Additive Component Chemistry IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
This formula is composed of the following:

Performance Improver - 7% (All additive chemistries necessary for the application).
Viscosity Index Improver (VII) - 3.6%
Ester - 12% (2.7 cSt)
PAO 2 - 9.4% (~ 2.1 cSt)
PAO 6 - 68% (~ 5.9 cSt)

Hints: It has a Brookfield Viscosity of approx. 3,850 and a Kinematic viscosity of 3.1 cSt@150C.

Please identify the 1) fluid, and its 2) application.

This question is open to all.

Originally Posted By: wwillson
1) Compressor oil

2) Lubricate refrigerant compressors

I've been bouncing off compressor oil for the last day.

One of the two most recent responses were correct.
cool.gif

Would anyone else venture a shot?
39.gif

Thanks to all who responded.

CR94 fires off with the correct answer and receives the virtual BITOG Coffee Mug with the Piston Cup Gold Leaf Lettering.
happy2.gif

Depending on the type of the PI package, this is a formula for a low viscosity (LV), Highly Stable, fuel efficient ATF for Step-Shift transmissions.

The Kinematic Viscosity is 5.9 to 6.02 cSt@100C.

The PI package would contain the following representative chemistries:

Succinimide dispersant
fatty phosphites, fatty acid amides, fatty epoxides, borated fatty epoxides, fatty amines, glycerol esters, borated glycerol esters, alkoxylated fatty amines, and borated alkoxylated fatty amines, metal salts of fatty acids, sulfurized olefins, fatty imidazolines, and any mixtures of the above – As Friction Modifiers.
di(para-nonyl phenylamine) - As the Anti-Oxidant
dialkyl hydrogen phosphite - As the Anti-wear
tolyltriazole - As the Corrosion Inhibitor
alkylthiodimercaptothiadiazole - As the Metal Deactivator
silicone/fluorosilicone - as the Anti-foam agent

The finished ATF would of course also contain 250-500 ppm of Red, Amber, or a Blue organic dye, the base oils, and of course a stable Polymethacrylate Viscosity Index Improver (VII).

Questions? Comments?

One Additional Note:

ATF if a special hydraulic oil for the following purposes:
Lubrication for gears.
Cooling and heat transfer.
Transmitting torque via the Torque Converter.
Friction modification for clutch packs, bands, Torque Converter Clutch.

One of its more important duties of ATF is to make sure the fluid's coefficient of friction is matched to the friction materials inside the tranny. I.e., to ensure the proper static and dynamic coefficients of friction during engagement/disengagement.

In the early days of AT's the clutch material was composed of cellulose material with cotton and other soft materials in a phenolic resin binder. Today, hybrid materials are used.

Hybrid (or composite) materials are typically manufactured using a process similar to that used for paper-based materials, but using carbon fibers in combination with organic or synthetic fibers such as Kevlar and aramid fibers.

Many of the clutch materials from various manufacturers are close in terms of static and dynamic friction coefficients.

The clutch disc material of Automatic Transmissions, and other wet clutch applications, are made of porous friction materials which are bonded to steel core plates.

Friction materials may include cellulose, carbon fiber, Aramids, fiberglass, or a combination of materials (composites).

Today, composites are the norm.

Note: Sintered metal composites may be found in HDD applications.

This material must exhibit:

1.) Mu(o), low speed dynamic coefficient; affected by friction material ingredients and ATF additives adsorption

2.) Mu(i), initial dynamic coefficient at high speed; affected by hydrodynamic effects/porosity/compression/roughness.

When an additive company tests its ATF additive package, many transmissions are run through the SAE2 and other friction test machines (JASO M349-98, R-H Friction Apparatus, ZF GK Test Bench, Low Velocity Friction Apparatus, etc) to determine if the Friction Modifier set is appropriate.

The friction characteristics (Mu verses Velocity) of the clutch/fluid system are carefully monitored for each separate transmission and fluid formulation.

Mu is coefficient of friction plotted on the vertical axis, V is the relative speed of rotating components plotted on the horizontal axis. Mu(v) then is the resulting curve of the frictional characteristics of the clutch/fluid system.

The appropriate FM additive type and levels are then determined for the complete additive package.

I bring this up because of the above list of ATF Friction Modifiers:

fatty phosphites, fatty acid amides, fatty epoxides, borated fatty epoxides, fatty amines, glycerol esters, borated glycerol esters, alkoxylated fatty amines, and borated alkoxylated fatty amines, metal salts of fatty acids, sulfurized olefins, fatty imidazolines, non-hydroxyl fatty tertiary amines, and any mixtures of the above.

The exact composition of and specific chemistry (molecular structure) of the Friction Modifier(s) are closely guarded secrets.

With the many different chemistries and potential mixes available, I think one can now see why Mutli-Vehicle fluids can be manufactured.

Ford Type "F" ATF is a fluid with very low levels of friction modification and has a Mu(V) curve separate and apart from either the Dexron Series or the Chrysler ATF+ series.

Ford Type "F" ATF is often used today in racing transmissions such as the PowerGlide and TH400 Turbohydramatics because of the positive lockup, IE, little to no slip in the clutch packs during engagement.

Chrysler ATF+ fluids are on the other end of the spectrum and exhibit a completely different Mu(V) characteristic.

For a more Technical Study on ATs and heat transfer one can go to:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/automatic-transmissions-study/

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
... CR94 fires off with the correct answer and receives the virtual BITOG Coffee Mug with the Piston Cup Gold Leaf Lettering.
happy2.gif
Thank you sir! I shall treasure it! With the low-viscosity synthetics in your recipe, I could tell it was a modern version, but couldn't guess further detail.

Now, per Toyota recommendation, I'm using their WS ATF in a transmission in which friction modifiers are irrelevant, as far as I know. (My previous car used Type F ATF in a manual.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back