Cleaning Instrument Cluster Plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
What are the appropriate materials and chemicals to clean haze/dust/grime off of the clear plastic covers that are in front of instrument clusters and screens?

Minimizing micro scratching is key. Of course, protecting against chemical damage is important too.

I assume its fairly soft plexiglass type stuff?

Thanks!

I’ve used a plastic specific polish many times and it works great. They usually include something like “restores optical clarity” on the label. Just with a standard terry hand polishing pad.

Last edited:
This works great:
Specially made for tech screens. Also you can clean your dash with it and when it gets on the windshield no problem because it cleans glass also.
Trust me this stuff works very well.

Combines glass and interior cleaning in one easy step
New polymer technology encapsulates dirt and grime for an effective clean on glass, plastic and vinyl
Provides UVA/UVB protection
Neutralizes odors on contact

Turtle Wax T-930 Dash and Glass Protectant
https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-Protec...&dpSrc=srch

Originally Posted By: E365
I’ve used a plastic specific polish many times and it works great. They usually include something like “restores optical clarity” on the label. Just with a standard terry hand polishing pad.

I don't need to polish. Certainly dont want solids in the product. It's just surface residue, fingerprints, dust, etc.

I've been using Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer. Dries clear with no streaks. Lightly spray on a clean MF towel then wipe with light pressure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: onemig
I've been using Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer. Dries clear with no streaks. Lightly spray on a clean MF towel then wipe with light pressure.

I do the same. Have been doing this for years. This is probably the best option.

Their Quik Interior Detailer will not cause crazing on clear plastics and it provides enough lubricity to a microfiber towel to avoid making any scratches. Clear plastics are notorious for scratching if you so much as look at them.

I have yet to find anything safer or better than Meguiar's QID on a microfiber.

Originally Posted By: FastEddie
1Z cockpit premuim is my personal choice...but using caution and premium towels is just as important.

This is an excellent product.

1Z cockpit premuim is my personal choice...but using caution and premium towels is just as important.

I don't like the smell of it.

I barely tolerate the smell of Chemical Guys Inner Clean.

I agree with the towels. I use a good microfiber to wipe down my interior including instrument cluster screen and nav screen

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

I don't like the smell of it.

I barely tolerate the smell of Chemical Guys Inner Clean.

I agree with the towels. I use a good microfiber to wipe down my interior including instrument cluster screen and nav screen

The smell can be harsh. Definitely have the doors open.

I spray all my interior detailers directly onto the microfiber towel and then wipe down. For most products, using too much leads to streaks or uneven looking detailing plus the overspray gets into places you don’t want like the HUD projector screen etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back