Weed eater oil mix question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My weed eater calls for a 40:1 oil mix. My mini tiller calls for a 50:1 mix. Can I just run the weed eater on a 50:1 mix without any harm? Or vice versa? Perhaps a middle of the road mix for both at 45:1?

Difference is minimal between 40 and 50. I would run both at 40:1 w a good 2 cycle oil. I bought a quart of Elf synthetic 2 stroke motorcycle oil 5 years ago and still have half the qt left. My craftsman (trimmer), toro (blower) and Ryobi chainsaw are running fine w it at 40:1

Just last week at Lowe's I picked up some made in USA all ratio 2 cycle oil. It could be used in 16:1, 32:1, 40:1, 50:1 and perhaps more if I recall. I think the bottle was all black but I don't recall the name of it. I don't think it was Pro-Mix but I'm not sure now.

Working fine in my weed eater (40:1) and my leaf blower (50:1) after I mixed it in a 2.5 gallon fuel can.

In my experience, the newer stuff with the sealed carbs will run exactly right with the manufactures recommended 40:1 mix. When you try to run 50:1, the engine runs terrible, as the fuel ratio is now off and the engine carb needs adjusted. I have seen this several times.

If you mix it yourself, try 45:1 in both as a compromise. If you buy the premix cans, try 50:1 and see if it works. If it does, great. If not, then you might need to keep two types of fuel around.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
I'd run both at 50:1

40:1 is going to cause the engine to run dirty and load every thing up with carbon.

Err, highly unlikely with today's oils and equipment. You don't have much to lose by running more oil except more oil used and maybe a little more mess...been discussed ad-nauseam.

Originally Posted By: ctechbob

40:1 is going to cause the engine to run dirty and load every thing up with carbon.

Err, highly unlikely with today's oils and equipment. You don't have much to lose by running more oil except more oil used and maybe a little more mess...been discussed ad-nauseam.

Agreed. 40:1 in a 50:1 machine isn't going to hurt a thing. I always run 2 stroke stuff a little richer than what they call for. The 50:1 garbage is there to satisfy the EPA, not improve engine life. Don't let some idiot in a suit who's never used a power tool decide your oil ratio.

Run everything on 1:50...it is possible with nowadays API TC/Jaso FC/FD oils...

Diferences come because of some "old style" OPE equipement has bronze bushings instead of needle bearings...but with nowadays 2T oils you really dont have to bother anymore...

Originally Posted By: OilFilters
Originally Posted By: ctechbob

Agreed. 40:1 in a 50:1 machine isn't going to hurt a thing. I always run 2 stroke stuff a little richer than what they call for. The 50:1 garbage is there to satisfy the EPA, not improve engine life. Don't let some idiot in a suit who's never used a power tool decide your oil ratio.

I agree. I think some of these fuel oil ratios are about cutting pollution, not protecting the engine. I'm running mine at 32:1. I had a Troy Bilt machine die on me a few weeks ago after about 6 years of service and I decided to tear it apart to see if it was worth salvaging. After visual inspection and talking with a few people that are quite knowledgeable about 2 cycle engines I decided a little more oil was the way to go with my new machine. Carbon wasn't an issue.

I have an old Evinrude outboard engine from 1988, which was supposed to run on 100:1, which I never did. The engines that did run 100:1 were failing like crazy, even though the engine was supposed to be designed to run 100:1 after break in. IIRC they back spec'd them to 50:1.

Tuning for speed by AG Bell, he increased the oil fuel ratio and every increase was more power and less wear.

I run somewhere between 25 and 32 to 1 in everything...nothing gets carboned up. Yes the exhaust is wet, but to me, I want the entire cycle lubricated, not a dry exhaust port.

Anyone who knows anything about two strokes will always default to more oil vs. less oil. Never seen a two cycle engine seize due to too much oil.

I even run my 100:1 outboard engines at 75:1. If a water pump fails, that extra oil can make the difference between seizure and being able to limp home a low speed. I Know that from personal experience.

When in doubt, always go with more oil.

Another over oiler here. I had the muffler off my '75 Stihl Farmboss to replace a lost screw. The exhaust port was clean as a whistle. Never fouled a plug either. Meantime, my brother has worn out 2 Stihls running them at 50:1

Yes, 40:1 is the leanest you should run any 2 stroke, especially an air cooled engine. It has been proven time and time again that more oil increases ring seal, bearing life and overall power and longevity. Don't fall for the EPA hype and run 50:1 or more, you're just asking for trouble down the road.

There are several articles on the web that validate testings ratios down to 15:1 and the engines gain HP. proving better ring seal and better combustion.

The 50:1 suggestions is the same as the push to run 0W20 in everything... its NOT there to increase durability/longevity, I can assure you of that!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Tuning for speed by AG Bell, he increased the oil fuel ratio and every increase was more power and less wear.

I run somewhere between 25 and 32 to 1 in everything...nothing gets carboned up. Yes the exhaust is wet, but to me, I want the entire cycle lubricated, not a dry exhaust port.

Pretty much my thinking now, after only getting 6 years out of my last machine following the recommended mix. I should have followed my outboard and chainsaw logic with that line trimmer, I'd probably still have it. I decided to run the new Husqvarna at 32:1 instead of 50:1.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Shannow

Pretty much my thinking now, after only getting 6 years out of my last machine following the recommended mix. I should have followed my outboard and chainsaw logic with that line trimmer, I'd probably still have it. I decided to run the new Husqvarna at 32:1 instead of 50:1.

I've done a lot of testing over the years and love 2 strokes. We've found that my son's race bikes run perfect at 32:1 and last a very long time before needing a refresh.

I'm not an AMSOIL fan but I do love their Dominator 2T race oil, it suggests 50:1 but we go 32:1 in everything and all my 2T OPE runs the same fuel/oil mix no matter what is suggested.

How do you come to that conclusion? 40:1 will hurt nothing and that is what I would run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back