synforce Ultimate 0w40 PAO group 4 based oil VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone thought I would post This up as there is very little information about this company syn Force Oil is a small Australian based company that strives for quality So it’s not a cost price oil by any means

THE Ultimate 0w40 IS A 100% group 4 PAO and can be used in light load Diesel engines
meets or exceeds the following;

ACEA A3/B3-16 ... API SN/CF ... BMW Longlife 01 and diesel 04 ... Ilsac GF-5 ... Ford WSS-M2C937-A .. Porsche A40 .. MB 229.3/229.5 .. VW 502.00 and 505.00 .. SAE 0w40

Typical specifications ... 86cst @ 40 degC ... 14.85cst @ 100 degC ... VI 181 ... Sulphated Ash 0.93

I will be using it in a Jeep Wrangler jk 2.8 l turbo

Later on in the year I will post A used oil analysis and see how it stacks up let me know what you think
https://www.synforce.com.au/petrol_engine_oils.html

Last edited:
Anything that meets A40 is good oil.
229.3/229.5 and 502/505 are usually A3B4 but this is only A3B3 so I'm curious as to why it not has a TBN of 6.3

Hmmm... to be MB 229.5 then it needs to be A3/B4 (but it only claims the lesser A3/B3), to be A3/B4 it needs a TBN > 10, but it only shows a 6.3 TBN.

It also claims both Porsche A40 (high HTHS) and ILSAC GF-5 (low HTHS).

Thanks for posting. But their claims don't make sense to me.

The usual “meets or exceeds” waffling, right? Doesn’t actually have any of the certifications listed so it can be whatever they want it to be.

Yeah not sure if I will use it again as the zinc and TBN is very Low it seems to be working ok so far we will see what it looks like when I get the 10,000 km results back

So I message the technical support and he got back to me today he said there should be no traces of aluminium, no copper, no chromium, no sodium, no iron, no potassium, no lead, no tin, no nickel, no moly, no magnesium, no silicon .. So maybe that analysis wasn’t done correctly maybe it was contaminated

This is a list of what it does have
boron 13.52, phosphorus 700, calcium 2300, zinc 800, sulphur 2600, nitrogen 700 ... further the base # is 8, the sulphated ash is 0.950, viscosity at 40 is 86cSt, viscosity at 100 is 14.7 cSt, viscosity index is 179 ... these are typical specs and may vary SLIGHTLY from batch

The PQ Index is new to me. Looked it up and its good to have for used oil especially. It gives you some idea if you have iron particles greater than 10 microns wide in there, since the spectrographic PPM measure of iron doesn't completely burn them up when they are big like that. Didn't know you could get that. Of course, a decent oil filter with high efficiency numbers like Fram Ultra should get about half the particles over 10 microns out, just noting that.

Originally Posted By: mitchellp
So I message the technical support and he got back to me today he said there should be no traces of aluminium, no copper, no chromium, no sodium, no iron, no potassium, no lead, no tin, no nickel, no moly, no magnesium, no silicon .. So maybe that analysis wasn’t done correctly maybe it was contaminated
Funny how phone reps aren't always right about stuff.
-----> No iron?: You usually have 1 ppm iron just from the pipes and tanks they store or ship the oil in, so its normal here.
-----> No magnesium?: Every oil I've seen has at least 5 ppm or more of Mg. Oils these days typically have a lot more, like around 500 ppm or so for anti-LSPI.
-----> No silicon?: The anti-foaming additives have silicon, so its normal to have a little.

It is wrong for them to throw out so many specs that they may or may not actually meet. Marketing tricks.
I wonder what they use for FM, if any, since moly is not there. That could be left out here.

So I spoke to them a little bit more about the additive package he said mostly from Lubrizol Corporation he also said that they use antimony instead of Molly what’s the difference which one is better The particular engine I’m using it in the jeep jk 2.8l vm motori a428 is known for doing the big and bearings

One thing I have noticed is my fuel consumption is a lot better than my previous oil but my motor seems to be a lot more noisy now which I’m not sure is a coincidence or not

This does look like Lubrizol chemistry but it is their older API SN/GF-5 additive package and definitely not one of their API SN + OEM products. Lubrizol do not use antimony as a core package component in engine oils. As previous poster has said there are so many competing/obviously wrong claims I would be cautious. Stick with the more well known Australian blenders like Penrite, Nulon and Gulf Western if you want to keep it local as they all have API licenced products.

With your Wrangler you don't mention which year and whether it has a DPF or not. If it has a DPF (most post 2010 did) then you're using the wrong oil type, you will need ACEA C3 (C category is for engines with exhaust after treatment like a DPF). If it has a DPF and you want to stick with the xW-40 and with an Australian blender you should consider Nulon 5W-40 Passenger and Light COmmercial, Penrite Enviro+ 5W-40 or Gulf Western Syn-X 6000 5W-40.

If you don't have a DPF you could use a proper diesel oil - use API CJ-4 or higher. You get much higher zinc levels (anti-wear) and better detergent/dispersant to clean up and neutralise combustion components and suspend them in the oil so they don't block your oil galleries.

Originally Posted By: mitchellp

This is a list of what it does have
boron 13.52, phosphorus 700, calcium 2300, zinc 800, sulphur 2600, nitrogen 700 ... further the base # is 8, the sulphated ash is 0.950, viscosity at 40 is 86cSt, viscosity at 100 is 14.7 cSt, viscosity index is 179 ... these are typical specs and may vary SLIGHTLY from batch

Well, he is wrong on a couple of items.

The low levels of Aluminum and Iron in New Oil analysis is a result of the Metal inhibitor and Anti-Corrosion chemistry in the Additive (PI) package.

Further, notice the TBN was estimated using FTIR, so I have assume they are speaking of this:

FTIR

Sometimes a small amount of Tin Naphthenate or Sn DTC is added to the mix.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back