Shell Rotella 0w40 in a Nissan VQ35?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi everyone,

I've searched through here and couldn't find a definitive answer so I thought I'd ask directly if that's okay?

The available Shell Rotella T6 0w40 oil at stores here in Canada states its a diesel oil though I've used it in a Volvo T5 engine in the past.

I have a Nissan VQ35de (Murano) that I've been using pennzoil 5w30 and Mobil extended 5w30 in.

my question is: is this oil safe to use in a gas engine? I read somewhere about phosphorus being the reason it isn't officially rated for gas anymore but still great in a gas engine. is that true?

being in Canada with cold winters and warm summers, is the 0w40 a good choice Vs the 5w30?

Originally Posted By: m4gician
hi everyone,
I've searched through here and couldn't find a definitive answer so I thought I'd ask directly if that's okay?
The available Shell Rotella T6 0w40 oil at stores here in Canada states its a diesel oil though I've used it in a Volvo T5 engine in the past.
I have a Nissan VQ35de (Murano) that I've been using pennzoil 5w30 and Mobil extended 5w30 in.
my question is: is this oil safe to use in a gas engine? I read somewhere about phosphorus being the reason it isn't officially rated for gas anymore but still great in a gas engine. is that true?
being in Canada with cold winters and warm summers, is the 0w40 a good choice Vs the 5w30?

Why risk it?? There are many 0W40 that are suitable to a gas engine. What year is yr Murano? What viscosity does your manual suggest?

Last edited:
Shell Rotella T6 0-40 is not siutable for gasoline engines with catalytic convertors.

However Shell Rotella T6 10-30 is a multi fleet oil and is rated as SN and is suitable.

Last edited:
It'll be fine. T6 in 5w40 flavor has been a favorite of gasoline turbo car people for decades. Every Subaru forum is littered with people recommending it.

m4- if you have this oil on hand, use it.

I wouldn't buy it specifically for my VQ35DE?

Mine recommends 0w20 or 5w30 for severe use. I run 5w20 in it. LOl.

The Shell Technical Team has stated on previous occasions that there is no Rotella T6 oil suitable for use in gas cars with catalytic converters. That changed, however, with the release of Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W30 for mixed-fleet use.

+2 on the Castrol 0W-40.

I'm using this oil this summer in both - Forte and Sportage, both are 2014, MPI and GDI (non turbo).
Interesting part is not only engines run quieter and with way less vibration but also gas mileage improved in both compared to my staple PP 5W-30 oil that I've run since cars were new.
The Castrol I'm using is made in Germany.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Shell Rotella T6 0-40 is not siutable for gasoline engines with catalytic convertors.

However Shell Rotella T6 10-30 is a multi fleet oil and is rated as SN and is suitable.

Whoops. It’s actually T6 5-30 that is SN rated. Turnbrown also confirms that.

Last edited:
The word "Rotella" somehow fascinates people and they want to put it in all of their engines, regardless of what it does or doesn't. I know it sounds like Nutella but still... It's probably the most successful trademark choice in oil names ever!

Originally Posted By: VolkswagenFox21
I think the important thing that people aren't noticing here is that Rotella T6 0w40 isn't the same as the 5w40 variant. Rotella 0w40 is in fact SN rated. PDF from Shell's website

nice.

cj4/sn rating is important for gas engine I assume based on the scattered reading I've done.

I do have a left over bottle and would love to go Castrol 0w40 if I could get a sale.

as for manual, mine say 5w30 recommended so I mean PP in there now so can't do too badly but would love to a 0w40 or even a 0w30 to see how it does.

I also wanted to know would a 0w20 be good here or was it only compatible with certain models? was it made backwards compatible?

I think the important thing that people aren't noticing here is that Rotella T6 0w40 isn't the same as the 5w40 variant. Rotella 0w40 is in fact SN rated. PDF from Shell's website

“Latest API CJ-4 Category” ? Hmmmm. I need to check the date. Yep, that is correct. It’s CJ-4 / SN on the 2018 website.

Last edited:

Top of the class for you sir !
That's a recent 2017 data sheet too.

It's a perfectly acceptable choice for your engine, even if the gasoline spec had disappeared, which it apparently has not. If an E7, E9 type lubricant was suitable for your engine when it had CJ-4/SM, what would make it suddenly unsuitable when the E7, E9 type lubricant went to CK-4 with no gasoline specification?

Whether it's the most cost effective or convenient choice is something only you can answer, however. The Canadian Tire pricing on that is atrocious, and if you wish to use the product, I'd recommend getting in touch with a Shell distributor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back