Just ordered Nokian Z-line A/S

Status
Not open for further replies.
From simpletire.com for $96 per tire (shipped) for 235/50r18

What's the worst it can happen? Last as long as the stock continental contiprocontact?

Cool! Let us know how you like them once you put some miles on them.

is this for the Tiguan? I was looking at these tires for wife's Q5, but in size 235/55/19, they seem to be available as a runflat only, which I do not want.

Looking forward to your Impression.

I have Nokian Entyre's on the GTI and Rotiiva's on the Jeep.

Love the Entyre, but it's wearing pretty quick. I blame that on a soft compound and my driving habits here on the winding roads of the Lehigh Valley.

Last edited:
I, too, am interested in hearing a brief review... I was close to ordering a set for my M45 but I ordered cheaper Milestar MS932 XP with last week's eBay 20% off deal.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab

Love the Entyre, but it's wearing pretty quick. I blame that on a soft compound and my driving habits here on the winding roads of the Lehigh Valley.

[off-topic]
123Saab,
did you experience wheel spin or slips with the Entyres?
How was your rain/wet pavement experience?
[/off-topic]

look at what showed up at my door

40951710650_38be6a621a_b.jpg

Made in Russia (until the Dayton, TN is operational)
27893432137_c3e47a984e_b.jpg

3817 for 3 tires and 3917 for 1 tire
40951707880_570de6687e_b.jpg

27893430777_5c02bb60e0_b.jpg

Originally Posted By: krzyss
Try Nokian page and see what they offer. If Nokian page says RF it is RF.

Krzys
It's weird that simpletire.com says size 235/55/19 is runflat, but Nokian's website does not.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: 123Saab

[off-topic]
123Saab,
did you experience wheel spin or slips with the Entyres?
How was your rain/wet pavement experience?
[/off-topic]

They are fine in the wet imho.

The GTI will spin pretty much any tire if motivated enough.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: krzyss
Try Nokian page and see what they offer. If Nokian page says RF it is RF.

Krzys
It's weird that simpletire.com says size 235/55/19 is runflat, but Nokian's website does not.

I would tend to trust the vendor more than reseller/dealer.

Krzys

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
look at what showed up at my door

40951710650_38be6a621a_b.jpg

Made in Russia (until the Dayton, TN is operational)
[

What are your initial impressions with the Z-line A/S tires as you handle them. Do they look and feel like a durable high quality product? I remember when my Entyre's arrived at my house, I picked them up and inspected them carefully. They looked and felt top-tier. Now, thousands of miles later, coming up for their second rotation, I love them.

Wet: Hasn't rained yet
Snow: Not planning on it. I use winter tires in the winter on my cute-ute

Dry comments:
Seems to grip better even on broken pavement that would normally throw my car off kilter.

Noise: it's a UHPAS tire, noise isn't #1 priority. That being said, on my Android sound meter app, I get 68-70 dB doing 70 mph on the highway. Worn ContiProContacts clock in at 71 dB. Not a bad start for noise.

No rim protector, but the sidewall bulges out enough on 7" wide wheels.

Last edited:
If I were to make a prediction about winter performance, I would say extremely light snow. Not nearly enough siping that I would be comfortable with, even with AWD.

The 2 solid ribs with minimal siping are for dry handling

I loved the previous Zline although they were softand wore quickly & were dangerous in snow/ice! (As expected) They rode well, were quiet & handled and stopped well. Only downside short tread life (20-30K) and bad cold weather issues!

I bought a set of Zline AS 245/45x17 for my '08 AUDI A6 Avant and installed them two days before our last snow of this extended winter! While I did drive much in snow I had enough time to determine that they're far better in cold/snow than the previous Zline! Even though they're designed for colder temps they still feel somewhat imbalanced until they warm up. I installed them April 16 & have 5000 miles on them and am extremely pleased with their behavior! One thing that is seldom mentioned is the fact that in 20-25 yrs of using Nokian tires primarily I've found that no matter what performance category Nokians always are superb in the wet! The best anti-hydro planing tire I've ever used.!

Complaining about snow performance of summer tires is strange.
I wonder how much dry and wet performance Nokian gave up to provide some snow performance.

Krzyś

Originally Posted By: stuffinder
...no matter what performance category Nokians always are superb in the wet! The best anti-hydro planing tire I've ever used.!

