Amsoil SS 5w30 (new formula) 1.5T Honda 4554mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest report for my 1.5T. For those in doubt whether 5w30 can be safely used in these motors or not

While we’re always cautioned about reading too much in UOA wear metals, this looks really good. And it also supports the notion that modest (e.g.
Out of curiosity, how are you handling the possible warranty issue using a non-approved viscosity? I’d love to switch my Honda products to 5w-30 but can’t get over the worry that receipts that show the wrong grade could cause trouble.

Originally Posted By: parshisa
Latest report for my 1.5T. For those in doubt whether 5w30 can be safely used in these motors or not

Who would doubt running a 5w30 in a known fuel diluter!!

Looks good. Right choice up'ing the viscosity.

My Pilot is on 0w20 PP diet. That would be my answer Sir.

Even though the results look good with 5w30, next 2 fills will be 0w20 Ams SS since I have it sitting in the garage already. Plus, the report didn't really convince me that 30 weight delivers better 'protection' compared to 0w20. Instead, it looks like 0w20 TBN retention is superior to 5w30 (although these two oil are completely different formulations).

High silicon and major fuel dilution on a 2017? I'd be worried! Neither looks good for the long term on that car!

With the dilution problem, I certainly wouldn't put anything less than a 5W30 in it!

I'm curious why you had almost no fuel dilution at all on sample #1 from last August but now you're getting a significant amount. Something else is amiss, we can't just attribute this to being a turbocharged and direct injected engine.

That is an error on Polaris side. They ran fuel dilution test first time and came back with 5%+. I spoke to the rep about it and he said they will re-run the test. And it came back less than 1% which didn't make sense and that time and it still doesn't. Look at the viscosity trends, first interval is definitely diluted but measured incorrectly.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
High silicon and major fuel dilution on a 2017? I'd be worried! Neither looks good for the long term on that car!

With the dilution problem, I certainly wouldn't put anything less than a 5W30 in it!

The Amsoil 5W-30 showed 7 ppm silicon in the VOA he posted earlier. Accounting for that, the silicon is fine. The fuel dilution is high, but it wasn't unexpected and nothing is showing here that it's causing any damage.

If your going to run 5W30 I would look at a different brand. Less than 5K interval on Amsoil is crazy more so using their SS line. Maybe XL or OE.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
If your going to run 5W30 I would look at a different brand. Less than 5K interval on Amsoil is crazy more so using their SS line. Maybe XL or OE.

It wasn't an OCI, just a sample.

I will probably run it till 6-7K, but not sure I feel comfortable going longer really. As far as other off the shelf oils I got 4qts of PP5w30 oreder @ 2.7$/qt from Amazon. I wish I haven't used up rebate quote for this year otherwise it would be free lol.

I still have to use up 0w20 Ams SS that I purchased last year so it will be a while before I go with anything else.

Originally Posted By: JustN89
Originally Posted By: ARB1977

It wasn't an OCI, just a sample.

Got it

Sample 1 ?
Sample 2 ?
Sample 3 ?
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: Danh
While we’re always cautioned about reading too much in UOA wear metals, this looks really good. And it also supports the notion that modest (e.g.
Out of curiosity, how are you handling the possible warranty issue using a non-approved viscosity? I’d love to switch my Honda products to 5w-30 but can’t get over the worry that receipts that show the wrong grade could cause trouble.

If you live in the USA that would not be a problem with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Most turbos call for 5-30 or 5-40. 5-20 is ONLY being usedto meet CAFE standards so you can get that .00005 extra mile per gallon and it has NOTHING to do with engine wear and longevity. My 2018 Hyundai Kona AWD 1.6 turbo calls for 5w-30. All Audi's call for 0w to 5w 40. There is some issue not going to far only because SOME cars are sensitive to thicker oil with their adjustable cam timing that in all cases retards timing so it is on the safe side. So really going to 5w 30 is a win win for this fuel absorbing oil system.

That PP formualation is going on 4 years old.

I'm waiting to see a VOA of the new dexos2/SN Plus PPU/PP oils. They are claiming 65% greater piston cleanliness than GF-5 requirments (based on SEQ IIIG).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back