Additive Component Chemistry VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
This is an exercise in which you can interrogate the Internet to try and determine the Application for the Formula Below:

10% - Polymer Ester – 15 cSt Anti-Wear, Anti-Scuff, Cleaning
26% - DiTriDecyl Adipate Ester 5 cSt – Friction Modifier
49% - Polyisobutylene – clean burning thickener
23% - Deodorized Kerosene
1.0% - Methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT)
Combustion Enhancer

Please Note: This question is only OPEN to Members of BITOG who are NOT Engineers, Tribologists, Chemists, or Formulators.

Good Luck!

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Mola, open for a mechanical engineer to take a stab at it?

Sorry flyNavyP3, not open to any Engineering discipline.

Here is a hint:

It does lubricate the complete cylinder and adjacent rotating components, but it is not just an upper cylinder lubricant.

The resulting mix has a kinematic viscosity of about 14 cSt@100C.

This sounds suspiciously like Bardahl Instead O Lead Gold, the best octane booster lead substitute I ever used. Seems to be unobtainable now.

Rod

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Mola, what about a physicist who works in analytical inorganic chemistry ?

Originally Posted By: wwillson
2-cycle oil?

That's what I'm thinking, and Bitoger's would use it as a UCL in a 4 stroke engine too.

Please Note: This question is only OPEN to Members of BITOG who are NOT Engineers, Tribologists, Chemists, or Formulators.

What if I happen to have an engineering degree and work in the tribology field as a chemist doing lubricant formulations? Am I ok to respond?
happy2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist

What if I happen to have an engineering degree and work in the tribology field as a chemist doing lubricant formulations? Am I ok to respond?
happy2.gif

Sorry, no, because we want to give other people time to absorb the material and search the internet and then come up with a possible answer.

Originally Posted By: SR5

Mola, what about a physicist who works in analytical inorganic chemistry ?

Well that what I am :cool, and would disqualify me from answering as well so sorry, no.

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist

happy2.gif

Sorry man
frown.gif
, you are disqualified to respond.

Thanks to all who replied.

It is indeed one possible formula for a 2-cycle or a "pass-through lubrication" system.

There were four correct answers with Mr. W. Wilson giving the first correct answer, so he can present himself with the BITOG virtual Coffee Mug with Gold Leaf Lettering.
smile.gif

I typo-ed the percentage of polyisobutylene thickener which should have been 40%, otherwise, that would give a formula having 109% of ingredients.
shocked2.gif
But what is a few percentages among friends???
confused2.gif

This a clean burning, very low deposit formula because it has only one metallic component and that is the MMT, which is both a combustion enhancer and raises the octane rating of the final mixture.

This formula is good for 50:1 to 100:1 fuel to additive ratios.

To Show variations in formulae, here is another excellent preforming but expensive mix:

(4.5%) - polyisobutenyl succinimide dispersant DSP 220

(6.5%) - Oronite Oloa 9362

(32%) - PAO 22 CP

(27%) = PAO 7 CP

(2.4%) - n-Butyl Acetate

(28%) - Polyol Ester 12 cSt

As a second question, would any qualified responder care to guess as to the reason for the n-Butyl Acetate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back