Sun shade, which side faces out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks,

I am not trolling, a serious question.

I have a cheap $10 sunshade, both sides are silver in color but one side is flat like Aluminum foil and another side is creasy/wavy/not smooth and fluffy in the material. So which side should I face out?

I have tried both and I do not 'feel' the difference, so not too sure if there is any standard for this or put the way you like.

Many thanks

Can you post a pic? Aluminum side out, fluffy side inside...would be my guess without pic.

most shiny, reflective surface out. You're trying to reflect the sun rays out of your interior, the insides are going to get hot still regardless.

My son bought me a Star Wars sun shade. One side is dimpled and the other side is smooth(er) has an image with Luke, Obi-Wan, and so on. Only makes sense that the image side is out.

it probably doesnt matter if its cheap.

The reflectivity of dimpled vs smooth is inconsequential if they are both foil. The dimpled may be less of a hazard as it disperses the reflected light though.

On more expensive shades, he fluffier dimpled side goes out, because the dimples are due to a thin layer of foam insulation. (it is still foiled).
So it goes dimpled foil-> foam-> backing->smooth.

if both sides are shiny, I don't think it really matters. The most reflective side would probably be best, but I doubt anything significant .
Just having anything in the window will reduce the heat inside the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back