3. Aston Martin Red Bull Racing, 164
4. Renault Sport F1, 62
5. McLaren Renault, 40
6. Force India, 28
7. Haas, 27
8. Toro Rosso, 19
9. Alfa Romeo Sauber, 13
10. Williams Martini Racing, 4

For more, including track data, analysis, and video please check out my full post on TOV Motorsports.

5a1bf08df3233974bace4e29305140a5.jpg

Hoping for a good race this weekend. The back and forth in the standings between Vettle and Hamilton has been nice to see but most of the races themselves have been fairly drama free and anticlimactic. I do like Ferrari coming on strong though and seriously challenging AMG this season.

I know, I was being a wiseacre. I'm thrilled at the result. Haas, nearly outqualifying Red Bull. That's progress right there. Bring 'em on!

On to the race

Larry

This was actually a very entertaining F1 race. Passing, tires blistering, mechanicals, bad strategy by Big M. Good driving by several drivers with no knucklehead wrecks. Very good. ‘Bout time.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Perhaps they should let Firestone design F-1 tires. The temp goes up 20 degrees and the chewing gum Pirelli's turn into blister packs.

Didn't Firestone tyres explode any time thy got near a Ford Explorer?

In any case, tyre management went a considerable way to making the race interetsting, and *you* (of all people) are suggesting taking that element away?

I wanted to see Raikkonen take that one. Not as exciting as the MotoGP mind you.

Perhaps they should let Firestone design F-1 tires. The temp goes up 20 degrees and the chewing gum Pirelli's turn into blister packs.

The Firestones were blistering at Texas. Bridgestone doesn't need to spend $100M/year on F1 anyway. It's doing fine.

Michelin will only do it if there's competition, and new tires to push technology forward.

In many ways, a compliant Pirelli is perfect for F1.

Originally Posted By: Brad_C
In any case, tyre management went a considerable way to making the race interetsting, and *you* (of all people) are suggesting taking that element away?

It had nothing to do with "management". It was luck.

Originally Posted By: Brad_C

Didn't Firestone tyres explode any time thy got near a Ford Explorer?

Haha, you must work for Ford if that’s how you remember it. Please allow me to state the facts for the record.

Ford had a design flaw in their rear suspension. This was exacerbated by their INSISTENCE for the lowest cost OE tire possible. Then Ford, (not Bridgestone/Firestone) insisted on a recommended air pressure of 26 psi to “soften” the ride. So, when knucklehead owners who never checked their tire pressures drove their overloaded vehicles across Texas on 100F+ pavement at 100 mph with
And what this has to do with racing in 2018 baffles me. What I do remember is the F1 race I attending at Indianapolis where, during practice, a left front Michelin on Ralf Schumacher’s car popped under full throttle in Turn One of the oval sending him careening into the concrete wall and on to the hospital, resulting in Michelin withdrawing from the race leaving only the six Bridgestone (Firestone) runners to contest the “race”. An unapologetic Bernie took the money and ran resulting in the end of F1 at the Speedway.

There is plenty of evidence out there that Bridgestone/Firestone makes the safest racing and street tires in the industry.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
And what this has to do with racing in 2018 baffles me. What I do remember is the F1 race I attending at Indianapolis where, during practice, a left front Michelin on Ralf Schumacher’s car popped under full throttle in Turn One of the oval sending him careening into the concrete wall and on to the hospital, resulting in Michelin withdrawing from the race leaving only the six Bridgestone (Firestone) runners to contest the “race”. An unapologetic Bernie took the money and ran resulting in the end of F1 at the Speedway.

There is plenty of evidence out there that Bridgestone/Firestone makes the safest racing and street tires in the industry.

I remember that race well. Ralf Schumacher severely injured his back. He was lucky he didn't get killed. He sat exposed in that car for over a minute before anyone got to him. An Indy 500 Safety Crew would have been there in seconds. Bernie was forced to exit the speedway under guard before people mobbed him for that entire fiasco he and Michelin created. The tires Michelin provided for that race were a total joke. The only thing worse was the way they, (and Bernie), handled the entire mess they themselves created.

I remember that race well. Ralf Schumacher severely injured his back. He was lucky he didn't get killed. He sat exposed in that car for over a minute before anyone got to him. An Indy 500 Safety Crew would have been there in seconds. Bernie was forced to exit the speedway under guard before people mobbed him for that entire fiasco he and Michelin created. The tires Michelin provided for that race were a total joke. The only thing worse was the way they, (and Bernie), handled the entire mess they themselves created.

Good details.

The little known secret to Bridgestone’s success at that race (there was no tire test, hence Michelin’s failure) was the fact that they owned Firestone who supplies all the IndyCar tires and has mountains of data on going through Indy’s oval corners and diamond ground pavement at 200 mph+. The diamond grind leaves tiny grooves in the pavement that act like cheese graters on soft tires. You don’t suppose Bridgestone kept that info to themselves, do you?

Last edited:
If you watch a video of that crash, Ralf backed into the wall at an angle. Which was lucky for him. If he had hit on a direct side impact like Scott Brayton did, he would have died.

Haha, you must work for Ford if that’s how you remember it. Please allow me to state the facts for the record. ……

I'm a little late to the party, but I couldn't let this post pass.

I'm sorry, Indydriver, but your facts aren't facts. Here's the long version: Barry's Tire Tech: The Ford / Firestone Controversy

Short version: The tires were recalled, not the vehicle. None of the other tires on the vehicle were recalled. That's because the tires coming out of Firestone's Decautur plant had failure rates way higher, plus there was an assignable cause.

While Ford's low tire pressure spec didn't help things, it wasn't what caused the tire to separate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
While Ford's low tire pressure spec didn't help things, it wasn't what caused the tire to separate.

That is nonsense. Run ANY tire under inflated on hot pavement, and at high speeds and they will come apart. And most likely cause an accident in the process. I don't care who makes them, or what vehicle they put them on. Ford calling for 26 PSI tire pressure on a heavy, high center of gravity SUV was nothing short of stupid, and was asking for a disaster. They got it. They should have known better. And 26 PSI IS under inflated.

The Pirelli tires are performing how F1 specified they should. When you're designing in degradation and a certain performance level for a certain range of expected track temperatures and choose on the basis of that for the track in question, this is to be totally expected.

It's not impossible to design a race tire that will last an entire race, albeit without the same peak performance. However, that's not what the contract specifies, nor the rules of the sport.

Pirelli has made a couple gaffs here and there, but we can't give them much criticism for designing tires to the specification in question.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

That is nonsense. Run ANY tire under inflated on hot pavement, and at high speeds and they will come apart. And most likely cause an accident in the process. I don't care who makes them, or what vehicle they put them on. Ford calling for 26 PSI tire pressure on a heavy, high center of gravity SUV was nothing short of stupid, and was asking for a disaster. They got it. They should have known better. And 26 PSI IS under inflated.

Sorry, but a 91% loaded tire is NOT underinflated. Calculation here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back