Traveller nlgi 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody used tsc traveller premium heavy duty nlgi #2? It will be going in suspension components on various things. Any recommendations of a good red grease less than 10 bucks a tube?

TSC usually has Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp right next to the Traveller for just a little more. Solid specs across the board for a gc-lb grease and the prettiest red color of all, like candy.

Last edited:
I haven't used TSC's grease but if it's rated GC-LB then it's worth a try. I've been using Walmart's Supertech Multi-duty Complex grease on my Freightliner for the last few months and I'm very happy with it. It's not exactly cheap ($3.64/tube ?) but it's working well in an application where it takes a beating. It's a lithium complex, extreme pressure, GC-LB grade grease.

I've used several lithium complex greases over the last few decades and I never have failures on my heavy trucks. I just get under the truck weekly and grease/inspect everything, and all is well. The front suspension takes lots of abuse and the brake slack adusters/S-cams get down right toasty, yet everything holds up without any special greases.

I know there are applications for special greases, but for a vehicle chassis, a GC-LB is great. If the Traveller brand is rated as such, grab it up and use it.

Originally Posted By: Spitter
Has anybody used tsc traveller premium heavy duty nlgi #2? It will be going in suspension components on various things. Any recommendations of a good red grease less than 10 bucks a tube?

I used it a couple years ago. didnt like it. just didnt hold up as well as i wanted. under 10 a tube... that should get you TRC, Schaffers, LE... any of the higher end greases

Originally Posted By: Jddan

I used it a couple years ago. didnt like it. just didnt hold up as well as i wanted. under 10 a tube... that should get you TRC, Schaffers, LE... any of the higher end greases

Jddan, please remind me which one of the TRC (Texas Refinery Corp for the OP's info) greases you use. What is the base (soap) of that grease?

I know you maintain very expensive machinery that may benefit from the high end grease, or at least make less work for you. I'm still not sure that the grease that you use would benefit me, but I suppose I'm curious about it.
smile.gif
Thanks.

Originally Posted By: stoan
TSC usually has Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp right next to the Traveller for just a little more. Solid specs across the board for a gc-lb grease and the prettiest red color of all, like candy.

Ended up with mystik high temp #2 from tsc havent used any yet but reviews seemed great.

Excellent choice. I used the JT-6 for a couple of years and it's a really good grease. The Supertech grease I'm using now seems 100% the same as JT-6 in how it performs in my application. I can't say that the technical specifications match, but in practice I can't tell the difference. I don't see JT-6 in my TSC store anymore.

Originally Posted By: dustyroads

Ended up with mystik high temp #2 from tsc havent used any yet but reviews seemed great.

Excellent choice. I used the JT-6 for a couple of years and it's a really good grease. The Supertech grease I'm using now seems 100% the same as JT-6 in how it performs in my application. I can't say that the technical specifications match, but in practice I can't tell the difference. I don't see JT-6 in my TSC store anymore.

I agree, Supertech Multi-Duty Complex is decent stuff, better than the Lucas grease beside it on the shelf. I usually grab a few tubes of Mystik when I'm in Rural King, I think it's like 2.79 a tube, and to me that's about the best deal on grease as far as price vs quality. Last week I was at a truck stop that had Mobil Delvac Xtreme for 2.99, never used it before but figured I'd give it a try at that price.

Last edited:
When I first started using Mystik JT-6, it was easily the best grease I had ever used in my application (heavy truck chassis). I only stopped using it when it disappeared from my Walmart and TSC store shelves.

I went back to Shell (Gadus, formerly Retinax), then tried a couple Valvoline greases. I ended up using Delvac Xtreme for most of the last couple of years. It's not GC-LB (I don't believe, anyway) but Mobil promotes it as a great grease for my needs and I guess I trust them to formulate it right. If I quit the SuperTech stuff, I will probably go back to the Delvac. It's inexpensive at all TA/Petro truck stops.

Kind of surprising Delvac Xtreme is not gc/lb, I can't find anything that says it is either. When I try a new grease I like to put a blob in the freezer overnight and see how much it stiffens in the cold. Some greases become almost solid, where you really can't stir them at all. Delvac Xtreme grease was not that bad but it stiffened up enough that it was not easily stirred. Mystik was much better, stiffening a little, but easy to stir around. Supertech Multi-Duty EP was better still, retaining almost the same consistency as room temperature.

