Dewalt 20 V Battery Weed Wacker Reviewd

Just bought this 20 V Dewat trimmer with a 5 AH rechargeable battery.mit was $175 US. I took some photos of it beside my Pouan Pro 24cc trimmer for scale. The Dewalt weighs 10 lbs vs 14 lbs (with a 1/2 tank of gas) for the Poulan. The Dewalt, has two speeds.It has a safety switch and a comfortable molded plastic pad to push down on the housing to achieve a comfortable balance with the tool. As expected the motor is very quiet with just a bit of startup whine when you hit the trigger. The debris guard is on the small side. if I had more than a quarter acre to maintain I would get a 2nd battery.

I ran it for a couple of hours trimming the grass under 200 ft of fencing, and miscellaneous light trimming on a 1/4 acre of land. I used the high speed mostly. I finally ran out of juice. The battery has an indicator for charge level. The string that came on it is square in cross section and seemed thinner but tougher than the normal plastic replacement line. The unit had a 90 day free return policy.

What were the benefits? Low noise, no heat from the upper body of the tool, plenty of power, no cord to deal with and much less vibration. The vibration issue was significant as the vibration from the Poulan would make my hands have a buzz in them after using it. On thing I noticed is that I could do some extra trimming after supper without being “The Annoying Thing.” So far I haven’t figured out how to change the oil.
lol.gif

Last edited:
I wonder just how much cold start wear and two cycle oil one of those would save me a year over my 20 year old Shindaiwa?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Just bought this 20 V Dewat trimmer with a 5 AH rechargeable battery.mit was $175 US. I took some photos of it beside my Pouan Pro 24cc trimmer for scale. The Dewalt weighs 10 lbs vs 14 lbs (with a 1/2 tank of gas) for the Poulan. The Dewalt, has two speeds.It has a safety switch and a comfortable molded plastic pad to push down on the housing to achieve a comfortable balance with the tool. As expected the motor is very quiet with just a bit of startup whine when you hit the trigger. The debris guard is on the small side. if I had more than a quarter acre to maintain I would get a 2nd battery.

I ran it for a couple of hours trimming the grass under 200 ft of fencing, and miscellaneous light trimming on a 1/4 acre of land. I used the high speed mostly. I finally ran out of juice. The battery has an indicator for charge level. The string that came on it is square in cross section and seemed thinner but tougher than the normal plastic replacement line. The unit had a 90 day free return policy.

What were the benefits? Low noise, no heat from the upper body of the tool, plenty of power, no cord to deal with and much less vibration. The vibration issue was significant as the vibration from the Poulan would make my hands have a buzz in them after using it. On thing I noticed is that I could do some extra trimming after supper without being “The Annoying Thing.” So far I haven’t figured out how to change the oil.
lol.gif

Nice review, Thanks!

Electric OPE is in my future as well.

I have a WORX 20v trimmer and blower.The batterys are only 2.0 a/h but if you are careful to on/off the trigger frequently it goes a long way.Weighs only 5 lbs.Wouldnt go back to gas.

I have the same Dewalt 20V trimmer. Purchased for my wife to use.

It's got pretty good power on high, that's for sure. HOWEVER, I prefer my 20 year old Echo gas trimmer for heavy work due to the fact that it is very easy to modulate power at low speed, and has more peak power. So it's not running at warp speed all the time, slinging stuff everywhere. The Dewalt takes 2 batteries to get the job mostly done, at which point I give up. (I have 2 semi-rural acres, mostly woods) The Dewalt takes a bit longer to do the job.

Even so, it's quiet and smooth. No issues using it at 6AM or 10PM. I like that a lot.

Thanks for the review. I've been looking at one of these. I picked up the 20V blower a few weeks back on Kijiji.

I currently have a Ryobi 2 stoke which works fine. When that dies, I'll be going for one of these.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I have a WORX 20v trimmer and blower.The batterys are only 2.0 a/h but if you are careful to on/off the trigger frequently it goes a long way.Weighs only 5 lbs.Wouldnt go back to gas.

What's the cost for a new battery that will fail in probably five years or less?

I've found over the years of using cordless tools that battery replacement is too frequent and ridiculously expensive.

I've gone through at least four "quality" drills, a leaf blower and 10 ni-cad & li-ion batteries in the last 15 years. I'm now on a pair of Milwaukee Fuel hammer drills, a Milwaukee Fuel circular saw and a DeWalt circular saw. The Milw equipment is two years old and the DeWalt saw is six years old. Check the cost to replace 5 AH batteries on those pieces of equipment.

Meanwhile, I have 30+ year old gas equipment still running strong. In my opinion, the economics for battery powered saws, trimmers, blowers etc. just isn't there because battery life is too short and replacement cost far too expensive.

I don't have much choice with hand tools however I do with trimmers, chainsaws, leaf blower etc. and none of them will be battery powered if I ever need to replace anything. Which, unlike battery powered equipment, is highly unlikely.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Originally Posted By: NHGUY

What's the cost for a new battery that will fail in probably five years or less?

