Are there any oils that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

daz

...are exceptional at retaining oil integrity thru excessive heat? I ride in a lot of heavy traffic and am in a very hot area of the U.S. where my bike tends to kill oil very quickly, so i'd like to know if there are any bike oils out there that are known for exceptional resistance to heat breakdown.

A synthetic M/C oil. A common one is Mobil 1 4t. Something like Amsoil Metric or a Motul 7100 if you go high end. Stay with grade recommended.

Motul 300V if it'll work for your application ... Do you have a shared sump/wet clutch?

300V is one of the go-to oils for desert racing. It'll take the heat very well
smile.gif

So will a number of Redline oils
smile.gif

Last edited:
I see you're in California. I think monogrades would work well for you. VR1 or some kind of HDEO Mono. Shift quality tends to stay the same with them throughout the OCI, also they can cut oil consumption.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
A synthetic M/C oil. A common one is Mobil 1 4t. Something like Amsoil Metric or a Motul 7100 if you go high end. Stay with grade recommended.

Thats what i went with, tho the 20w50 called "V twin". Bike runs great on it (have used it b4 long ago) but i will have to see how it holds up.

I've had really good results from straight Delo SAE50 unless it's over 80 degrees first thing in the morning then the RevTech SAE60 works just fine. Stays together at sustained high speeds at over 100 degrees F ambient real well. This is in a very high compression engine that runs a little on the hot side anyway.

Any of the straight weight oils from HD seem to be pretty good products too.

If you want to go with a 20w-50 Walmart is now selling an oil that says it's for V-Twins (I think I read somewhere it's made by Citgo but I'm not sure), I just put 2,800 miles on it in five days of riding in temps that stayed in the 90s and the oil held up real well. I think this stuff is a good deal, a jug was about $30 as I recall.

My 400EX ATV is air cooled and runs very hot. It gets ran hard in the dunes on some blisering summer days. I've found Mobil 1 Racing 4t 10W-40 holds up the best in the demanding conditions. Dune riding works an engine to the max, way harder than anything you'll see on the streets. I've used Rotella and Amsoil as well but the Mobil 1 seems to handle it all the best. I change usually every 10 hours simply because I ride it so hard even though it can probably go longer. It's easy and cheap to find at any Walmart which is another bonus!

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Motul 300V if it'll work for your application ... Do you have a shared sump/wet clutch?

300V is one of the go-to oils for desert racing. It'll take the heat very well
smile.gif

So will a number of Redline oils
smile.gif

As I understand it, 300v is a "Racing" oil meant to be run hard but changed often. I believe it has a different additive package and therefore should not be used for regular daily use with typical change intervals.

I run Motul 300V 4T in my bored and stroked all-motor Hayabusa. It's over 100 rwhp up from stock, and can run hot even with a custom radiator, when pushed in 100°+ F ambient temps. I use the 15w50, and have run it as long as 3500 miles, with no degradation in shifting or how the engine runs.

I run the same oil in my more lightly modded S1000RR, and it holds up great through the oil change. I also plan to run it in my Duc, at the next oil change.

in my experience, you can't go wrong with mobil full synth.

as mentioned, use full synth only. I would go one step higher on high temp viscocity which you have already done.

the 20/50 should help the bike (if it doesn't then I don't knwo what will). Over her we get it in 15/50 flavor but if you live in hot weather, then the 20w part should not cause you any fuel consumption issue. IF not notul 300V 15/50 could be your choise

BTW did you say bike you are running

Originally Posted By: bonjo
BTW did you say bike you are running

This is the big question.

An air cooled bike has different needs than a water cooled bike.
A big, low revving v-twin cruiser (air or water cooled) will be different than a high revving sport bike.

Also riding style and OCI play into it.

A synthetic will tend to have less breakdown than conventional.
A straight weight will have minimal breakdown.
Oils with a smaller viscosity spread also hold up better.

Every bike also can have issues with specific brands, especially if a shared sump wet clutch.
While I currently have Peak Syn-blend 15w-40 oil in my bike and it works great for me, someone else can use it and have issues. I have also used Supertech 15w-40 and had no issues, but again, others have on their bikes when using it.
That is why comparing bikes like yours is important.

15w-40 is fine for most water cooled bikes.
20w-50 for most air cooled bikes.

Yes these are generalizations, but without more info, it is hard to say.

Are there any synthetic monogrades?
27.gif

Single grade 30w for ages in bugs then 20w50 in BMWs. Running 0w20 makes me cringe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back