8th gen civics and cracking engine blocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello from Wisconsin.

I was wondering if anyone could share your thoughts on the 2007 Civic I purchased a few weeks ago.

Like a dummy I didn't do any research on the car with it being a honda, I thought they were well sorted reliability wise.

The car is stupid clean and only has 60k miles on it.

What are the chances of my block cracking? I'm finding mixed reports online.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That warranty was only good for 10 years, my car is 11 years old.

I do appreciate the reply.

I know its too late to worry, but am crossing my fingers that someone in the know here can tell me the probability is low. (crosses fingers)

I’m not ‘in the know’ per se, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...plus I read the referenced CR article, so I have an educated opinion to offer.

If your car has been on the road (not sitting in a garage or something) for the majority of its life, especially if its been on the road for more than 8 years, and it has not developed the cracks yet, you should be fine.

You obviously want to keep a close eye on the temp gauge and even check the coolant level as often as possible (every fill up), but I think you’re going to be okay with this car.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I know 4 people who own 2006-2008 Civics, and 2 of them cracked.

What about their cars, any problems that you know of?
grin.gif

I’m hoping a Honda expert chimes in on this but first, was the block issue widespread or only affected certain lots? Secondly, can you verify that you have the original engine in your vehicle? It’s possible the block has already been replaced. That would be verified by casting marks or some other identification.

Edit to add: There was a period of time that Subaru went through with troubles with their engines yet many owners never had problems. I’m sure this is the case with Honda as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The_Nuke
If your car has been on the road (not sitting in a garage or something) for the majority of its life, especially if its been on the road for more than 8 years, and it has not developed the cracks yet, you should be fine.

I'm really hoping for the best and pray that this will be the case for my new wheels.

I'm going to call honda this coming week to see if it has been replaced, but I'm 95% sure it has not.

Last edited:
I work on LOTS of those civic's. And I mean lots. I've seen exactly one come through my shop with the cracked block issue.

You're 99% likely to be fine.

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
I work on LOTS of those civic's. And I mean lots. I've seen exactly one come through my shop with the cracked block issue.

That CR article didn’t mention the root cause for the cracks to form in the form place. Since Honda was replacing whole engines under warranty i’m guessing it was a problem in the casting process or something. Has anyone ever come out and said what the underlying issue was that caused the cracks to form?

I'm hoping so! Thank you for your reply.

Keep an eye on coolant level in the reservoir, if it goes down quick, most likely you have cracked block.

Also, check your cars service history, maybe it is changed in the past?

Originally Posted By: dgunay
Keep an eye on coolant level in the reservoir, if it goes down quick, most likely you have cracked block.

Also, check your cars service history, maybe it is changed in the past?

Thanks for the reply. I'll check this coming week to see if it has.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I have seen 3 with cracked blocks. They crack on the front of the passenger side.

May I ask, 3 out of how many and what length of time?

Thanks.

Could you sell the car for what you paid for it? And then find a 2009-2011? While the chance of the block cracking is low it will always be in the back of your mind. An added bonus is that the 2009-2011's have some interior and exterior updates that makes them look nicer.
BTW, early 2009's can also crack. So look for a late 2009 to 2011.

2010Civic, I'd have to tell anyone looking at the car about the potential problem, otherwise I'd be making some serious karma. I highly doubt anyone is going to buy the car knowing of the potentials.

Originally Posted By: 154cm
That warranty was only good for 10 years, my car is 11 years old.

I do appreciate the reply.

I know its too late to worry, but am crossing my fingers that someone in the know here can tell me the probability is low. (crosses fingers)

I missed that, anyway occasionally they'll good will a repair on a case by case basis. If you're really concerned sell it, take your losses and move on. I learned that lesson a long time ago, to do just that vs. get myself sick worrying over something. Or put the money aside for if or when the problem arises. Not much else you can do.

Yes, a lot of 06 were affected and not all of them though, I believe it was a certain plant where they were manufactured.

Your best bet would be to call Honda and give them your VIN and they'll validate it.

I doubt it's going to leak now. In my case on my car it was done around 55-60K mark under warranty by PO.

You are going to be fine, fingers crossed and knocking on wood
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back