Is 10w30 instead of 5w30 ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. I am considering running a 10w30 oil in replace of my usual 5w30 oil during my next OCI to reduce burning. Would a slightly thicker help reduce burning? Should I try a high mileage 5w30 first? How about high mileage 10w30? This is for my 2004 toyota highlander with around 200k miles. Thanks so much for the help.

You'd probably be better off going with a good quality 10W- or 15W-40. In Georgia, in summer, 5w-30 is going to be the same thickness as a 5w-30, everything else being equal. the 5w vs 10w is really only going to matter when it gets cold.

going 5W-30 to 5W-40 would make a difference though.

I've been running 10W40 HM instead of 5W30 in my Rav4 for the past couple years. Year round in NJ. I think it helps a little.

10w30 in GA will be just fine year round. I would however try a 5w30 HM instead of the 10w.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
10w30 in GA will be just fine year round. I would however try a 5w30 HM instead of the 10w.

If it were me I'd try this. You will stick to the weight Toyota recommends as well as get an oil specifically made to address your engines concerns. Dunno why people r throwing out all kinds of diff weights out for u to try.

I have now officially been running 10w30 in my car spec'd for 0w20. Been about 1k miles and nothing has imploded yet, but its hot here in South texas.

are you already trying a 5w30 HM oil? I would just try something like Castrol HM or Maxlife for a couple oil changes and then go up from there. A 10w30 may help if your oil burning is when you first start the motor. The HM oil may help all the way around. An Xw40 may be where you need to head. But to start with, I would just try a 5w30 HM.

in your area a 10-30 is better, but a 15-40 would prolly be better yet + rotella T is CHEAP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back