Motorcycle oil change interval.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many miles do you normally put on your oil before changing it or do you just do it once a year?

Since I put on 3,000-5,000 a year on my bike I usually just change it once a year.

1976 Moto Guzzi Convert

Change every 5-7000 miles. Mobil 1 15-50 Syn. It's not the V twin version.. Guzzi recommends 20 - 50 dino as the plain shell bearings 60 + PSI oil pressure and is over built and under stressed.
My last Guzzi was a 1972 Eldorado with over er 350000 miles and it's still on the road
TOMB

I changed out the Guzzi's oils (engine, gearbox, final drive) at 1000 miles, which was slightly past the recommended mileage for First Service. Currently at 2500 miles on the odometer. Recommended service interval is every 6250 miles and since the engine oil is for engine only (no shared sump) and 10W60 I'll probably leave it in until that 6250 comes up.

The Ducati's I had before, the 2013 one called for 15W50 and 7500 mile service intervals but I changed it at 3750 miles on account of it was a shared sump wet clutch setup. The 2016 Duc had a 9000 mile service interval also 15W50 which I was going to halve that one too and do it at 4500 but I crashed and totaled the bike at 4200 last yr :~/

I do a lot of short trips on my Harley so I change mine every 2K miles. I figure that's probably what it should be with an air cooled bike that gets pretty hot riding around town. I change the filter (genuine H-D) every other oil change. Valvoline VR1 20W-50 conventional is what I use.

Usually every 2K at the most. I just like changing oil .....
cool.gif

The SYM takes 1L and the Suzuki takes 2L of Rotella T4
It's the most fun I can have for ~$10.00

I change my oil every 4500-5000 miles. That works out to be about 3 changes per year. Valvoline mc 20/50 mineral oil, with the bike run thru the winter and summer. HD filter at every change.,,,

hmmm... now you're going to get the OCD bitoger in me going again.

I typically just changed it once a year. But it's soo easy on the strom. There probably is no easier bike to change oil on.

When my left foot tells me it is time.

I am at around 2000 miles on my current oil (Peak 15w-40 syn-blend) and am starting to notice a little more notchiness in the shifting and neutral is sometimes a little harder to find.
I figure 2500 miles will be what I will be doing.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
When my left foot tells me it is time.

I am at around 2000 miles on my current oil (Peak 15w-40 syn-blend) and am starting to notice a little more notchiness in the shifting and neutral is sometimes a little harder to find.
I figure 2500 miles will be what I will be doing.

Same boat with the R1.
Harley will get 4-5k oci, once I get that noisy 76 out of there.
Fci=2xOCI.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
How many miles do you normally put on your oil before changing it or do you just do it once a year?

Since I put on 3,000-5,000 a year on my bike I usually just change it once a year.

I would say you are good with your schedule, assume you change the oil right before winter.

I change every 2500 to 3500 miles during the main warm weather riding season which would be 2 times a year but I change 3 times a year which includes one before winter change no matter what the mileage is or how much life is left in the present oil at this change, I only change the oil and not the filter because the filter at this point normally only has 2000 miles on it.
The reason I do the winter change is simply because I want fresh oil in for winter riding, can always get some warm weather riding time in where I live, then at other times the bike can sit for a couple weeks, also they are shorter trips for sure.

Bottom line, do to a mistake years ago by a company I order my oil from, I ended up with 8 gallons of oil for my bike, instead of the 4 gallons I ordered, so I have the luxury of keeping fresh oil in the engine.
BUT even so, I like the schedule I now do and works perfect 2 filters per year, 3 oil changes, again, 3rd change before start of winter, just oil, no filter because at that point, filter only has tops, 2000 miles on it and gets changed out with new filter and oil by May or so after winter.

Oil and filter change for my bike cost less then $23.

Last edited:
um...has varied somewhat from ride to ride; my 'standard' methodology seems to follow this 'plan' - new-to-me used bike...run oil in it as a flush for @ 100 miles & change a few times with shorter oci's to flush engine; afterward usually a spring oil change, mid-summer oil change, and late autumn change...this places relatively fresh oil in for winter storage and an annual engine flush with next year's spring oil change; filter change frequency depends upon mileage; new bikes follow nearly the same plan with emphasis with an extra oil change & filter change during engine break-in and shortly afterward...

I have a couple of bikes.

Suzuki DL650 and DR650 change 1/year (The Suzuki lately average 3500-4000 miles/year)

KTM EXC450 (single track machine) change oil every 25-30 hrs, so that is 3 oil changes/year (change oil filter every other time)

Ducati 900 SS change every 2000-2500 miles-2 oil changes year.

Originally Posted By: lego
I have a couple of bikes.

Suzuki DL650 and DR650 change 1/year (The Suzuki lately average 3500-4000 miles/year)

KTM EXC450 (single track machine) change oil every 25-30 hrs, so that is 3 oil changes/year (change oil filter every other time)

Ducati 900 SS change every 2000-2500 miles-2 oil changes year.

What oil(s)?

I've averaged about 4,000 KM / year on the bike so far. In that scenario a once a year change is fine.

This year I expect to put on 7-8k with the trips I have planned. I'll change the oil out right before the 5,000km trip in July.

When I was commuting on my NCX, and doing a little bit of touring besides, I changed sometimes at 5K and sometimes at 10K miles. UOA showed 10K was completely fine in all respects. The Honda interval is 8K anyway, and I normally used either L-E or Red Line. Now that I haven't put but maybe 50 miles on it in the past 9 - 12 months, I don't really know what I'll do with it.

I always changed mine once a year right before winter regardless of miles, though I rarely put more than 3K a year on my bike...

I feel this is personal to each person who does DIY maintenance on their machines; I have a few friends who ride infrequently and it might take 2-2 1\2 years for them to accumulate 2000 miles for them to 'justify' the cost of paying or doing the oil/filter changes...as much as I dislike going more than 12 months without an oil change I do not own their bikes and can't control their personal choices; on the other hand I am choosing to do 1k oil & filter every 3k on the scooter and doing 2k oil & filter every 4k on the motorcycle...I used to change oil & filter more often (mid spring, mid summer, late autumn) yet realize I am not utilizing alot of the oil's potential and filter's capacity; being a lighter riding season I might not even do 2 oil changes this year on each 2-wheeled death machine...

Knowing how some people don't take care of their cars, bikes , boats or trucks, how can you believe anyone when they tell you their vehicle was "well maintained" when it's up for sale?.,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back