2015 Ford Powerstroke Fuel Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed both of them today, I went over my normal FCI by 5K. No pictures, but they looked fine. The lower filter housing had some rust flakes in it and once before there was also some. My tank is plastic so it is in the fuel.

I just need to figure out which station has old tanks and stop going there. I use Stanadyne, Howe's, or Diesel Clean with every tank as added protection against lack of lubricity in ULSD, but I also run biodiesel which has a little more lubricity than standard #2 Diesel.

Anyone else use fuel additives?

I do not believe any of the new diesel engines are very picky about the lubricity of the diesel fuel. But the Bosch VP44 in my 1999 Dodge Ram w/Cummin was a mechanical injector pump and required the proper lubricity.

I used TC-W3 two cycle oil to add to that diesel fuel.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
I use this with every fill up on my old Ford 7.3 and now on my Duramax.

I also don't use Biodiesel.
Yes, I use this one too. No choice in my area, biodiesel is all there is.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I do not believe any of the new diesel engines are very picky about the lubricity of the diesel fuel. But the Bosch VP44 in my 1999 Dodge Ram w/Cummin was a mechanical injector pump and required the proper lubricity.

I used TC-W3 two cycle oil to add to that diesel fuel.
I would stay on top of your filter maintenance and drain monthly. There are many cases of the HPFP having issues in 2012-2016 Ford trucks posted, mostly due to water in the fuel. I use the additives for water control as much as lubricity.

Well I am glad I have yet to find any rust in the fuel I buy. I only use high traffic stops and fingers crossed I wont run into any issues.

My Ram uses a 2 filter setup as well. The rear course filter/water separator seems to soak up the brunt of the debris. I wish it was a cartridge filter so I could inspect it without having to tear it down (have yet to). The front cartridge (3 micron) always comes out looking great at 24,000km. So much so I will begin extending the change index off warranty.

I don't use additives. I spoke with a few of my friends in the area that run diesels. Cummins and Powerstrokes. No one uses them and have yet to run into any issue. No one treats with antigel either as the stations up here use seasonal fuel and do a good job of keeping their tanks in order.

I have a Duramax with the Denso HPFP and run Opti-Lube XPD. It may not be required, but with the lubricity index of ULSD, I'd rather be safe than have an expensive repair bill if the HPFP would go like many of the Bosch CP3/CP4 pumps did.

Originally Posted By: wwillson
I have a Duramax with the Denso HPFP and run Opti-Lube XPD. It may not be required, but with the lubricity index of ULSD, I'd rather be safe than have an expensive repair bill if the HPFP would go like many of the Bosch CP3/CP4 pumps did.
Agreed; the Bosch is what Ford uses.

The rust most likely came out of the fuel terminal or pipeline. It is amazing the amount of junk that comes up out of the pipelines that only run refined products when we run pigs through them. For the amount of product transferred it isn’t much at all but sends a nasty slug down the line when we clean it out.

I too am concerned with lower lubricity of ULSD. My 2003 Dodge Ram Cummins uses the CP-3 pump if I remember.

I found some report somewhere where different fuel additives were tested for lubricity. I think I may have found the information on the turbo diesel register.com forum. I ended up choosing Amalgamated TDR-WDA fuel additive. I went with the 2.5 gallon container, which was right around $100. Amalgamated was really nice to deal with.

I haven’t run the truck with straight fuel since I have owned the truck.

My goal is to prevent having to replace any of the high pressure fuel system components for as long as possible.

Sorry, the link I was going to attach seems to be a dead link now..

Stanadyne every tank here, after trying several different adds. Decent product, price is right at Rural King.
I just ordered a quart of FP60 to try as well.

Keep those filters clean, gents.
While a sales blurb, I have a tendency to believe it. VP Fuels on Diesel
I'm still running Stanadyne every tank, I started adding FP60 in a small dose as well. FP60 smells just like a new vinyl pool liner to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back