looking for suggestions on oil brand

Status
Not open for further replies.
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo / 2wd / 5.7 Hemi V8 / 103k miles
has always been serviced at dealer, but will start changing myself.

7 quart capacity

Calls for 5w-20. Thinking of going with Penzoil Full Synthetic.

Honestly, all of the Majors (Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Castrol, Valvoline) are very good. I would run any with confidence in your application. Choose what’s on sale, and perhaps consider their high mileage offerings. I would opt for 5W-30 in your application as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Any Major brand with the API sticker that is full synthetic.

This

As said above, I'd use an API recognized synthetic.

I just don't KNOW about going with a non-spec grade (the 5W-30). Ironic because my car specs a 5W-30 or a 10W-30 for heavy / hot applications.
I run Mobil1 0W-40!

"Everyone says" the 0W-20's and 5W-20's are a cheap shot by car makers to get a tiny bit of fuel economy.

Georgia is plenty hot, no?

Originally Posted By: dawgn86
Calls for 5w-20. Thinking of going with Penzoil Full Synthetic.

Fine choice with Pennzoil, also Quaker State is owned by Pennzoil in case you want to save a few bucks.

Napa Synthetic will be on sale for a week starting tomorrow. 7/1-7/8 it will be $2.99/qt. Napa synthetic is rebranded Synpower
smile.gif

If you can get to Napa today 6/30, they have PP for $4.99/qt and there is a $2/qt rebate on top of that. But you must go TODAY. Get off the computer and drive to Napa NOW (unless you already bought some. There is a 10-quart limit on the rebate)

The Napa Platinum filter sale also ends today. $8.99 for a spin-on, $13.99 for most cartridges.

Pennzoil Platinum with PurePlus (PPPP) 10W-30 SN PLUS

It has the least amount of viscosity-index improver (VII) and is the thickest among the PPPP varieties. Great for a hemi engine and/or towing in a climate without harsh winters.

Quaker State High Mileage or Pennzoil Conventional High Mileage 5W20 or 5W30 running 5000 miles for an oil change paired with a Fram Ultra that you can use for 15 or 20 thousand miles overall and rest easy!!!
wink.gif

Dale

Last edited:
Some of these engines do suffer the known Hemi tick and some do exhibit soft cams.
In the case of your car and engine, any damage has already been done by now so any 5W-20 should be okay.
There is also no magic in synthetic labeled oils if that's a concern.
In Georgia, there'd be nothing wrong with using something a little stouter, like M1 HM 10W-30, should you feel that a twenty is too thin.
I might well select that grade and oil were I you.

ST 5w20 full synthetic. Under $16 for 5 quarts at WM. They also have a HM version if you prefer that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back