AC/Delco light duty diesel oil 0w-20

Looks like you can get the new AC/Delco 0w-20 diesel oil that is recommended for the new 3.0 Duramax diesel engine coming out in the 2019 Silverado and Sierra in Jan 2019.

ACDelco 0W20 dexosD Light Duty Diesel Engine Oil
To Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac U.S. Dealers:
0W20 Light Duty Diesel Engine Oil dexosD is the recommended engine oil for the 2019 3.0L LM2 Duramax Engine on the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra.
The product is currently available for ordering from the GM Oil Distributor, and the details are as follows:
Product Description
Package Size
Part Number
XOM Material Number
Dealer Price
ACDelco 0W20 dexosD Light Duty Diesel Engine Oil
Quart (6 X 1)
$4.31

Do you think that there will be a viscosity/approval change down the road?

Like how the Ram EcoDiesel 3.0l changed from 5w30 C3 to 5w40 CJ-4. I've actually been considering using a 15w40 synblend for a 5k OCI.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Can you run a 5w40 Dexos2 if 0w20 isn't available?

I'm sure you can. Will it effect the engine performance, only GM knows. I bet they are doing this mainly for CAFE purposes. This is a completely new design from GM. So not sure what the oil system consist of until it gets released.

FCA did switch from 5W30 to a 5W40 as stated above. GM should just use the same oil specified for the Chevy Cruze/Equinox diesel which is a 5W30.

You'd have to be a moron to put that water in any diesel engine! I'm sorry but if this isn't CAFE driven I don't know what is...

Go ahead, I'll bet a paycheck engines begin failing left and right and the switch to a 5W40 comes very shortly from GM.

35.gif
Wow. The high vis guys are going to go crazy!

Originally Posted By: Rat407
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Can you run a 5w40 Dexos2 if 0w20 isn't available?

I'm sure you can. Will it effect the engine performance, only GM knows. I bet they are doing this mainly for CAFE purposes. This is a completely new design from GM. So not sure what the oil system consist of until it gets released.

I thought this was the same Dmax that is available down under? Dang, brand new design?

Who would run the 0W20 in that? Seriously!

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
You'd have to be a moron to put that water in any diesel engine! I'm sorry but if this isn't CAFE driven I don't know what is...

Go ahead, I'll bet a paycheck engines begin failing left and right and the switch to a 5W40 comes very shortly from GM.

The same moron that purchase it new and follows GM's recommendation to keep it in warranty. Like I stated above it is a completely new design straight six diesel and being built in Michigan from my understanding. No other information is being released. So no torque or HP specs or even fuel economy but GM is stating that we will not be disappointed and it will be better than the Ram and Ford 1500 diesel.

The same moron that purchase it new and follows GM's recommendation to keep it in warranty. Like I stated above it is a completely new design straight six diesel and being built in Michigan from my understanding. No other information is being released. So no torque or HP specs or even fuel economy but GM is stating that we will not be disappointed and it will be better than the Ram and Ford 1500 diesel.
GM is the heart Break of America.

I would guess that this oil will be something similar to FA-4 oils with an HTHS of 2.9-3.2 (???) and not like a PCMO 0W20 that is 2.6(ish).
smile.gif

Plus it's an inline 6, which will probably have bigger bearings than the V-6 diesel in Ram and Ford.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dustyroads
I would guess that this oil will be something similar to FA-4 oils with an HTHS of 2.9-3.2 (???) and not like a PCMO 0W20 that is 2.6(ish).
smile.gif

Plus it's an inline 6, which will probably have bigger bearings than the V-6 diesel in Ram and Ford.

If anything, I don't own a diesel engine but didn't Detroit Diesel(Daimler), Volvo and PACCAR test 10W-30 extensively in their current engine platform and that a I6 does have the advantages of bigger rod/crank bearings compared to a pickup-spec V8?

But then again, won't the geartrain in a diesel engine driving the HPFP, oil pump and accessory drives also shear the oil down quicker as well?

I'd be buying the specified oil for the receipts if I purchased $40000 USD truck that I intended to keep. Just because it is a new engine does not mean it was designed with 0W20 in mind. What other diesel engines do you know of that spec an xW20? I'm not a tribologist or engineer, just a BITOGer who likes it thicc.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Originally Posted By: dustyroads
smile.gif

If anything, I don't own a diesel engine but didn't Detroit Diesel(Daimler), Volvo and PACCAR test 10W-30 extensively in their current engine platform and that a I6 does have the advantages of bigger rod/crank bearings compared to a pickup-spec V8?

But then again, won't the geartrain in a diesel engine driving the HPFP, oil pump and accessory drives also shear the oil down quicker as well?

I haven't kept up with other engine manufacturers, but Detroit allows the new FA-4 oils to be used in the DD platform engines going back several years (I believe). The factory fill in a new Detroit is an FA-4 of some sort (5W-30/10W-30), not sure which.

The shearing is a non-issue now. The 15W-40s used to shear down a little, but the new CK-4 and FA-4 are supposed to be much more stable. My experience is with CK-4 and it's working great.

I would figure that the GM I6 is going to be longer and have bigger bearings with the ability to carry more load than the little V-6s. I'm just going by what I've read about in general, nothing more.

Going back a few years, Volvo used to mock Navistar when comparing their 13L engines. Volvo pointed out that their crank had much larger journals and corresponding larger bearings to carry the load better and last longer.

Could use the new (2019 Corvette oil) M1 0w-40 ESP dexos2 oil in everything for the summer; then use the new 0w20 stuff in the winter.

0w-20 in a truck diesel? Holy only. Either way, I can't wait to see how this works out.

Maybe some of 540Rat's research (that 20 weight oils can take the highest loads) will be confirmed by this engine?
grin.gif

I bet that a mono-grade such as Delo 400 SAE 20, would pass 15W20 cold performance. So why waste money on synthetic 0W20 or 5W20 in warm climates?

Look at it this way. Someone will follow the specification to the letter, or they'll want the cheapest, most available HDEO they can find. That leaves SAE 20 out in the cold, as it were.
wink.gif

Back