2) Needs to be small or midsize SUV
3) Reliable
4) Very Safe
5) 30k or less

Esp chime in if you've owned the particular car
Thx

Hyundai Tucson 2.0L with a traditional A/T
Mazda CX-5

We've been looking into one ourselves and my preference thus far has been the Tucson.

Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain
4) Very Safe

Do they sell anything that isn't safe anymore? I guess I'm trollin' here, but, just what isn't safe anymore? Skip small vehicles (sub-compact), maybe skip pickups (light rear, top heavy, VSC can only do so much) and everything else in the middle, isn't it all the same now?

I digress. While getting opinions here, can you take her out and hit up the lots? I mean, if she sees a CRV and starts crying, then that's out. If she drives a RAV4 and hates the seating position, then that's out. Suggestions here can only go so far.

Strongly recommend Hyundai Santa Fe or Kia Sorento.
- Low cost of ownership (check Edmunds)
- Reliable
- Highest crash test ratings (check IIHS)

New 2018 Santa Fe Sport going for $25K, if you shop around

Toyota Rav4. Thats about all I can think of if your looking for something as close to rock solid long term reliability as you can get. Plenty of other good options out there though. Mazda CX-5, VW Tiguan are two options that come to mind that may have a better "fun factor".

The Tucson would be a good choice as you can get one with MPI and a traditional 6 speed AT. The RAV4 is always a good choice in terms of reliability, but you'd have to get over the horrible front end styling (seriously, I don't know what Toyota is doing with their grilles, but they need to stop). Lastly, I'd include the CX-5. It should get some consideration here as they are fun to drive and look pretty good. Personally, I don't care much for Mazda's interior, but that's just personal opinion. There's nothing wrong with it from a quality perspective.

If you plan on taking meticulous records while servicing, or having it dealer serviced... I'd recommend Hyundai. Their warranty is pretty great provided they are happy with the service records. 10yr/100k warranty is pretty sweet.

That said I like the Ford Edge alot. If you don't need AWD the front drive model would be great and save a good amount.

Brand new Honda CRV or HRV
smile.gif

What kind of tech package does she want?

Tiguans have a very nice quality interior and (to me) classy styling.

I drove a 2017 with AWD and they have a very nice solid feel to them.

Forester. the elevated driver positioning and window designs give the forester some of the best visibility available.

Will passively contribute to "safety" by reducing driver error especially if driver is shorter and not as experienced.
Its not really reduction of injury to humans, as much as about avoiding fender bender or other minor accidents and bumps because she just didnt see it. However equally as frustrating in life.

also symmetric awd.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
Forester. the elevated driver positioning and window designs give the forester some of the best visibility available.

Will passively contribute to "safety" by reducing driver error especially if driver is shorter and not as experienced.
Its not really reduction of injury to humans, as much as about avoiding fender bender or other minor accidents and bumps because she just didnt see it. However equally as frustrating in life.

also symmetric awd.

I love how easy it is to see out of my Forester. It has a little more blind spot than my Cherokee, but still better than almost anything else!

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
XC60 T5.

Checks all the boxes handily and looks smart doing it.

+1
Or an XC90. Everyone seems to love 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back