Jddan, please remind me which one of the TRC (Texas Refinery Corp for the OP's info) greases you use. What is the base (soap) of that grease?

I know you maintain very expensive machinery that may benefit from the high end grease, or at least make less work for you. I'm still not sure that the grease that you use would benefit me, but I suppose I'm curious about it.
smile.gif
Thanks.

Dusty, I use trc 880 crown and chassis. I plan to get some of their paragon 3000 soon but have not yet. As far as th OP original requirement of less than $10 per tube- it is under 7 per tube. The paragon im sure will be under 10 but not under 7 like the crown and chassis. as far as your mention of price of equipment, Dusty, I use it in my $400 pickup truck and my cheap mower as well as the combine and tractors and backhoe and dozer. I HATE breakdowns no matter if on a lawnmower that really does not matter if its working on time or not. its still broken and still has to be fixed. Hope this helps

Kind of surprising Delvac Xtreme is not gc/lb, I can't find anything that says it is either. When I try a new grease I like to put a blob in the freezer overnight and see how much it stiffens in the cold. Some greases become almost solid, where you really can't stir them at all. Delvac Xtreme grease was not that bad but it stiffened up enough that it was not easily stirred. Mystik was much better, stiffening a little, but easy to stir around. Supertech Multi-Duty EP was better still, retaining almost the same consistency as room temperature.

That's interesting, thanks for the tidbits. I've never experimented like that. Mystik JT-6 has an 80lb Timken OK load test rating and the SuperTech Multi-Duty is 55lb (minimum). As I said, I'm very happy with the ST grease, even if it doesn't match up as well on paper.

I'm not sure if Mobil lists the Delvac Xtreme (Timken OK load test) or not, but I don't recall seeing it. I guess if it's not tested and certified to ASTM's GC-LB, I presume that they aren't going to give us a Timken test result. I'm still not afraid to use Xtreme, as it's been used in trucking for a long time now.

smile.gif
Thanks.

Dusty, I use trc 880 crown and chassis. I plan to get some of their paragon 3000 soon but have not yet. As far as th OP original requirement of less than $10 per tube- it is under 7 per tube. The paragon im sure will be under 10 but not under 7 like the crown and chassis. as far as your mention of price of equipment, Dusty, I use it in my $400 pickup truck and my cheap mower as well as the combine and tractors and backhoe and dozer. I HATE breakdowns no matter if on a lawnmower that really does not matter if its working on time or not. its still broken and still has to be fixed. Hope this helps

Thanks Jddan. I downloaded the PDF for the 880 and I saw that the Timken OK load test is minimum 100lbs which is nearly double the SuperTech Multi-Duty's 55lb minimum. Unfortunately, they don't list the thickener. While there could still be some incompatibility, I try to stay with a lithium complex thickener so I can switch with as little risk as possible.

If I switched to a TRC or other super-duper grease, maybe I could double or triple my greasing intervals and the cost would be similar in the long run, so I don't have a cost concern. I'm with you on avoiding any breakdowns regardless of what the machine is or what it costs. But (knock on wood), I've never had to replace anything that is greased on any of my trucks, using off the shelf (GC-LB) greases every few thousand miles (weekly).

The thing is, I think I'd go nuts if I tried getting under the truck without the grease-gun in hand.
grin.gif

I trust your judgement based on your experience with these different greases and glad you are passing along your findings. I'm probably not going to change my ways, but I'm interested in what works best for your machinery.

dusty, TRC 880 grease is made with a calcium 12 hydroxystearate thickener. It is compatible with lithium complex greases.

Most people see a reduction in grease consumption after switching to a premium grease, but it depends on your application, etc.

Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy
dusty, TRC 880 grease is made with a calcium 12 hydroxystearate thickener. It is compatible with lithium complex greases.

Most people see a reduction in grease consumption after switching to a premium grease, but it depends on your application, etc.

Funny you say that- most people. just saw a guy lubricating the driveway. grease running out of king pin and still pumping...

Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy

Thanks very much! I will reconsider and possibly give it a try. The reduced consumption is the reason that the price per tube doesn't bother me.

I figured it would pay for itself by not having to use as much. I enjoy the feel of the steering and cushioning effect that a fresh greasing provides. But if a high end grease provides that comfort for two or three times as long, then the higher upfront cost is easily redeemed.

Thanks again Jddan and Rob_Roy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back