Kubota gearbox, where to get 00 grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have several Kubota mowers, they all have a deck gearbox. 2 i know have gear oil in them. Kubota says SAE80-SAE90 OR UDT or SUDT2, I put 75-90 synthetic in one and 80w90 in the other. Gearbox 3, i do not know what is in it. I just acquired it.

Multiple people tell me to put 00 grease in. These gearboxes are very expensive when they break, the problem is you dont know they are leaking until a problem occurs. I.E. something goes bang. 2 of the 3 are diesel powered, while quieter than the ZG20(gearbox 3), they also go clack clack clack.

Some guys at work use semi fluid for semi trailer wheel bearings. While i feel it is good, it is also $30 for 28oz. It is matrix 460 by Neo brake.

I also have some 00 grease from Tractor Supply, it was $5.

Recommendations?

Is the Tractor supply grease ok? And change it every other year?
Find a better 00 grease?

Should i put this in the lawn mower section?

The equipment is

B7500 with 60” belly mower
ZD21 zero turn, 60” mower
ZG20 zero turn, 48” mower

I use the 00 grease from Tractor Supply in my snow-blower auger's gear box. Never has a problem with their 00 grease, and a five-dollar quart of the stuff will last a lifetime.

I have 3 G series Kubotas with the on deck PTO box. No issues or noises with gear oil in 20 years of service/ ownership.

These have the gearbox from the crank pulley to the mower and another on the side if it's fitted for a bagger. Which ones are you trying to fill because perhaps that matters? The only one I think this would apply to is the B and I'll be honest I know nothing about zero turns.

I would go to the dealer with a p/n and see what they'd say.

Last edited:
Unless the gearboxes are leaking, I would just use a high quality gear oil.

I had a Woods Brushhog that would really cook the gear oil on a hot day. Some 80w90 with Moly took care of that.

See that is the problem, from what I am told, they begin to leak and you never know it until they fail. I have no problem running good gear oil or the UDT Kubota recommends. I have gallons of it, BUT I have over $3500 in gearboxes, so I am cautious.

The 00 seems to be what a lot of people go to for SAFETY.

Who is telling you this?? I've been running tractor mowers of many types for nearly 4 decades and I have never had one blow out a gearbox seal, loose all it's oil, and self destruct while mowing. In my experience, they begin to leak gradually and you can see wetness long before the gear case gets low. Just get in the habit of looking at your equipment for leaks before each use. Its not too difficult to peak under the mower deck (or wherever) and look for signs of leakage. Check the gearcase oil level at the beginning of the season also.

Maybe I have just been lucky. Or, I could understand your just-in-case "SAFETY" logic if you are running old, worn out equipment that you don't want to put maintenance labor and parts expense in to.

The problem in a Kubota is only one bearing is in the gear box, the other is the “spindle” bearing. It is greased. When it gets slack, the seal weeps into the thrown grass slowly. You never know you have a problem till it’s too late.

I work with a guy had a G2160 blow a seal, said he hadn’t seen anything, $800 later he is back in business. Front one of orangetractortalks has a guy with a bx2200...$1400 and he is up and running.

All 3 are mid-mount mowers.

No problems so far, the ZD21 has a little over 1100 hours and I don’t think it leaks.

Maybe I should just run what it calls for. I had a G1800 with 1600 hard hours on it, far as I know the box was fine.

Don't put udt, sudt or sudt2 in it. It's thinner than dex vi. Run 80-90 in it. Even Kubota will tell you this. Same for the front diff on the tractors.

Take a look at Final Drive 60...

CST of 300 at 40 verses CST of 125-150 in Delvac 50...

Used in off highway construction equipment...

I own 3 Kubotas, the list includes udt, sudt, sudt2, all are too thin. All Kubota mechanics say to use 80-90 or 00 grease in the mower boxes and and bush hog boxes. In the front diffs I run 80-90 on the 4wd models. If you use udt or sudt your axel seals will start leaking. As far as what to use in the hydraulic systems don't get me started on that. I got the msda sheets on many brands talked to the chemists from Kubota and other oil blenders. They agree the expensive orange bottles isn't the ideal fluid.

I own 3 Kubotas, the list includes udt, sudt, sudt2, all are too thin. All Kubota mechanics say to use 80-90 or 00 grease in the mower boxes and and bush hog boxes. In the front diffs I run 80-90 on the 4wd models. If you use udt or sudt your axel seals will start leaking. As far as what to use in the hydraulic systems don't get me started on that. I got the msda sheets on many brands talked to the chemists from Kubota and other oil blenders. They agree the expensive orange bottles isn't the ideal fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back