This has been my experience with the Entyre 2.0, as well. When I have driven them in heavy rains, the only thing that slowed me down was the windshield wipers not clearing the windshield fast enough. And on dry winding roads, it seriously feels like a high performance tire. GRIP GALORE!! In my high riding wagon, I get a huge s**t grin every time I nail the curves. I can only imagine what the OP's ZLine A/S' must be like. WOW
wink.gif

I don't think we're complaining about lack of snow/ice/cold performance as much as making people aware of the fact that the Zline AS does have
have improved performance in that department as compared to it's predecessor the Zline. I believe the UTOQ rating dhow that it will give additional tread wear as well. Zline was 300, Zline AS 500 I believe. I don't think the handling is degrade much compared to Zline & I prefer a tire that I don't have swap due to danger in cold/snow/ice conditions! I've been averaging 35-40 k miles annually since 1966 in Porsche 356, VW's, Peugeot 504's, Volvo 122,145,745,965 and since moving to a bad hill in 2010 AUDI A4,S6, A6 Avants. Most of these cars were purchased used so I've had plenty of opportunity to experience all sorts of tires. Nokians have been the best winter tire I've used although I splurged on my 1st AUDI with a set of Vredestein Wintrac Extreme's. The Vred's were the best handling winter tire I've evr used but not up to Nokian in Snow/Ice! Due to the fact that Nokian is known as a "Snow" tire company their Summer tires have been slow sellers. They can often be found languishing in some warehouse in the Sunny South or Far West at absurdly low prices! I saw 245/45x17 Zline's at 50-60 bucks a yearorr two ago on simple tire! Not all my Nokian experience has been excellent, the early "All Season, WR G2 I think became serious screamers under 20K, others have have had similar experience. Frequent rotation is a must, especially on AUDI's, BMW's & M-B's according to a Nokian tech guy I talked to years ago. BTW the Nokian Entyre 2.0's I just put on my daughters A6 handle almost as well as the Zline AS and are smoother riding & should give more tread life & be even better in Cold/Snow. I needed something more cold weather worthy to balance her Studded R2's!

Originally Posted By: stuffinder
I don't think we're complaining about lack of snow/ice/cold performance as much as making people aware of the fact that the Zline AS does have
have improved performance in that department as compared to it's predecessor the Zline. I believe the UTOQ rating dhow that it will give additional tread wear as well. Zline was 300, Zline AS 500 I believe. I don't think the handling is degrade much compared to Zline & I prefer a tire that I don't have swap due to danger in cold/snow/ice conditions! I've been averaging 35-40 k miles annually since 1966 in Porsche 356, VW's, Peugeot 504's, Volvo 122,145,745,965 and since moving to a bad hill in 2010 AUDI A4,S6, A6 Avants. Most of these cars were purchased used so I've had plenty of opportunity to experience all sorts of tires. Nokians have been the best winter tire I've used although I splurged on my 1st AUDI with a set of Vredestein Wintrac Extreme's. The Vred's were the best handling winter tire I've evr used but not up to Nokian in Snow/Ice! Due to the fact that Nokian is known as a "Snow" tire company their Summer tires have been slow sellers. They can often be found languishing in some warehouse in the Sunny South or Far West at absurdly low prices! I saw 245/45x17 Zline's at 50-60 bucks a yearorr two ago on simple tire! Not all my Nokian experience has been excellent, the early "All Season, WR G2 I think became serious screamers under 20K, others have have had similar experience. Frequent rotation is a must, especially on AUDI's, BMW's & M-B's according to a Nokian tech guy I talked to years ago. BTW the Nokian Entyre 2.0's I just put on my daughters A6 handle almost as well as the Zline AS and are smoother riding & should give more tread life & be even better in Cold/Snow. I needed something more cold weather worthy to balance her Studded R2's!

I was contemplating the Zline's too for the GTI but living in the hilly north east PA I felt the Entyre 2.0 might be a better winter tire and mine were very good last winter.

Still very curious about the winter performance of the Zline.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
If I were to make a prediction about winter performance, I would say extremely light snow. Not nearly enough siping that I would be comfortable with, even with AWD.

The 2 solid ribs with minimal siping are for dry handling

I'd have to agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back