Sorta Fixed the Air in My Suburban Today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this morning on my way out for bagels, it was pretty warm so I turned on the AC in my truck and had cold air coming only from the passenger side ducts and HOT air coming out on my side. I fooled around with the controls hoping I'd "wake something up" but no dice.
I poked around on the internet and found that there are three actuator door motors inside the dash. No real information which one does what. I began by removing the driver side knee kick or whatever that lower panel is called. I found one motor up alongside the hvac controls. It routes air up to the windshield. Removed the passenger side cover and found the easy one that there are videos for. It moved back and forth but still no cold driver air.
Finally, I removed the panel on the top of the dash with the two center vents in it. Peered through a small hole and see the third motor. I was able to get my fingers on the plug and unplug it and plug it back in. Nothing. Out of desperation I took a long screwdriver and sent the handle in and gave it a rap. Suddenly, my son says Dad, you have cold air. Awesome.
Now, I have to figure out how to swap this thing out because I'm sure this is not a permanent repair. I ordered a new one. Figure it out by the time it gets here.

My grandparent's Trailblazer did this. A friend of mine is a mechanic and he just unplugged that motor (it defaults to Cold somehow) and then after that it was permanent cold air on the driver's side. Even in the winter, which isn't all that bad in Phoenix.

It might buy you some time if you want to put it off for a couple months.

Would disconnecting, giving it 15 minutes, then reconnecting the battery be enough to 'reset' these actuator motors... and get them to work properly again?

The Left Temp Actuator is on the bottom of the HVAC housing. Right over the Trans tunnel.
Remove the right side under dash sight shield (7mm headed bolts)
Then you can see the Left Temp Actuator, Held on by 5.5mm headed bolts.

1 - Mode Actuator
2 - Air Temperature Actuator - Right
3 - Recirculation Actuator
5 - Air Temperature Actuator - Left

eHifyql.gif

Mrsilvo4, I tried that. No go.

Clinebarger, Thanks. I believe I thunked #2. I didn't even know #5 was in there. Thanks. When I took the passenger side foot shield down, there was one right there in the passenger side footwell, not quite over the trans tunnel. I guess that one was #4.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Would disconnecting, giving it 15 minutes, then reconnecting the battery be enough to 'reset' these actuator motors... and get them to work properly again?
no the gears strip and they don't move any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back