VW 508 Spec-0w20

We didnt need to get to 99 posts to resolve this. VW, whether honest or not, specifed an oil. The cost of an oil change, especially with extended OCI, is a minor price to pay so that VW has no recourse should a warranty claim arise. Alot of valuable bytes were expended to get to the obvious
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrandonT
Motul now has a 508/509 oil: https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/specific-508-00-509-00-0w20

VI = 179
smile.gif

HTHS = 2.5
frown.gif

How did they get VW approval on an oil that does not meet the requirements? Minimum HTHS is 2.6. I also see they are claiming ACEA A1/B1(no date) which would imply the current 2016 specification. The problem is that there is no A1/B1-16. A1/B1 was removed from the ACEA sequences with the 2016 specification.

It looks like Motul likes to play fast and loose with claimed specifications. This is not the first time I've seen their claimed specifications being at odds with their published data.

Ed

Originally Posted By: edhackett
I also see they are claiming ACEA A1/B1(no date) which would imply the current 2016 specification. The problem is that there is no A1/B1-16. A1/B1 was removed from the ACEA sequences with the 2016 specification.

It looks like Motul likes to play fast and loose with claimed specifications. This is not the first time I've seen their claimed specifications being at odds with their published data.

Ed

Claiming obsolete ACEA specs is permitted if there is no newer version. For example, you can’t claim A3/B4-12 because there’s a A3/B4-16, but because there’s no 2016 version of A1/B1, away you go. You must, however, claim the latest version there was and only if you had it before it was withdrawn - no new claims on old specs.

Here is Taiwan I am able to get an Mobil oil with 508 00/509 00 cert.:
Mobil1 ESPx2 0w-20, USD:10.5/1L

MSDS showed:
Not sure if my understanding is correct.. it's around 40% PAO? could anyone could help to confirm it?

508 00/509 00 certified.

Last edited:
It says 30-40% PAO. I’ve never seen that version of ESP sold here in the states.

You’re lucky to have a VW DI engine with supplemental port injection. I wish we had that engine option here in NA. Valve deposit issues should be non existent with this engine.

ESP type oils aren’t necessary in your application.

Originally Posted By: CleverUserName
It says 30-40% PAO. I’ve never seen that version of ESP sold here in the states.

You’re lucky to have a VW DI engine with supplemental port injection. I wish we had that engine option here in NA. Valve deposit issues should be non existent with this engine.

Thanks for the reply, it's an imported product. (made in EU-F: France). FYR the URL for Mobil 1™ ESP x2 0W-20

I just did some research and found it's 10-20% GTL, and also like you said: 30-40% PAO.

BTW, I do appreciate my Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 TSI is equipped with the engine EA888 Gen3b(DI and port injection)
smile.gif

Same as the 2018 New Tiguan (Available in NA)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aleneros

Thanks for the reply, it's an imported product. (made in EU-F: France). FYR the URL for Mobil 1™ ESP x2 0W-20

I just did some research and found it's 10-20% GTL, and also like you said: 30-40% PAO.

BTW, I do appreciate my Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 TSI is equipped with the engine EA888 Gen3b(DI and port injection)
smile.gif

I read somewhere that the gen3b would not be offered in NA markets. If it’s in the Tiguan that’s news to me...

Ravenol makes many different VW 502 and 505 oils in 0w30, 5w30, 5w40 and 0w40. Are their products available in your country? Many are mostly PAO based fully synthetic.

Originally Posted By: aleneros

smile.gif

I read somewhere that the gen3b would not be offered in NA markets. If it’s in the Tiguan that’s news to me...

Ravenol makes many different VW 502 and 505 oils in 0w30, 5w30, 5w40 and 0w40. Are their products available in your country? Many are mostly PAO based fully synthetic.

3B refers to 3rd generation (EA888) & B-cycle (B has in Budack, named after the engineer that modified the Miller cycle for VW & Audi)

It's on the Tiguan, as well as detuned versions for the Passat and Beetle

It's also on the Audi A4 Ultra.

Last edited:
Yep. It’s in my 18 Tiguan. Wish amsoil would recommend their ss 0w20 for my application. Sure it would work great but I’m not using it without their stamp of approval.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Yep. It’s in my 18 Tiguan. Wish amsoil would recommend their ss 0w20 for my application. Sure it would work great but I’m not using it without their stamp of approval.

Nah, I asked the same question before (to use their SS 0w-20 oil) and got their(Amsoil) response previously as below FYI.

Selbrede, Byron
5月16日 週三 下午10:10
寄給 我

David;

It appears you want to use 0W20 Signature Series Oil in this vehicle. The Signature Series Oils do not meet VW 502.00 or 508.00 specifications, therefore are not recommended. We do not offer a 5W20 meeting either of these VW specifications. AMSOIL oils meeting 502.00 include product codes AFL,EFM, and EFO. We do not yet offer an oil meeting VW 508.00.

Thank you for contacting us. If you have further comments or concerns, please contact us again.

Byron Selbrede

Technical Services

AMSOIL INC.

ADDRESS: 1 AMSOIL Center, Superior, WI 54880

E-MAIL: [email protected]

PHONE: 715-392-7101

FAX: 715-399-6531

BTW, I guess 2018 New Tiguan user manual shall mention VW 502 00/ 508 00
smile.gif

My SKoda Kodiaq 2.0 TSI uses the same EA888 Gen3b. and the user manual says as below:

Last edited:
Same reply I got from amsoil. Hurry up with our oil already. Lol

My Tiguan manual basically tells you if you don’t use a 508 oil you’ll die. I’m sure they are fine oils, but I’d prefer to at least use a 504/507 0w30. Vw tells me in the manual I can only do that to top off. Weird....every other 2.0t uses a 30 or 40.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Same reply I got from amsoil. Hurry up with our oil already. Lol

My Tiguan manual basically tells you if you don’t use a 508 oil you’ll die. I’m sure they are fine oils, but I’d prefer to at least use a 504/507 0w30. Vw tells me in the manual I can only do that to top off. Weird....every other 2.0t uses a 30 or 40.

That's because every other 2.0t wasn't designed to get as much fuel economy as possible.

Back