Double checking which type of grease to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I found I should be ok but wanted to double check with you guys just to be sure. The owners manual for my mower calls for #2
multi-purpose, lithium-base grease. When I was at TSC they had two different 3 packs of 3oz tubes, one said it was NLGI #1.5 and NLGI #2 so I picked up the #2. I got it home and noticed it didn't say lithium based on it anywhere so I went online and it says it's a Calcium Sulfonate, it doesn't say that on the tubes or packaging it just says marine and off road NGLI #2 grease.

From what I've read they are compatible so if the factory put in lithium and I start pumping in the calcium sulfonate it shouldn't hurt anything. To me from what I've read it's just a #2 grease on steroids.

Last edited by a moderator:
It won’t be a comparability issue, calcium sulfate grease is typically heavier duty in terms of temperature and water resistance.

Calcium Sulfonate is compatible with Lithium Complex. So you can mix them without issue.

The NGLI numbers are how thick it is. The higher the number the ticker it is. So #2 should be fine in this case.

So run what you bought without worry.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
I like Green Grease for my sidebyside and mower since they get washed and see alot of water.

Same here, I'm pretty anal about spraying the underside of the deck every time I mow.

Looks like I screwed up for the better for once!

Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back