by KMJ1992
13 minutes 4 seconds ago
2015 Audi Q7 Transmission Service
by rooflessVW
33 minutes 47 seconds ago
Curious Questions regarding Engine Wear
by mbacfp
49 minutes 54 seconds ago
Bridgestone Driveguard worked as advertised!
by LeakySeals
Today at 11:30 AM
Renewable Lubricants Inc. Dexos 1 gen 2 SN plus?
by 2James1
Today at 10:52 AM
2017 VW -- mildly cold Air Conditioning
by BAJA_05
Today at 10:50 AM
Lot of New Oil Filters - SF Bay Area/Marin County
by dogememe
Today at 10:38 AM
‘13 Tundra crank/no start
by pda1122
Today at 10:31 AM
‘16 CX-5 using oil
by pda1122
Today at 10:06 AM
castrol edge ep 5w-20 ?
by dogememe
Today at 09:41 AM
Bags of MTD 30 weight oil
by Snagglefoot
Today at 09:37 AM
Castrol Edge 0/40 sale/Amazon prime members only
by Bullwinkle007
Today at 09:37 AM
Kart Racing engine oils?
by racin4ds
Today at 09:36 AM
Valvoline 5w40 CK-4 in 2014 F250
by Rocdoc27
Today at 07:43 AM
castrol go m/c oil rated sg and jaso ma2...???
by kmrcstintn
Today at 06:44 AM
2006 Prius - Hybrid Battery Failure
by The Critic
Today at 02:01 AM
amazon missing package. how often?
by WhyMe
Today at 12:15 AM
Filter Minder naysayers!
by ThunderOne
Yesterday at 09:57 PM
Is there a 1 piece 75 Ohm to 300 Ohm coa connector
by daves66nova
Yesterday at 08:46 PM
Help me choose camper wheels
by spasm3
Yesterday at 08:44 PM
Newest Members
bjay, javylsu, Jlb27537, katnapped, Denniso
65501 Registered Users
Who's Online
96 registered (379KITTY, 2015_PSD, 28oz, 2012AccentSE, 3one7, 10 invisible), 1661 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
65501 Members
67 Forums
287219 Topics
4791455 Posts

Max Online: 3590 @ 01/24/17 08:07 PM
Donate to BITOG
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#4802069 - 07/01/18 08:29 AM Dewalt 20 V Battery Weed Wacker Reviewd
Snagglefoot Offline

Loc: SE British Columbia, Canada
Just bought this 20 V Dewat trimmer with a 5 AH rechargeable battery.mit was $175 US. I took some photos of it beside my Pouan Pro 24cc trimmer for scale. The Dewalt weighs 10 lbs vs 14 lbs (with a 1/2 tank of gas) for the Poulan. The Dewalt, has two speeds.It has a safety switch and a comfortable molded plastic pad to push down on the housing to achieve a comfortable balance with the tool. As expected the motor is very quiet with just a bit of startup whine when you hit the trigger. The debris guard is on the small side. if I had more than a quarter acre to maintain I would get a 2nd battery.

I ran it for a couple of hours trimming the grass under 200 ft of fencing, and miscellaneous light trimming on a 1/4 acre of land. I used the high speed mostly. I finally ran out of juice. The battery has an indicator for charge level. The string that came on it is square in cross section and seemed thinner but tougher than the normal plastic replacement line. The unit had a 90 day free return policy.

What were the benefits? Low noise, no heat from the upper body of the tool, plenty of power, no cord to deal with and much less vibration. The vibration issue was significant as the vibration from the Poulan would make my hands have a buzz in them after using it. On thing I noticed is that I could do some extra trimming after supper without being “The Annoying Thing.” So far I haven’t figured out how to change the oil. LOL

Edited by Snagglefoot (07/01/18 08:53 AM)

#4802082 - 07/01/18 08:53 AM Re: Dewalt 20 V Battery Weed Wacker Reviewd [Re: Snagglefoot]
JohnnyJohnson Online   content

Loc: Wet side WA
I wonder just how much cold start wear and two cycle oil one of those would save me a year over my 20 year old Shindaiwa?

Edited by JohnnyJohnson (07/01/18 08:54 AM)
2006 Duramax 74109
Out: T6 5W-40 M1-303
In: T6 5W-40 XG9100 74705 4-22-18

#4802104 - 07/01/18 09:15 AM Re: Dewalt 20 V Battery Weed Wacker Reviewd [Re: Snagglefoot]
123Saab Offline

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Just bought this 20 V Dewat trimmer with a 5 AH rechargeable battery.mit was $175 US. I took some photos of it beside my Pouan Pro 24cc trimmer for scale. The Dewalt weighs 10 lbs vs 14 lbs (with a 1/2 tank of gas) for the Poulan. The Dewalt, has two speeds.It has a safety switch and a comfortable molded plastic pad to push down on the housing to achieve a comfortable balance with the tool. As expected the motor is very quiet with just a bit of startup whine when you hit the trigger. The debris guard is on the small side. if I had more than a quarter acre to maintain I would get a 2nd battery.

