretty much back to normal, Vet said he probably passed a stone or two as well.

A different diet can make a big difference, just as it can with people.

Mine gets rice, ground turkey, carrots and peas all mixed in with a spoonful of wheat germ.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Yikes!
Is this about right?

Now you're seeing the benefit that pet insurance has brought us at the Vets office. They will have those prices matching your Doctors prices shortly.

Exactly, the sky is the limit!

Yikes!
Is this about right?

In my opinion, Yes.

This is what the recommend for humans>>>

Be sure to drink plenty of water as well and extra lemon juice, if possible. Continue this treatment for several days until the stone passes. It is thought that the lemon juice could break down the kidney stones and the olive oil would aid in lubrication to pass the stone more easily.

See if there is a Veterinary School nearby, they do procedures for a lot less...

Also consider lithotripsy, either a laser or shock waves breakup the stones, allowing it to pass.

No cutting involved...

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
She used to work at a nice small town farm vet before working at the hospital. $600.

$2-3k is our local emergency clinic pricing.

+1 It's not a complicated or difficult surgery. Special diets can dissolve stones if they are not too big. Ask to see the xray. Any layman can see the stones and how big they are. Shop other vets.
CSU has a vet school up the road from you. Check them out as they do stuff at a discount so their students can observe and learn.

Last edited:
The vet catheterized my dog and emptied his bladder.
The vet said she might have dislodged the blockage.
His urethra was infected and swollen.
They put him on antibiotics.
I saw his X ray. He had several small stones and one that was a centimeter in size.
So far he has been urinated pretty close to normal.
Before the procedure he could not urinate thats why i took him in.
The initial visit cost $364.00 that was manageable.
$2K to $3K is another story.

Go to another vet and get a second quote.

Our original vet for some 25+ years quoted nearly 3x what a another vet, that came highly recommended, quoted. For my husky that had large masses (non-cancer) that had to be removed the size of softballs. When my original vet quoted $1600 for one mass removal (he had a few, but the largest they wanted to remove) I took him in for a second opinion at this new vet closer to home. They quoted $600 for the same thing, which during the procedure, the doctor decided to remove a second one (free). He also did a deep tooth cleaning while the pup was under for a minor upcharge about half the price it normally would be since he already is under for the procedure. Pup did well for the procedure and is far more comfortable now without a 4lb mass hanging between his back legs...

Just like anything, get another quote for things like this. Even if like us, you had that vet a LONG time. You would be surprised how much it can vary. I would have paid the $1600 if need be, but it was nice saving that money and now the new vet is our full-time go to. They are fantastic and pricing is much better on that type of stuff. It's worth shopping around sometimes.

Last edited:
I have an appointment on Monday with a Vet i used before to get a second opinion.
I'm having the X Rays and exam notes sent over.
So this time the charge should be just a normal visit.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

No way, dogs are family. You are responsible to care and love for the dog. You took on that responsibility when you got it, and if it means paying to keep him/her healthy, then you do it. If not, don't have one at all, ridiculous.

If the dog is 15, already had a great life, maybe I can understand you reasoning, its like operating on someone in their 90s, risky and other issues such as rehab, etc. But you kind of said all, no way. I've spent thousands just on ear problems for my one lab, I'd spend 20k if needed. Estimate 4k so far. Family.

Originally Posted By: 93cruiser

No way, dogs are family. You are responsible to care and love for the dog. You took on that responsibility when you got it, and if it means paying to keep him/her healthy, then you do it. If not, don't have one at all, ridiculous.

If the dog is 15, already had a great life, maybe I can understand you reasoning, its like operating on someone in their 90s, risky and other issues such as rehab, etc. But you kind of said all, no way. I've spent thousands just on ear problems for my one lab, I'd spend 20k if needed. Estimate 4k so far. Family.

Can't agree more with this. It’s really sad to me when people who have a dog/cat or whatever, that requires some care, and they rather just put it down. HATE that mentality with people, makes me sick. Like you said, if you get the dog, you take on the responsibility to love and care for the animal. If you can’t afford the potential care and responsibility that comes with whatever pet, don’t get the animal. Let somebody else who will, adopt and care for them. Just put away some money each month into a “vet/medical” fund so years down the line if your dog needs a $2,500 surgery, you have the money. My husky is 11 years old and if in two years he needed a $2,500 surgery to extend his life another year, no doubt about it. It would get done! As you said, family. I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I put down a dog who had a potential good life in front of them because I was too cheap. Won’t happen.

I won’t put a dog down unless it’s absolutely a requirement and if any potential care won’t gain any worthwhile time for the animal.

Shop around even if you have to travel 25 miles or so. Could make a huge difference. Vets are kind of like car repair places. Go on www.yelp.com to find reviews of vets. Makes sure there's several reviews where the posters have more than 5 reviews. That way the place isn't doing self-reviews.

Took my Dog to the Vet i have used before.
Same conclusion that he needs the bladder operation.
I told her that the other Vet wanted 2K to 3K she laughed.
Her charge will be $500.
She said its a simple procedure.
So 7/20 he goes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back