Hyundai in talks to buy Fiat Chrysler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Not sure why....unless they are just going for the Jeeps and maybe Ram....

It would have to be. Cars aren't selling.

I think the idea that Ram and Jeep are the prizes is right on. Chrysler is a dead man walking. Parting out the company seems to be the smart option.

Shotgun marriages never last long. It will be interesting to see if and how this plays out. The part about Hyundai’s waiting for FCA stock shares to drop says the price is too high which is why Great Wall backed off.

It must be a nostalgia thing for them. Early Hyundai were based on Mitsubishi drivelines, who were involved with Chrysler in those days too. And of course Mitsubishi were licensed to make the Jeep for many years.

Originally Posted By: Silk
It must be a nostalgia thing for them. Early Hyundai were based on Mitsubishi drivelines, who were involved with Chrysler in those days too. And of course Mitsubishi were licensed to make the Jeep for many years.

Interesting you bring that up, one vehicle I always had a eye on was the Mini-Pajero. Mitsu had a winner there as well as the full size Pajero.

Originally Posted By: KJSmith
Hyudia is Korean.

Everyone who has bought Chrysler so far has regretted it.

Not Daimler, you know how much cash they sucked out of Chrysler? Sucked the company dry and threw the carcass out.

Hey, maybe they'll be able to make a decent car!

Why does Chrysler keep selling off to everyone? Seems like they get a new owner every couple years. Like dodge-ball. See what I did there?
grin2.gif

FCA has been terribly abused by the last three owners. Really the only trouble free Chryslers I've had were a Plymouth Arrow, Dodge Colt, and Colt Vista--Mitsubishi has gone down hill since the eighties. As far as domestic stuff, only a Caravan which had a Mitsu engine--everything fell apart at 80K, and an early sixties Dodge Lancer, probably the only 100% Chrysler vehicle I've owned. I have owned a couple of Fiats back in the sixties if that counts-- although a 124 sport coupe was the closest thing I've owned to being a sports car, the main memories are painful war stories for my old age-- bad product and bad service.

My HyunKia's have all been rock steady give you no trouble kinds of vehicles.

So what do we have here?

Only Jeep and a source of trucks, I'm afraid. Hyundai could re-brand Dodge as the truck name and sell off Ram to ???-maybe the Chinese. They could split a single product into two like Bentley and Rolls. Didn't VW think they were getting the Rolls name when they made the purchase?

There might be some advantages to picking up more American plants in a tariff environment, but does Hyundai really want those older plants and older, unionized workforces? Doubt it. Hyundai may be waiting for the stock price to drop but wouldn't take over rumors bring FCA stock up?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Great point! FCA might be able to teach Hyundai how to build a car that actually handles, has decent steering and brake feedback...and can actualy accelerate.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Great point! FCA might be able to teach Hyundai how to build a car that actually handles, has decent steering and brake feedback...and can actualy accelerate.
lol.gif

Lol, I'm sure they could benefit each other. Would be a pretty good merger.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

lol.gif

Lol, I'm sure they could benefit each other. Would be a pretty good merger.

Agreed, Hyundai is strong in small cars and FCA is strong in trucks and the Jeep brand.

Truth be told, family and I have owned at least a dozen Chryslers and 3 Hyundai/Kias, all gave great service. I just don't want to see a 2.0T Genesis rebranded as a Challenger
cry.gif

The Jeep and Ram brand is making a lot of money for Chrysler. I just wish it was Ford or GM in a bidding war for them.

Why does Chrysler keep selling off to everyone? Seems like they get a new owner every couple years. Like dodge-ball. See what I did there?
grin2.gif

The last 5 or so owners couldn't teach Chrysler how to make a decent car so who thinks Hyundai can? Most likely they want Jeep and Ram the only things keeping them afloat. And the Jeep bubble may burst like it did in the mid to late 90s and Ram, well, their new truck looks more like a Chevy than a Ram.

We should have let Chrysler die the past 2 times they went bankrupt. Few would have missed them.

Everyone always rags on Chrysler quality but I owned a new 2005 Dodge Challenger RT and put over 100,000 trouble free miles on it before trading it on a new 2012 Challenger SRT 392. Never in the shop but for an air bag recall. Now both of these were design holdovers from Daimler using Hemi engines. I'm sure some of the FWD drive models, especially since Fiat took over, have been troublesome but don't lump everything they build into the same steaming pile.

They really want Jeep. RAM would be a bonus. Hyundai isn't the only one that wants Jeep, Chinese manufacturer Great Wall Motor Company and Volkswagen have also been trying to buy the brand. Regardless of what happens with Jeep and RAM, IMO the rest of Chrysler will soon be gone.

Originally Posted By: jhs914
Everyone always rags on Chrysler quality but I owned a new 2005 Dodge Challenger RT and put over 100,000 trouble free miles on it before trading it on a new 2012 Challenger SRT 392. Never in the shop but for an air bag recall. Now both of these were design holdovers from Daimler using Hemi engines. I'm sure some of the FWD drive models, especially since Fiat took over, have been troublesome but don't lump everything they build into the same steaming pile.

Not everyone … son has a 2007 Chrysler 300 past 200k … no repair … just PM … hard miles … (lead foot driven)
PM done: timing belt (did water pump while cheap/easy) … trans fluid twice, rear end oil once … brake pads …
Used to run mostly M1 10w30 … but last 60k has been whatever is on sale …
About to trade it so not doing anything else …
I worked in Korea for two years and see what they buy … an existing trade deficit has already doubled …
Not a fan of Korean products …

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
The Jeep and Ram brand is making a lot of money for Chrysler. I just wish it was Ford or GM in a bidding war for them.

Agreed. Not sure if that would fly given the effect on some markets, e.g. full size trucks, but that's for the courts.

I'd suspect that Hyundai wants them to gain an entry into the low cost full size truck market, some more SUV, and they have had past alignment with smaller engines.

I'd suspect there's also a decent carrot in therms of Euro market share for Fiat and other related vehicle brands over there.

Chinese and a Indian makes are too downmarket for most of the world. Hyundai has an opportunity as they're just downmarket enough/subsidized/whatever enough to offer cheap cars, yet be accepted in the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back