I ran it for a couple of hours trimming the grass under 200 ft of fencing, and miscellaneous light trimming on a 1/4 acre of land. I used the high speed mostly. I finally ran out of juice. The battery has an indicator for charge level. The string that came on it is square in cross section and seemed thinner but tougher than the normal plastic replacement line. The unit had a 90 day free return policy.

What were the benefits? Low noise, no heat from the upper body of the tool, plenty of power, no cord to deal with and much less vibration. The vibration issue was significant as the vibration from the Poulan would make my hands have a buzz in them after using it. On thing I noticed is that I could do some extra trimming after supper without being “The Annoying Thing.” So far I haven’t figured out how to change the oil. LOL

Nice review, Thanks!

Electric OPE is in my future as well.
Those overlooked regarded
- Seamus Heaney

#4802125 - 07/01/18 09:47 AM Re: Dewalt 20 V Battery Weed Wacker Reviewd [Re: Snagglefoot]
NHGUY Offline

Loc: USA
I have a WORX 20v trimmer and blower.The batterys are only 2.0 a/h but if you are careful to on/off the trigger frequently it goes a long way.Weighs only 5 lbs.Wouldnt go back to gas.

#4802135 - 07/01/18 10:00 AM Re: Dewalt 20 V Battery Weed Wacker Reviewd [Re: Snagglefoot]
Cujet Online   content

Loc: Jupiter, Florida
I have the same Dewalt 20V trimmer. Purchased for my wife to use.

It's got pretty good power on high, that's for sure. HOWEVER, I prefer my 20 year old Echo gas trimmer for heavy work due to the fact that it is very easy to modulate power at low speed, and has more peak power. So it's not running at warp speed all the time, slinging stuff everywhere. The Dewalt takes 2 batteries to get the job mostly done, at which point I give up. (I have 2 semi-rural acres, mostly woods) The Dewalt takes a bit longer to do the job.

Even so, it's quiet and smooth. No issues using it at 6AM or 10PM. I like that a lot.

#4802136 - 07/01/18 10:02 AM Re: Dewalt 20 V Battery Weed Wacker Reviewd [Re: Snagglefoot]
JC1 Offline

Loc: Oshawa, Ontario Canada
Thanks for the review. I've been looking at one of these. I picked up the 20V blower a few weeks back on Kijiji.

I currently have a Ryobi 2 stoke which works fine. When that dies, I'll be going for one of these.

#4802139 - 07/01/18 10:07 AM Re: Dewalt 20 V Battery Weed Wacker Reviewd [Re: NHGUY]
boraticus Online   content

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I have a WORX 20v trimmer and blower.The batterys are only 2.0 a/h but if you are careful to on/off the trigger frequently it goes a long way.Weighs only 5 lbs.Wouldnt go back to gas.

What's the cost for a new battery that will fail in probably five years or less?

I've found over the years of using cordless tools that battery replacement is too frequent and ridiculously expensive.

I've gone through at least four "quality" drills, a leaf blower and 10 ni-cad & li-ion batteries in the last 15 years. I'm now on a pair of Milwaukee Fuel hammer drills, a Milwaukee Fuel circular saw and a DeWalt circular saw. The Milw equipment is two years old and the DeWalt saw is six years old. Check the cost to replace 5 AH batteries on those pieces of equipment.

Meanwhile, I have 30+ year old gas equipment still running strong. In my opinion, the economics for battery powered saws, trimmers, blowers etc. just isn't there because battery life is too short and replacement cost far too expensive.

I don't have much choice with hand tools however I do with trimmers, chainsaws, leaf blower etc. and none of them will be battery powered if I ever need to replace anything. Which, unlike battery powered equipment, is highly unlikely.

#4802155 - 07/01/18 10:25 AM Re: Dewalt 20 V Battery Weed Wacker Reviewd [Re: boraticus]
123Saab Offline

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Originally Posted By: NHGUY

What's the cost for a new battery that will fail in probably five years or less?

I've found over the years of using cordless tools that battery replacement is too frequent and ridiculously expensive.

I've gone through at least four "quality" drills, a leaf blower and 10 ni-cad & li-ion batteries in the last 15 years. I'm now on a pair of Milwaukee Fuel hammer drills, a Milwaukee Fuel circular saw and a DeWalt circular saw. The Milw equipment is two years old and the DeWalt saw is six years old. Check the cost to replace 5 AH batteries on those pieces of equipment.

