Website redirects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I occasionally get a redirect, generally on ad heavy forums. Smith and Wesson forum is the worst, autopia and a few other automotive forums also cause it occasionally.

Never on BITOG.

It's always about fifty site refreshes in history, and then some ad site.

Is there a way to stop these redirects?

It happens very seldom, and it's only from certain forum type sites.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Any decent ad- or script-blocker would mitigate these. The trick is finding one and setting it up in a way that blocks what you don't want but allows the functions and aesthetics prescribed by a site that you do want. I use uBlock Origin as a browser add-on and it works just fine for me.

Could you imagine the ad chaos without an Ad Blocker on this particular website - it's associated with MSN.com.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Always exit , your computer is NOT infected unless you click on what they want you too.

Yep … clicking the unknown is bad business … that’s why companies do mock phishing to keep people tuned in when the crooks dream up new angles to hack in

JHZR2

I just found out yesterday that all my recent webpage stalling/freezing - my redirects - my internet disconnects - my popups to microsoft and bing websites - my Microsoft Edge browser startups that I never clicked on-to (I run Firefox)...... appear to being caused by my purchased Avast Pro antivirus software programming that I installed a couple months ago. All this stuff I listed above has been slowly appearing.... one-by-one over time.

I uninstalled it (but saved the product key)..... and my computer is back to it's normal-self running the new version Windows Defender (for now anyways). If you uninstall any of yours,. be sure to check your Download files also..... for many old antivirus products have leftover files there buried.

So on-top of the suggestions here, be leery of any paid-for antivirus program that you currently have, or are interested in for the future. It seems all these new-age antivirus software are loaded with so much toilet waste (too many optional features), that it can cause havoc in various arenas of our computers.

Lastly,. there have been so many bumps and bruises associated with all these Window 10 updates. All these updates disrupt our computer programs / apps.... even upon deletion by Microsoft. I'm getting fed up with Mr. Bill Gates and may never buy another Windows system again.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
JHZR2

I just found out yesterday that all my recent webpage stalling/freezing - my redirects - my internet disconnects - my popups to microsoft and bing websites - my Microsoft Edge browser startups that I never clicked on-to (I run Firefox)...... appear to being caused by my purchased Avast Pro antivirus software programming that I installed a couple months ago. All this stuff I listed above has been slowly appearing.... one-by-one over time.

I uninstalled it (but saved the product key)..... and my computer is back to it's normal-self running the new version Windows Defender (for now anyways). If you uninstall any of yours,. be sure to check your Download files also..... for many old antivirus products have leftover files there buried.

So on-top of the suggestions here, be leery of any paid-for antivirus program that you currently have, or are interested in for the future. It seems all these new-age antivirus software are loaded with so much toilet waste (too many optional features), that it can cause havoc in various arenas of our computers.

Lastly,. there have been so many bumps and bruises associated with all these Window 10 updates. All these updates disrupt our computer programs / apps.... even upon deletion by Microsoft. I'm getting fed up with Mr. Bill Gates and may never buy another Windows system again.

Interesting. I'm not running any third party stuff like that on my Mac. And I don't think it actually has happened on any of my computers.

I did download and enable purify for my iPad. Didn't help. Autogeekonline still throws a filestore72 popup about 40% of the time.

It must be related to ad serving for specific web forums. It seems to be on autopia, autogeek (forum not the store), and smith and Wesson forum.

It seems to only be on iOS, but different devices with different OS/browser versions.

Spoke too soon. On my computer (Mac running latest Firefox browser, and ABP), our ISP blocked the redirect.

This was going to the Autogeekonline forum site...

What antivirus and anti-malware programs are you running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back