I've found over the years of using cordless tools that battery replacement is too frequent and ridiculously expensive.

I've gone through at least four "quality" drills, a leaf blower and 10 ni-cad & li-ion batteries in the last 15 years. I'm now on a pair of Milwaukee Fuel hammer drills, a Milwaukee Fuel circular saw and a DeWalt circular saw. The Milw equipment is two years old and the DeWalt saw is six years old. Check the cost to replace 5 AH batteries on those pieces of equipment.

Meanwhile, I have 30+ year old gas equipment still running strong. In my opinion, the economics for battery powered saws, trimmers, blowers etc. just isn't there because battery life is too short and replacement cost far too expensive.

I don't have much choice with hand tools however I do with trimmers, chainsaws, leaf blower etc. and none of them will be battery powered if I ever need to replace anything. Which, unlike battery powered equipment, is highly unlikely.

Light weight, quiet,No heat, No storing or buying gas and low vibration are more important than battery cost to some, including me.

"Light weight, quiet,No heat, No storing or buying gas and low vibration are more important than battery cost to some, including me. [/quote]

Nice features alright and fine for someone taking care of a postage stamp size lot in the city where electricity is always on and readily available to charge batteries.

However, for anyone who maintains a large lot out in the bush where there's no electricity, needs to cut brush & trees and pump water, batteries just won't cut it.

Don't see the demise of gas powered equipment anytime soon, unless there's a miraculous increase in battery power and durability as well a reduction in cost. If that ever happens, maybe then I'd consider battery powered yard maintenance power tools. Until then, it's gas and preferably two cycle.

"Light weight, quiet,No heat, No storing or buying gas and low vibration are more important than battery cost to some, including me.

Nice features alright and fine for someone taking care of a postage stamp size lot in the city where electricity is always on and readily available to charge batteries.

However, for anyone who maintains a large lot out in the bush where there's no electricity, needs to cut brush & trees and pump water, batteries just won't cut it.

Don't see the demise of gas powered equipment anytime soon, unless there's a miraculous increase in battery power and durability as well a reduction in cost. If that ever happens, maybe then I'd consider battery powered yard maintenance power tools. Until then, it's gas and preferably two cycle.

Define "Postage Stamp Size lot"

1/4 acre?

1 acre?

2?

I got 2 acres + maintained and some woodland, I don't spend more than 2 hours max at the time trimming weeds so I'll be fine with battery power.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 123Saab

"Light weight, quiet,No heat, No storing or buying gas and low vibration are more important than battery cost to some, including me.

1/4 acre?

1 acre?

2?

I got 2 acres + maintained and some woodland, I don't spend more than 2 hours max at the time trimming weeds so I'll be fine with battery power.

Postage stamp = 50' x 50' or less.

You get two hours non-stop use from one battery? Very impressive if not hard to believe.

I have refuel my Echo trimmer every hour and a quarter or so.

Boraticus, you sound like you have a been afflicted with old-man-itus,LOL. I'm getting old, so I can say that. Your position is like someone who requires a full size 3/4 ton pickup scoffing at someone who does fine with an efficient compact car with utility trailer. If snagglefoot decides to buy a Dewalt drill or other tools, he'll be even more efficient.

Battery powered tools are starting to make their stride. No reason to poo poo others that choose them to fit their situation.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab

1/4 acre?

1 acre?

2?

Postage stamp = 50' x 50' or less.

You get two hours non-stop use from one battery? Very impressive if not hard to believe.

I have refuel my Echo trimmer every hour and a quarter or so.

I don't own one. But I plan to go to battery power for all my OPE next season.

Battery life goes up with capacity of course, and Even with my gas gear I never run anything for 2 hours straight on the trigger.

If I got 30 minutes out of a battery Id be fine with that, as the Dewalt cordless small shopvac I have. The batteries charge in 30 minutes with the right charger and I have 4 batteries.

That said I've been reading reviews and probably go for Makita, Trimmer and Blower and chainsaw.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Boraticus, you sound like you have a been afflicted with old-man-itus,LOL. I'm getting old, so I can say that. Your position is like someone who requires a full size 3/4 ton pickup scoffing at someone who does fine with an efficient compact car with utility trailer. If snagglefoot decides to buy a Dewalt drill or other tools, he'll be even more efficient.

Battery powered tools are starting to make their stride. No reason to poo poo others that choose them to fit their situation.

What I have is "large-camp-lot-itis" that cannot be managed with battery powered equipment.

As they say: "Don't send a boy to do a man's job." In my application, battery powered equipment is equivalent to sending the boy.

Get it?

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

What I have is "large-camp-lot-itis" that cannot be managed with battery powered equipment.

As they say: "Don't send a boy to do a man's job." In my application, battery powered equipment is equivalent to sending the boy.

Get it?

The OP obviously reviewed the Dewalt with different needs than you so what I don't get is why you responded in the first place if this had zero relevance to you.

Unless of course you just wanted to talk shop about OPE in general.

Back