Meanwhile, I have 30+ year old gas equipment still running strong. In my opinion, the economics for battery powered saws, trimmers, blowers etc. just isn't there because battery life is too short and replacement cost far too expensive.

I don't have much choice with hand tools however I do with trimmers, chainsaws, leaf blower etc. and none of them will be battery powered if I ever need to replace anything. Which, unlike battery powered equipment, is highly unlikely.

Light weight, quiet,No heat, No storing or buying gas and low vibration are more important than battery cost to some, including me.
- Seamus Heaney

#4802166 - 07/01/18 10:38 AM Re: Dewalt 20 V Battery Weed Wacker Reviewd [Re: Snagglefoot]
taztheman Offline

Loc: North Carolina, USA
Here is the link to it on amazon. https://amzn.to/2lNoPRi The reviews make it seem to be a good trimmer.

#4802178 - 07/01/18 10:48 AM Re: Dewalt 20 V Battery Weed Wacker Reviewd [Re: 123Saab]

"Light weight, quiet,No heat, No storing or buying gas and low vibration are more important than battery cost to some, including me. [/quote]

Nice features alright and fine for someone taking care of a postage stamp size lot in the city where electricity is always on and readily available to charge batteries.

However, for anyone who maintains a large lot out in the bush where there's no electricity, needs to cut brush & trees and pump water, batteries just won't cut it.

Don't see the demise of gas powered equipment anytime soon, unless there's a miraculous increase in battery power and durability as well a reduction in cost. If that ever happens, maybe then I'd consider battery powered yard maintenance power tools. Until then, it's gas and preferably two cycle.

#4802267 - 07/01/18 12:00 PM Re: Dewalt 20 V Battery Weed Wacker Reviewd [Re: Snagglefoot]
OilFilters Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I'll be interested when they come out with one that can handle a brush blade. I do not use string for yard work.

#4802271 - 07/01/18 12:05 PM Re: Dewalt 20 V Battery Weed Wacker Reviewd [Re: boraticus]
123Saab Offline

"Light weight, quiet,No heat, No storing or buying gas and low vibration are more important than battery cost to some, including me.

Nice features alright and fine for someone taking care of a postage stamp size lot in the city where electricity is always on and readily available to charge batteries.

However, for anyone who maintains a large lot out in the bush where there's no electricity, needs to cut brush & trees and pump water, batteries just won't cut it.

Don't see the demise of gas powered equipment anytime soon, unless there's a miraculous increase in battery power and durability as well a reduction in cost. If that ever happens, maybe then I'd consider battery powered yard maintenance power tools. Until then, it's gas and preferably two cycle.

Define "Postage Stamp Size lot"

1/4 acre?

1 acre?

2?

I got 2 acres + maintained and some woodland, I don't spend more than 2 hours max at the time trimming weeds so I'll be fine with battery power.

Edited by 123Saab (07/01/18 12:07 PM)
- Seamus Heaney

#4802294 - 07/01/18 12:19 PM Re: Dewalt 20 V Battery Weed Wacker Reviewd [Re: 123Saab]

Originally Posted By: 123Saab

"Light weight, quiet,No heat, No storing or buying gas and low vibration are more important than battery cost to some, including me.

Define "Postage Stamp Size lot"

1/4 acre?

1 acre?

2?

I got 2 acres + maintained and some woodland, I don't spend more than 2 hours max at the time trimming weeds so I'll be fine with battery power.

Postage stamp = 50' x 50' or less.

You get two hours non-stop use from one battery? Very impressive if not hard to believe.

I have refuel my Echo trimmer every hour and a quarter or so.

#4802299 - 07/01/18 12:22 PM Re: Dewalt 20 V Battery Weed Wacker Reviewd [Re: Snagglefoot]
doitmyself Offline

Loc: MI
Boraticus, you sound like you have a been afflicted with old-man-itus,LOL. I'm getting old, so I can say that. Your position is like someone who requires a full size 3/4 ton pickup scoffing at someone who does fine with an efficient compact car with utility trailer. If snagglefoot decides to buy a Dewalt drill or other tools, he'll be even more efficient.

Battery powered tools are starting to make their stride. No reason to poo poo others that choose them to fit their situation.

#4802311 - 07/01/18 12:33 PM Re: Dewalt 20 V Battery Weed Wacker Reviewd [Re: Snagglefoot]
Snagglefoot Offline

Loc: SE British Columbia, Canada
5AH batteries are $90 US each and cheaper if you get knock-offs. Forget about Nicad and NMH experience. These are Lithium.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCB205-2-L...tery+for+dewalt

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >