coil/spark plug tester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did some googling, they're fairly cheap < 15$. Mixed reviews on mostly Chinese stuff. It will be a dedicated OPE tool. Any recommendations? My close vision is bad, seeing a spark whilst grounding and pulling the engine over is hard. TIA

If you can also hold the probe close to the plug wire with one hand, then I have an old GB Instruments non-contact voltage detector that I use to check for spark at the plug wire.
It has a red LED and an audible beeper that light and make noise when the spark fires.
https://goo.gl/images/XCvJ7o
Probably not made anymore. You have to squeeze the pocket clip continuously in order to provide voltage to its circuit.

I'm sure there are other makes that have an audible beeper. Hioki makes a nice one.
The visual and audible indicators help.

If you get a small fluorescent "flashlight" bulb at the dime store, they will light up as the spark moves through a carbon core or metal coil high tension wire.
v
I used this on my old 90's Silverado 4.3 six-er that was prone to misfire with its outdated iggy system and WAY too much advance** at low rpm light load.

** enough advance that the spark would fire on the previous terminal. I cut I open a window in the dist cap and witnessed this. Recall theses engines used a small cap dist.

The above only works well in low light situations.

Originally Posted By: rollinpete
I've had good luck with one of these
Just hold it to the spark plug wire.

click here

Most engines these days don't have spark plug wires and the plugs are deep between dual overhead cams. Can that device work with coil on plug type ignitions?

Originally Posted By: Dave1027

click here

Most engines these days don't have spark plug wires and the plugs are deep between dual overhead cams. Can that device work with coil on plug type ignitions?

Good question, not sure, never tried it on a coil on plug boot.

in the late 60s Champion had a pen with a neon bulb in it. if you held the metal end and the other metal end had big grove to fit the plug wire. it would light if the plug was firing. very cool. i bet a cleaver guy could make one.

Last edited:
I use a timing light as a spark tester...although that's overkill for just looking for a spark. I use it because it's a tool I always have handy and if I'm looking for a spark in the first place I'm probably going to need to use the light for its intended use soon.

Originally Posted By: Dave1027

click here

Good question, not sure, never tried it on a coil on plug boot.
You have OBDII that will tell you if you have a misfire and it will pinpoint the cyl. ON BOARD DIAGNOSTICS. all you need is a cheap code reader or better still, a Phone Dongle. This ain't 1968 or 1978.

I use a laser targeted infrared gun, less that $25 at harbor freight. If it aint firing, it is cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back