Could this carbon deposit be avoided? pics inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

this is the piston from a rebuilt engine. It was changed with a new of course.
The deposits seen on the top are hard like concrete. High oil consumption before rebuilding the engine also played its role..
Not sure if the gasoline quality was good.
Could this have been avoided with a fuel system cleaner? Please share your thoughts.
Thank you

I would say yes to all the above, poor fuel quality, lack of cleaner, poor oil intervals, and high consumption lead to these deposits. Proof that preventative maintenance does pay off.

Oil control ring looks stuck. I don't see how a fuel cleaner could prevent that, so IMO oil consumption would not have been impacted by fuel cleaner. The deposits, dunno. I suspect not.

2 stroke tcw3 in the gas might have mitigated the deposits. I've had startling results with it keeping the combustion chamber clean on an '89 1200 Sportster I had. ymmv

Hello everyone,

Hi Ragtopplvr,
please can you let me know about the traces on the piston that show this? you mean on the second picture on the border of the crown? (I don’t know if it is the exhaust or intake side)

Hi Supton,

engine faced a WOT situation just before showing the high oil consumption. Exactly after this (deadly..) trip that begun. Oil was a Group III as I suppose, could not find more in the web (I would rather avoid mentioning the brand). Weather was in the 104F+ temp, engine is aircooled.. (ok I was young then, now I know a little bot more). Could this make the ring to stuck?

Hi Audios,
I agree with your words- only one note- the oil was changed strictly in under 1600miles intervals. Maybe also poor quality of the oil back then. Now in the engine only M1 Vtwin, Amsoil or RL, 40wt min.

Thank you for your feedback all,

Last edited:
Before the WOT drive I wonder if the owner drove this car lazily? Higher gears and lugging/ spark knock? That piston has been through some stress with all that damage.

Hi Faltic,

does the Sportser has a catalytic converter? if yes, is it affected by the 2 stroke oil? since it has low flash temp does it not preignite?

Hi Pimtac, I am really not aware of this info.

I see piston scoring on the side of it. High oil consumption will increase piston deposits quite a bit. A PEA-based fuel additive would likely have decreased the deposits from that crazy amount, but I think there would still have been a more than normal amount of deposits since the oil consumption was high.

IMHO. i would run Marvel Mystery Oil. BUT not to much. the best way to do that is to run this upper oiler. http://www.ampcolubes.com/.......it does the same thing the old Marvel Mystery oiler did. of course i have one on my 01 dakota. the 2 stroke tcw3 oil sounds like a good way to go to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back