Oil for Kawi FH680V on Ferris zero turn

Status
Not open for further replies.
A family member's 62" Ferris was just repowered with a Kawasaki FH680V. The gentleman that did the repower only sells/uses Amsoil. He put 10w40 small engine in it for break in. $10 per quart isn't happening when I have HDEO options for $5 or less available.

I figured I would spring for a Fram Ultra but wanted to know if Rotella T6 5w40 or plain old Rotella SAE30 would suffice. The mower gets 4-6 hours per week from March/April to October/November. I am tempted to just pour 2 quarts of JD Plus 50 II from the bucket into it 2-3 times per year and change the filter once a year.

It seems the internet wants anything from SAE30 to 20w50 in this engine. I don't have an engine manual and haven't taken the time to write the serial # down and look it up via Kawasaki's website.

What say the OPE experts?

I've run amsoil motorcyle oils and hdd (diesel) oils in my fr651v kaw engine. Currently i'm running delo 400 15w 40 seems to do as well, and a lot less expensive.

10W-30 , 5W-40, 15W-40, 20w-50 which ever you choose make it a quality brand.

Mew machines with Kawasaki power call for
8-10 hour break ins. With Amsoil in it, you could
go a bit longer if you wish. good oil, just way
overpriced.

Above oil choices are all good.
Just stick with a brand name.

My 2¢

I think the guy is crazy breaking in an engine with Amsoil synthetic.

Use the John Deere 15W40 if you have it. Perfectly good stuff.

The gentlemen doing the setup pretty smart guy and I would do and have done the same with my Zturn mower. Amsoil is an excellent and about the best choice you can get it for less.

Using synthetic for break-in isn't normally recommended. Seems like the guy doing the work is trying to move product and make money.

I owned a Husqvarna riding mower for over twelve years with a Kawasaki FH530v engine. All I used was mostly HDEO 15W40 conventional, usually Rotella. If I was low on that, I'd throw anything I had in the garage in it from 5W30 to 15W40.

Kawasaki make excellent OPE engines and they're not particularly fussy. That mower is 16 years old now and has been cutting three 1/2 lawns twice a week. Last time I looked it had around 1500 hours on it and it's still going strong.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

I wouldn't. I've found that 15w-40 is a bit thick for Kawasaki engines, especially in cold weather in Illinois.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

I wouldn't. I've found that 15w-40 is a bit thick for Kawasaki engines, especially in cold weather in Illinois.
How often is a zero turn going to be out in the cold? 15w-40 runs fine in my 17 HP Kaw.

I struggle with this as well. How do you know a certain oil is a bit thick? Especially when you are looking at a mower that isn't going to be starting/operating in anything less than 40 degrees? My Kawasaki manual says I could run a straight 30wt oil in those conditions. I used to run 15w-40, but have defaulted to just straight 30 oil. Seems to be working just fine, but if I had a pail of Plus 50 lying around, like the OP, I'd probably just use that.

Granted I live in Florida, and you live in IL, but in my experience, I ALWAYS run 40 weight in every Kawasaki engine. These things just love SAE40 or 15W40 oil.

And I had a small engine shop and have done thousands of oil changes. I ALWAYS recommended 40 weight for all Kawasaki engines down here. Always. But most of my customers were commercial accounts that were a lot harder on engines than Cleetus P. Homeowner that mows his lawn for 40 minutes once a week.

But honestly, as long as you maintain it and change the oil as required, any 10W30, SAE30, etc will be perfect. Syn blend HDEO 10W30 would be good stuff for you northern folks.

UPDATE:

The engine calls for SAE30 or 10w30 SG/SH/SJ.

The owner of the mower insisted the mechanic's Amsoil recommendation be followed. I picked up an XG-4967 and 2 quarts of Amsoil AMO. The mechanic had put Amsoil ASF in it as the initial fill. Nothing like a $30.35 oil change for a lawn mower.

I didn't feel comfortable putting a 30 in the engine. It has ports for an oil cooler but it isn't installed.

I wonder why he wouldn't want to continue to use Amsoil ASF 10W-40 Synthetic Small Engine Oil? It's a little cheaper.

Granted mine is low hours at 630hrs but my 21hp Kawasaki has lived off AMSOIL ASE 10w-30 since new with Ea010 and now Ea15k09 oil filters since new and runs great with no oil consumption. I change it out once a year so as to not store it in the off months with dirty oil in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back