Anti-Wear ingredients in Motor Oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have or know of a list of various oils and the amount of zinc (ZDDP) and other anti-wear ingredients? They seem to change formulas like old socks. Also, what does the standard, i.e. CK-4, mean to the average Joe? are certain ingredients in certain volume required? It seems like buying oil is like buying a mattress!

welcome2.gif

PQIA Lot of voa's click here

Wow, a newb. You're right about buying motor oils being like buying a mattress. There are so many variations out there, you can find an oil to help out on any engine issue you're concerned about. There are a lot of Product Data Sheets (or Technical Data Sheets) on oil maker websites, so when you go to a page with the marketing blurb about an oil, click on the PDS link. Mobil has a good data sheet on their website summarizing the zddp content of their synthetic oils. Some makers data sheets are better than others, Castrol's being famously bad (at least on BITOG) for only showing that their oils meet the minimum specs.

Spend some hours reading on BITOG. Read Motor Oil 101 on the homepage. Look at the Virgin Oil Analysis page.

You cannot see all the components in an engine oil by looking at a VOA or UOA.
The best engine oils will contain a high performance antiwear polymer not seen in a VOA or UOA.
That additive is usually used only when necessary as it is expensive. Modern ashless two-stroke oil
contain it. Low and mid saps Euro oils contain it, too as does Quaker State Ultimate Durability
Full Synthetic in some grades.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

I'd like MolaKule to do some insight on the additive I brought up.

What is the name of this component?

There's a longer one we had recently... As well.

I'm very, very glad to see you on here MolaKule. You are a landmark member on here who really helps a lot of people, educates a lot of people and helps make this a very informative and great place.

Yea! MolaKule is back! plus what he said
Originally Posted By: bbhero
...(snip)...

I'm very, very glad to see you on here MolaKule. You are a landmark member on here who really helps a lot of people, educates a lot of people and helps make this a very informative and great place.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Yes, Snoopy was doing his happy dance in my mind when I saw he had returned.

happy2.gif
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: Patman

happy2.gif
banana2.gif

+1
cheers3.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: HeyR
Does anyone have or know of a list of various oils and the amount of zinc (ZDDP) and other anti-wear ingredients
The amount of zinc in various Mobil1 oils is listed at: https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf
Although, as others have said above, its almost irrelevant to us how much ZDDP they choose to use, since other AW additives like high-moly, polymer esters, titanium, etc. all contribute to AW benefits.

Originally Posted By: HeyR
Also, what does the standard, i.e. CK-4, mean to the average Joe? are certain ingredients in certain volume required?
Any standard, such as CK-4 or SN and/or GF-5... etc., will be listed in your Owner's Manual as the spec to shop for. To the average Joe, "CK-4" here goes on your shopping list, along with a viscosity level, such as 5w40, for example. Its about as simple as that. Just use the right oil, and the right oil is described by spec numbers/letters to look for. Owner's Manual, or you can use the website tool https://mobiloil.com/en/product-selector to look up what oil Mobil has matched up to your vehicle. Castrol & Pennzoil have similar oil look-up tools too.

You asked, are certain ingredients in certain volumes required? Sometimes, for each unique spec, like CK-4, there are minimum or maximum levels of certain things as part of the spec law. Its an involved subject to find out "why". Just let the spec do the work for you, as engineers are behind it. All you need to know is CK-4, or sometimes SN GF-5, or dexos1 Gen2, along with the viscosity rating, like 5w30 or something else.

GOLLLLLLLY, thanks everyone for the responses. Think I can make an informed decision now. I was looking for an oil for my old flat-tappet chevy engines. Need lots of phosphorus and zinc.
Thanks again!
Advice always appreciated.

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Originally Posted By: Patman

happy2.gif
banana2.gif

+1
cheers3.gif
thumbsup2.gif

That sound we're hearing is a collective sigh of relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back