Can Marvel Mystery Oil be used reliability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Gentlemen, AT first. Thank you for all your comments and advises. I think its better to make a summary.

I lost a bizar amount of money in a year with a 100k km AMG 6.2 Mercedes. (Double that with the depreciation after one year and I really intended to keep that car forever) After this distaster I decided to find myself the best car in the world and now I got it I am trying to make it better and making all sorts of plans. (Rims, maintenance etc)

I think the first reply of Trav hits the spot. I am really careful with everything and I,m extreme in detailing and making everything perfect. (Ill post some pics later when I have my Mac back)

@ Ffdcg27 I have an 2004 old model GS300 Executive as well but I gave that to my mum because she deserves a safe car.

@Charley, Yes thats how I am going to do it.

I always use Mobil1 and Nothing else. (My old AMG drank 10 liters of 0w40!!!!!!!) Only the most expensive green one as well and I am buying it directly from the main importer over here. Why Mobil? I heard you guys talking about it years ago and thats why I am totally convinced.

I still have a big jerrycan of 0w40 from the AMG era and 5w30 for the GS 2JZ and I,m really feeling to open a new topic with the question what I should use for the new LS430 3UZ-FE v8.

The LS had his oil changes every 15 to 20k km (more 20 then 15).

And the title of the topic should have been Reliable.... No no I wasn't smoking or anything haha

Last point. You guys are talking about some fuel treatment to clean the injectors. Can you advice a type or a brand which is the very best? I used Forte many times in the past but now It has been sold to Wynns (I heard that from one of the previous owners or stockholders... don't really remember) the formula is WAY more weak and now you need 2 bottles to have the same result as before with 1 bottle.

Thanks again for all your reply's.
Much appreciated.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GSLex
Last point. You guys are talking about some fuel treatment to clean the injectors. Can you advice a type or a brand which is the very best? I used Forte many times in the past but now It has been sold to Wynns (I heard that from one of the previous owners or stockholders... don't really remember) the formula is WAY more weak and now you need 2 bottles to have the same result as before with 1 bottle.

Thanks again for all your reply's.
Much appreciated.

Look for Techron and try to get the fuel system cleaner version not the fuel injector version. If you are able to review actual ingredients of any product, you want it to contain 30% or more of polyetheramine.

If you can only find the fuel injector version, you'll need to use about 6 of them in one go.

For the oil, I would use the M1 0w40. But interested to know which 5w30 you have and what approvals it has.

From experience, all you need really is good oil and filter. Those Toyota V8s are good, strong engines and they are easy on their oil(as long as its changed regularly). A bottle of a good PEA-based injector cleaner wouldn't hurt - Techron and Gumout isn't in Europe - maybe Lubro Moly Jectron or if you can find BASF's Keropur bottled up for sale somewhere.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
What should be telling is that no manufacturer recommends it.
they probably don't because then that might imply that their engines are going to need an additive when the miles rack up.

Originally Posted By: jakewells
MMO cured my lifter knock in my 2.9 v6 ford ranger a few years back so it isn't snake oil.

Right. It's actually mint oil. Makes a great mouthwash or aftershave. Did I already use that joke?
wink.gif

Hey, I use it in my stinky old truck. It really freshens it up.

MMO used as directed on the label will do no harm to an engine or a cat. If your vehicle doesn't respond to MMO, it probably is a good sign. It was designed for sticky lifters and gunked up carbs, to help out an older engine. The smell reminds me of the goo we rubbed on our legs in cross country or hoss liniment.
grin2.gif

I would do whatever the major ~60K service interval requires. Timing belts (if any) water pump, all fluids (especially transmission/differential), grease chassis, etc. It's what I do on used cars I buy - should be all you'd need to do. How are tires, brakes, battery, etc.? Do all that stuff, throw techron in a couple tanks of gas and if it's running perfect and idling smoothly, call it day.

Keeping up with the service intervals and oil/filter changes is whats going to make it last as long as possible - not some snake oil.

I tried this snake oil for a 24hrs piston soak. Will see in a few months if it does anything.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
What should be telling is that no manufacturer recommends it.
they probably don't because then that might imply that their engines are going to need an additive when the miles rack up.

Do I need one? I haven’t used any except once I used a bottle of fuel system cleaner in the BMW when it had a rough idle. That turned out to be a pushed-back pin in a fuel injector connector.

What do I need with my high mileage engines?

MMO is only 5$ a qt around here. Used as directed it won't damage anything. Closest thing to a blind test happened when I filled my wife's 528e and gave it a dose. A couple of days later, she asked where the last tank of gas came from, because she noticed more pep. As I said before; If you don't notice a difference, don't use it.Use the rest to oil hinges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back